Night shift stress

Options
Has anyone ever noticed how their body temp, heart rate, and metabolism slows during working a night shift? Is this detrimental to “gains”?

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    dlbohl1991 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever noticed how their body temp, heart rate, and metabolism slows during working a night shift? Is this detrimental to “gains”?

There's been a lot of research surrounding the detrimental effects of working the night shift on overall health. There's a book called "Strong Medicine" that talks about this quite extensively. They provide a lot of remedies in there for it. Definitely worth the read.
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MT1134 wrote: »
    dlbohl1991 wrote: »

There's been a lot of research surrounding the detrimental effects of working the night shift on overall health. There's a book called "Strong Medicine" that talks about this quite extensively. They provide a lot of remedies in there for it. Definitely worth the read.
    Awesome thank you. My work week is actually 1 first shift 2 second shifts and 2third shifts but the last 2 of the week( the 3rd shifts) always make me feel catabolic and just drained
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Switching shift night, day, mid day, etc. can be draining as hell; not so draining if shift is set in stone/consistent. Been doing night shift over 5 years now but not switching my sleep cycles around like some people attempt; doing just fine. I'm generally a fan of not ****'ing around constantly with my circadian rhythm
  • dlbohl1991
    dlbohl1991 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I completely agree
    Switching shift night, day, mid day, etc. can be draining as hell; not so draining if shift is set in stone/consistent. Been doing night shift over 5 years now but not switching my sleep cycles around like some people attempt; doing just fine. I'm generally a fan of not ****'ing around constantly with my circadian rhythm

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Working thirds doesn't impact metabolism, heart rate, or body temp in any causal manner.

There is a good deal of objective evidence showing higher sick rates, injuries, and depression in third shift workers.

I suspect a wide number of smaller issues which at a whole have an overall detrimental impact. There's a detachment to the majority as most live their lives during the day and sleep at night. There's a loss of sunlight which impacts vitamin D directly and a host of other factors more difficult to quantify.

I worked straight thirds years ago as a police officer. I learned quickly that I needed a great deal of discipline to maintain and improve. I made friends with a solid group and we made sure we worked out every day and held each other accountable.
  • screech33
    screech33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a Night shift Nurse for 8 years. I am loosing weight slowly but progressing 1 lb a week. Won't do any other shift. Absolutely love it. Sleep til 3 gym til 4:30. works great for me!!