Does anyone actually like kale?

Replies

• warriorboy
    warriorboy Posts: 2 Member
    Here’s the key to tasty Kale... you have to cut the leaves from the stem and rinse well. Then draw a sink/tub of cool water an put the kale in the water. Sprinkle with salt. Massage, massage, massage. ( I know it sounds nutty, but it helps remove some of the bitterness... just like when you rinse quinoa.) Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cool water. Squeeze the kale to get out excess water. Wrap in a clean dish towel and place in the frig to chill. I generally chop the leaves very fine as
    I prefer kale raw, in a salad with shredded carrots, red onion, red peppers and sliced apple or pear or fresh berries. I usually make my own citrus salad dressing.
    If you try this and don’t care for it... kale might not be your veggie of choice right now... put it aside and come back to it later. Our tastes tend to change over time and if you’re working on changing your eating habits, it takes time. Best of Luck to you!
  • hollieponine
    hollieponine Posts: 14 Member
    I LOVE KALE!
    It’s honestly one of my favorite foods.
    Of all time. :)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Try baby kale.
  • shoebarb
    shoebarb Posts: 9 Member
    Hate kale. Will eat it if it's hidden in a smoothie. Google some healthy veggie recipes. Keep trying until you find some you can stand.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    How many of you kale haters are getting tender kale straight from the garden? I agree that mature kale that was picked long ago is practically inedible, especially if it was also chopped.

If you want to give it another try but don't have access to garden-fresh kale, try baby kale.

I have 30-60 grams of kale in smoothies. (When 30 g, there's another 30 g of Swiss chard.)

I use kale in Thai Beef Salad. I let the kale marinate for an hour or so. I also like kale salad with EVOO, vinegar, tuna, carrots, and cheddar cheese.

I also like https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015085-pasta-with-anchovies-garlic-chiles-and-kale

In soup season, I've made something similar to "Easy Portuguese Kale Soup": https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232405/easy-portuguese-kale-soup/ which is also a staple at the soup bar in one of my local supermarkets.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I've tried a variety of kales. The jury is in. I hate all of them. 😣
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I like baby kale but not the large leaves. I eat it in a salad with a cherry balsamic vinaigrette from
    Nordstrom Cafe’ or in my green smoothie with pineapple and coconut water.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Kale smoothies all around!!! mmm... delicious kale!!!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Roasted and salted with Parmesan or feta... actually a huge fan!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Only as an ingredient in soup.
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    Put Kale in your smoothie! I’m not a big fan of fresh kale as it’s tough to chew and when I had it cooked, all those good vitamins get blanched out of it, so not getting the benefits really. I add about a cup or more shredded fresh to my morning smoothies and when I do it regularly have noticed a positive difference in my skin.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Don't like it and don't eat it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Trying new things is laudable, especially trying new things several times, in different ways, to give them a fair chance.

I liked kale right off, and I like it in various ways. I had a big serving in a stir fry just a couple of days ago. But I don't know any prep methods that make it taste unlike itself.

I think you've given kale a fair chance, so it's OK to move on and try something else. ;)

This. I don't like kale but do like spinach, another food I never ate growing up. I also don't like quinoa, so I don't eat it :)

Keep trying new things, though! The next one might be a winner.

@pinuplove
    I love kale salad, hate spinach, love quinoa.
    If we ever do meet, let’s agree not to go out for salad together. Lol.

Op I agree with you and everyone else. Kale tastes like kale. If you don’t like it, don’t eat it.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Yes, I do, but you don’t have to eat it if you’re not into it (plenty of other leafy greens!). I sauté it in olive oil until softened, add sliced sweet Italian sausage, and cranberries. One of my favorite meals, but it’s not for everyone.
  • smkrugman
    smkrugman Posts: 1 Member
    hi all of you non kale lovers! I never like kale untilllllll- I started chopping it up in small pieces and adding it to bean soups, not much taste and getting vitamins. Also I like to put part kale into my veggie lasagna subbing for some of the spinach...also in spanokopita. For spanokopita I use part olive oil and part butter to cut down on the satfat. Another trick with kale because I think it is a super veg is to steam it just a little and add to salad with a good balsamic vinegar. I think that small amounts are not overwhelming and it can take up to sixty tries before a person embraces a new food. Worked for me with olives and other foods that I did not love right away.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    😖kale
    😀arugula
  • amyleehauser
    amyleehauser Posts: 9 Member
    I like it if it's in a smoothy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I have some kale marinating in this right now: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229270/spicy-rice-noodle-salad/
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    This had me rolling. I hate kale and have tried many times to add it into my diet but... WHY? Mainly because it is touted as being a "super food" which is a bunch of hype. Once I researched nutrition, I learned that every whole food provides nutritional benefits. If you don't like something, don't eat it. I strongly dislike most vegetables and find that blending them with fruits makes them edible. That works for me but not everyone. Ultimately, this is about making life long changes. Do what works for you, don't force things 😊👍