Body fat 18% to 15%

Hello

I weigh 98lbs, height 5-1, age 42, Body fat 18%
I want to reduce body fat 15% , what diet plan will work? what macros to set?
I am taking 1200 calories, weight lifting at gym 5 days along with 3 days cardio.

Replies

• HIRAL_NJ
    HIRAL_NJ Posts: 31 Member
    No I m not competing any competition but I would like to do that. Please suggest me if you know how can I do that.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    HIRAL_NJ wrote: »
    No I m not competing any competition but I would like to do that. Please suggest me if you know how can I do that.

If you want to compete be prepared to spend lots of money. You will need a coach as well as $ for all the stuff that goes with it. Bikinis, tanning, bling, supplements, ect etc
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    HIRAL_NJ wrote: »

What type of competitions might you be interested in?. Figure or skill/strength?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    How do you know that you are at 18% BF?

If you are using a bioelectrical device at home or the gym, the results are suspect because such devices are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable.

Nothing is perfect but the best BF measurement methods are DEXA and hydro. W/o accurate data, there's no way to know what your BF actually is.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I would not lose any more weight. Build some muscle and your body fat will trend down...

^^^This. I have a good friend who wants to build muscle and lower body fat, but he's terrified of gaining the weight needed to actually gain muscle, to the point where he consistently undereats and seems to actually be losing muscle trying to lower bf.

The worst part? He knows he needs to up his diet. He's lost about 100lbs and is afraid something will go wrong and he will gain it all back. I don't see that with guys that often, but he's one.

Build that muscle. Folks here know how to do it OP and will be happy to offer plenty of guidance.
  • HIRAL_NJ
    Thanks everyone!! time to gain now:)
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    stdyh4nd wrote: »
    I would not lose any more weight. Build some muscle and your body fat will trend down...

I second this. I was at 16.6 % BF and lost 5 lbs to try to get to 15%. I got to 15.5% BF but lost 4lbs of muscle out of the 5 lbs I lost. At a certain point the body will cannibalize muscle over fat especially in the 15-18% range. My plan is now to lean bulk another 8 lbs to hopefully reach 13%.

Are you doing a competition? Is that why you're planning on gettting down to 13%?

A true 13% bf for a female is going to be very uncomfortable
  • stdyh4nd
    stdyh4nd Posts: 11 Member
    Rammer123 wrote: »
    stdyh4nd wrote: »

I second this. I was at 16.6 % BF and lost 5 lbs to try to get to 15%. I got to 15.5% BF but lost 4lbs of muscle out of the 5 lbs I lost. At a certain point the body will cannibalize muscle over fat especially in the 15-18% range. My plan is now to lean bulk another 8 lbs to hopefully reach 13%.

Are you doing a competition? Is that why you're planning on gettting down to 13%?

A true 13% bf for a female is going to be very uncomfortable

13% is my personal goal - was not intending for that to sound like a recommendation to the OP. I'm just interested in seeing what's possible with moderate effort... for science ;)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I understood that, but when talking BF% with someone of the opposite sex, it might make it more relevant to include a translation. So you might say "I'm trying to reach 13%, which is about 22-24% in a female".

The OP is trying to go from a male equivalent of 8% to 6% which is already pretty low. 13% for a female is about equivalent to 5% for a male. You can see why @Rammer123 was a little concerned.

This chart actually shows below 14% for females as an increasing health risks..

http://pennshape.upenn.edu/files/pennshape/Body-Composition-Fact-Sheet.pdf
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    BTW, I'm male, 5'8" & 153 # currently. My last 2 BF measurements by hydro in the last yr at 150 & 157 was 8% and 13% respectively. My VAT was nil based on prior DEXA testing. So, my guess is that my current BF is about 10%; new test results pending.

Similar results for a female would probably be unhealthy.
  • HIRAL_NJ
    Thank you everyone for proper guideline