edited July 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    1. 5'5"
    2. Mid-130s pounds
    3. 63
    4. Female
    5. No idea
    6. About 3 years (after almost 1 year losing)
    7. Very uneven. Probably 2200-2400-ish gross on average, maybe a bit more? Wild guess. 1850 net most days, way over occasionally. (Consistent 1850 net would yield slow loss). With the peaks, some stepwise very gradual gain (even post water weight), so sometimes need to cut a bit.
    8. Maybe 250-300 x 6 days a week, usually.
    9. Rowing (boats when I can, machines when I must) and spinning, mostly; occasionally other things.
    10. 45 minutes to an hour.

What is your daily activity level apart from exercise?

Sedentary to lightly active, in MFP terms, I think: The former most of the time in Winter, more in the latter direction in more outdoorsy seasons. My tracker says I've averaged 6,975 steps daily for the last 7 days, which has been on the walk-y side for me. In Winter, there are many weeks where most days are 2,000-3,000-ish.

I'm retired, mostly sedentary hobbies outside of intentional exercise, but I do more yard and garden stuff in warm weather, as well as having more steps because of my summer exercise. (Not the exercise per se: In warmer seasons, when I row on water, I go to the rowing club, walk around there some before rowing, go out for coffee with my rowing buddies, etc.; and am more likely to do things for fun like visit gardens, to to more farmers markets, etc., so more incidental walking vs. Winter when most rowing is at home. I also work out less in Winter, because rowing machines are way less fun than boats. ;) )

Thank you for your detailed response Ann! You must have a higher than average RMR and a fidgety-NEATy way of living. 😊

I've asked a couple of my most brutally honest friends whether they think of me as fidgety, but they both said no. One said that when I talk, I'm very animated (large gestures).

I think there may be several things that are relevant (purely speculating), each accounting for only a small number of calories, but they maybe add up: I think I carry a little more muscle than most women my age; I enjoy eating largely simple, one-ingredient foods cooked at home, some of them raw, with plenty of both protein and fiber (so may be on the higher side of average TEF expenditure); unlike many women my age, I haven't much yo-yo dieted over the years (mostly just stayed fat until 2015); my house has living areas on the 2nd floor, so I'm up and down stairs lots, and all groceries and such go up the stairs; I do things intentionally to use strength and spend NEAT calories (like grocery shopping with a handbasket whenever possible . . . and a broad definition of possible ;) ); etc.

But I really have no idea. (I kinda feel like I'm getting away with something!)

I have no reason to believe my RMR is high: My body temperature is normal, my max heart rate is a bit higher than age estimates (around 180), but my regular operating heart rate is normal (resting HR usually high forties to low 50s), etc. Don't know, though.

ETA: I'm hypothyroid, but happiest when medicated to the low end of the TSH reference range, so I guess that could contribute a little. Don't really know, though.
  • Tolstolobik
    Tolstolobik Posts: 78 Member
    1. 5'5"
    2. Mid-130s pounds
    3. 63
    4. Female
    5. No idea
    6. About 3 years (after almost 1 year losing)
    7. Very uneven. Probably 2200-2400-ish gross on average, maybe a bit more? Wild guess. 1850 net most days, way over occasionally. (Consistent 1850 net would yield slow loss). With the peaks, some stepwise very gradual gain (even post water weight), so sometimes need to cut a bit.
    8. Maybe 250-300 x 6 days a week, usually.
    9. Rowing (boats when I can, machines when I must) and spinning, mostly; occasionally other things.
    10. 45 minutes to an hour.

What is your daily activity level apart from exercise?

Sedentary to lightly active, in MFP terms, I think: The former most of the time in Winter, more in the latter direction in more outdoorsy seasons. My tracker says I've averaged 6,975 steps daily for the last 7 days, which has been on the walk-y side for me. In Winter, there are many weeks where most days are 2,000-3,000-ish.

I'm retired, mostly sedentary hobbies outside of intentional exercise, but I do more yard and garden stuff in warm weather, as well as having more steps because of my summer exercise. (Not the exercise per se: In warmer seasons, when I row on water, I go to the rowing club, walk around there some before rowing, go out for coffee with my rowing buddies, etc.; and am more likely to do things for fun like visit gardens, to to more farmers markets, etc., so more incidental walking vs. Winter when most rowing is at home. I also work out less in Winter, because rowing machines are way less fun than boats. ;) )

Thank you for your detailed response Ann! You must have a higher than average RMR and a fidgety-NEATy way of living. 😊

I've asked a couple of my most brutally honest friends whether they think of me as fidgety, but they both said no. One said that when I talk, I'm very animated (large gestures).

I think there may be several things that are relevant (purely speculating), each accounting for only a small number of calories, but they maybe add up: I think I carry a little more muscle than most women my age; I enjoy eating largely simple, one-ingredient foods cooked at home, some of them raw, with plenty of both protein and fiber (so may be on the higher side of average TEF expenditure); unlike many women my age, I haven't much yo-yo dieted over the years (mostly just stayed fat until 2015); my house has living areas on the 2nd floor, so I'm up and down stairs lots, and all groceries and such go up the stairs; I do things intentionally to use strength and spend NEAT calories (like grocery shopping with a handbasket whenever possible . . . and a broad definition of possible ;) ); etc.

But I really have no idea. (I kinda feel like I'm getting away with something!)

I have no reason to believe my RMR is high: My body temperature is normal, my max heart rate is a bit higher than age estimates (around 180), but my regular operating heart rate is normal (resting HR usually high forties to low 50s), etc. Don't know, though.

ETA: I'm hypothyroid, but happiest when medicated to the low end of the TSH reference range, so I guess that could contribute a little. Don't really know, though.

So many little factors are at play influencing your higher than average TDEE at rest. Thank you again for your detailed response!