Bodyweight vs Free weights

irejb
irejb Posts: 64 Member
I want to get into resistance training as I only doing cardio at the moment and really need to tone up.

Problem is I don't know if bodyweight resistance or using free weights better for beginner.

I am also a bit scared of lifting weights as I am bad at form and have a tendency to hurt myself whenever I attempt to lift weights.

Anyway, can you get tone with just bodyweight? And is it better for a beginner to start off with bodyweight or free weights? Thanks.

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    irejb wrote: »
    I want to get into resistance training as I only doing cardio at the moment and really need to tone up.

Problem is I don't know if bodyweight resistance or using free weights better for beginner.

I am also a bit scared of lifting weights as I am bad at form and have a tendency to hurt myself whenever I attempt to lift weights.

Anyway, can you get tone with just bodyweight? And is it better for a beginner to start off with bodyweight or free weights? Thanks.

I don't think one is necessarily better than another based on beginner or advanced. I think you go with what you're comfortable with and what you have access to.

Bodyweight and weights can both be used to add muscle to your frame. However, I personally think it's easier to go with using external resistance (free weights/machines) because you can add smaller increments when increasing resistance.
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Powerclean2deadlift Posts: 35 Member

If you have bad form it means you don't know how to do the lifts correctly. Learning correct form for squats, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press could pay in dividends in terms of "toning up".

If you can't do them then i cannot stress enough DONT do them. Or learn. In which case a personal trainer who is trained to teach them might be away to go? If not videos, books, asking the people who work at the gym to help you (not ideal and not always better than nothing)

Bodyweight also has its own form but you would be better off going down this route if you don't want to invest in learning correct form for weightlifting.

In my humble opinion powerlifting is amazing and i always encourage people to invest in themselves and learn to moves. Starting Strength is a great beginner program. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Check out the Beginner programs in this post, a few are just bodyweight:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • irejb
    Thanks for the responses.

I know working on my form is key. Unfortunately, I can't afford a personal trainer.

I try to follow strength training videos, but I still don't think I use the correct form with some of the moves.

I really want to start doing weight resistance. I'm really love cardio, but it does not tone me.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member

I know working on my form is key. Unfortunately, I can't afford a personal trainer.

I try to follow strength training videos, but I still don't think I use the correct form with some of the moves.

I really want to start doing weight resistance. I'm really love cardio, but it does not tone me.

You can up the resistance on cardio machines and that will help a little in terms of using muscle to help "tone".

Some gyms offer free program sessions where they'll give you a program and give you one free session with a trainer to help you start off right.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I train in martial arts, so most of what I do is body weight exercises. I try to supement with weight lifting, but I only lift once every week at most, so it's not my main thing. Ultimately I think weight lifting is the best for muscle definition, but body weight exercises have been plenty effective in building strength, tone, and definition.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Dumbbells plus machines are great for any level.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm all about that yogi life.

Using my body weight for me is not only effective but it's more fun than free weights. Weight lifting bores me to tears.

same. aerial yogi life for me :)
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Using my body weight for me is not only effective but it's more fun than free weights. Weight lifting bores me to tears.

I still haven't tried aerial yoga! There's a great place here where I could try it out. You've inspired me.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Don't forget about considering Resistance Bands. SKLZ, for instance, makes some really nice Handles where you can put up to three resistance bands in them. I also like that they don't use metal grometts -- those are very dangerous if the band breaks.

Resistance bands can be cheaper than Dumbbells. You can have a really great home workout system with Resistance Bands, bodyweight and some dumbbells. I like adjustable dumbbells that I can load/deload. Add in an adjustable Kettlebell, you can do so many things.
  • irejb
    Thank again!

I'm going to try lifting weights again. I've found a couple of weight lifting videos geared towards beginners. 😀

Some of the posts here have peaked my interest in yoga. I've read that certain types of yoga can be strenuous and help build muscles. Im definitely going to look into this as well.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Dumbbells plus machines are great for any level.

yep.

also... focus on your form with light weight as you begin training.

When I train to failure, it's either that I can't manage the weight of the last rep in terms of strength, or I can't maintain proper form. Either way, the set is over and done.

We see too many folks struggling with that last rep or two when their form is way off; it's a recipe for injury.

Best of Luck!

• MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    There is no difference between beginners and advanced, once u get to know how to perform exercises in appropriate form the rest depends on strength which u will get overtime.

I personally like bodyweight exercises like pull ups, dips, pushups...etc. but as a beginner i recommend using machines because it is adjusted and you can progress from using lighter weights to heavier weights as u progress.

If u wanna do an exercise but u r not sure either u r doing it wrong or right there is no shame to ask anyone in gym or coaches.
    Use YouTube also its good

=)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    While losing 80 pounds from home I lifted light to heavy weights. I got great results and didn't have to deal with much loose skin or sagging breasts when I got to my goal.

I used Youtube workouts/fitness DVD's and read books such as The New Rules of Lifting for Women which all helped me to learn the proper forms.

I'm maintaining now, but bodyweight work, using resistance bands, TRX and Pilates helps to keep my body tight and I still have strength.

Good luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I still haven't tried aerial yoga! There's a great place here where I could try it out. You've inspired me.

doooo iiiiiit :)@maureenseel1984
  • irejb
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    While losing 80 pounds from home I lifted light to heavy weights. I got great results and didn't have to deal with much loose skin or sagging breasts when I got to my goal.

I used Youtube workouts/fitness DVD's and read books such as The New Rules of Lifting for Women which all helped me to learn the proper forms.

I'm maintaining now, but bodyweight work, using resistance bands, TRX and Pilates helps to keep my body tight and I still have strength.

Good luck!

Thanks! I found some YouTube videos for weight lifting that looks great.
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member

A bit of advice, record yourself performing the lift you are trying to perfect. Then compare to a tutorial video or one of a pro doing the same lift. This will teach you a multitude of things. Definitely hit the weights though. It's a must for mass.
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    I think most people here hit on kind of the same sorts of comments that I was going to make. For me personally, free weights make more sense than bodyweight simply because I don't have the strength yet to crank out, say, a whole bunch of pushups, for example. In that sort of scenario, it makes sense for me to do bench presses instead. I will say I made massive strength gains when I was doing yoga consistently with only my own bodyweight. As everyone will agree, there's no right answer for everyone. It's all about finding what works for you. As they say, the workout that works is the one that you stick with, and it's very true. I got great results with Stronglifts, for example, but the volume got to be too much with my running and I wasn't able to rest and recover the way I should have been.