Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fair to Request “No Junk Food” at HOME?

Replies

• TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    When I first started eating healthier to lose weight, it was very difficult to be around sweets because I hadn’t yet completely transitioned out of that “eat-whatever-I-want-free-for-all” mindset. After a couple weeks of steady weight loss under my belt, I had the motivation and willpower to ignore the extra chips/cookies/etc that were in my house. On occasion I’m frustrated (envious?) watching other family members snacking or chowing down on cake with reckless abandon when I don’t have the budgeted calories to over-indulge in it as well, but 99% of the time it doesn’t phase me.

I don’t think it’s unfair to *ask* (not demand) that your husband either not have it in the house or to hide it extremely well (don’t let him tell you which option he chooses so that you don’t go hunting for it!). You have a diagnosed disorder with sleep-eating that you have not yet overcome. I don’t think it’s unfair to ask your husband to help you with what is considered a medical issue. And if your hubby says it doesn’t bother him, take him at his word. It is typically women who say they are “fine” when they usually are not (in my experience). If your husband said he was not OK with keeping his snacks out of sight, it would be a different story. Be thankful you have a very supportive husband— he sounds like a good guy who wants to help his wife succeed. :)
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    I think it's fair to ask, but agree with others it's an ask the other people in the house need to be on board with. It's not necessarily something we can demand. At our house, we keep minimal junk and the compromise is buying things that don't tempt me but that he still loves. Flavors of ice cream that aren't my favorite, chip flavors I don't really like, his favorite candies that aren't my faves, etc. Also having my husband put his things on a high pantry shelf that I can't reach without a stool is helpful. It sounds silly, but my self-control stinks and a barrier plus knowing it's "HIS", plus not being my favorite is what it takes to me my sneaky paws off!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Why don't you get a cooler or something with a lock on it. He can keep his stuff there.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Tried, didn't work.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Since our children have left home my husband and I have agreed to not have sugary confectionery and crisps in the house. It works really well for both of us. We seldom eat that type of food which is beneficial to both of us and if we want to eat it we may eat it elsewhere. I am glad that we have both come to this arrangement. I could not force my husband not to bring such food in unless he agreed to it. We both benefit from this policy and we keep plenty of good healthy food in the house.
  • ConatyHM2226
    ConatyHM2226 Posts: 1 Member
    Out of sight out of mind
  • I think it's fair to request no junk food at home, but if the other people are not willing to give up the junk food, they should at least try to help keep you honest and accountable. I found that those closest to me sometimes are the worst sources of peer pressure when it comes to sharing in poor eating habits. I guess that kind of sounds harsh, but sometimes you need that extra help from those closest to you