Does anyone actually like kale?

1235»

Replies

• juliamc183
    juliamc183 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2019
    I eat kale pretty much every day. What I do is microwave a lot of it in the microwave for two minutes, throw it in my lunch salad along with tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, olives and feta, then dress it with olive oil and lemon. You can't even taste the kale because the olives and feta have such strong flavours, but it's an absolutely delicious salad and I look forward to eating it every day at work.

Wouldn't eat it by itself unless sprinkled with salt and olive oil and baked in the oven.
  • Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 41 Member
    I don't there's a vegetable I don't like, except kale...the devil's weeds >:):D
  • emeraldwoods4214
    emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
    I love kale when it’s prepared to my liking!
    If you want to get adventurous, try out this recipe... I’ve gotten my mom and other friends to try it who claim to hate kale, and they loved it! You can’t taste the bitter flavor.
    The trick is to give the kale a spa treatment... wash very well and the massage the greens with the dressing... like a deep tissue massage 😉
    https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/kale-brussels-sprout-salad-cranberries-toasted-almonds/
    I made a version of this and sold it at the cafe where I work... it sold out everyday!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited July 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ...I agree that mature kale that was picked long ago is practically inedible, especially if it was also chopped. ...If you want to give it another try but don't have access to garden-fresh kale, try baby kale.

Agree.

I like kale, but I'm from the South and my grandparents had a farm: I ate tons of collard greens growing up and both kale and collards are in the acephala group. So I tend to eat kale greens the way I do collards, which is to say:

1) I buy them from a local organic* grower, who has
    2) picked them young, while they are still tender and I
    3) eat them while they are really fresh.

Also, bitter greens are much better, IMHO, in the winter, when they have undergone a frost. I would never eat collards, or kale, in the summer as they are out of season. Again, just my opinion.

In my family collards were made the traditional way: cleaned**, chopped, and stewed with side meat for many hours. I try to be a little more healthy in the way I cook mine, so I stir fry them sans side meat. But if collards are stir fried it really is important to cut out the tough veins, which I do. Then they get cooked with some tamari, toasted sesame oil, and vinegar. OMG they are so good.

In fact, even though I like kale OK, I usually end up eating collards because they are more available and cheaper. I have never understood this movement to make kale some kind of special superfood. It is not more super than collards. I pretty much agree with this: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2016/october/collards-vs-kale-and-other-superstar-supergreens/

*I don't taste a difference with organic in regards to most veggies, but for some reason it does make a difference with bitter greens... again, just my experience/opinion.

**The main reason I do not eat more greens, because any decent greens come out of the field with lots of dirt on them and take an inordinate amount of time to wash. And if they come prewashed, in a plastic bag, then you know they are not fresh. So no, that is not an option.

• hcalhoun22
    hcalhoun22 Posts: 12 Member
    I love kale. I think its key to massage your kale especially if you are eating it raw. Homemade kale chips are a big hit at my house. I massage the kale with a little olive oil season with cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powder a little salt and pepper sometimes nutritional yeast and bake for 12-15 minutes. It tastes like kale but its so good.
  • DanLynch184
    DanLynch184 Posts: 1 Member
    In mash potatoes. Yes.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    I don't dislike it, but I like spinach a lot more so that's what I choose to buy/prepare at home.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Kale, collards, turnip greens - love them all! But NOT raw. We cook them southern style, for a long time until soft, with a tsp. of bacon grease added to the pot.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    I love kale! Make sure you remove the stems though. Then I sauté it in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. Yum!

Kale chips are also yummy- BUT do not overlook them or they are hideously awful. 250 degrees for 10 minutes should do it. Slay and pepper or Old Bay seasoning.

But hey, if you’re given them the old college try and you just don’t care for them, move on to something else. No shame for not loving kale!