Fitness at work??

Options
lkfolsom
lkfolsom Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I work 10 hour days in a 4-day work week and by the end of the day my legs hurt. I mean can't-sleep-at-night hurt. I know it's due to lack of movement during the day. I have a standing desk, but I can only stand a few minutes at a time because of my weight. Yes, I can go for a walk and stretch out my legs, but the pain comes back when I'm back to work. I have a foot rest that rocks back and forth that I use often, but to no avail.

So I'm thinking about one of those cycle chairs to use with my standing desk. The resistance is adjustable, but I'd like to use it more for circulation than challenging myself at the workplace. Does anyone use something similar and can offer any encouragement? I don't plan on cycling for the entire 10 hrs, of course, so I'm hoping I can also sit or perch on it comfortably when I'm not pedaling.

What do you think? As a beginner, am I biting off more than I can chew?

yjr6r28ydjne.jpg

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't offer first hand experience, but given that it appears to have a bike seat I would recommend getting extra padding if you get one. I haven't been able to ride a bike without a gel seat since I was a little kid. Way too painful.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Do not buy one unless it has a good return policy.

When it hurt for me to stand that would have been biting off more than I could chew. The lack of back support would have wrecked me and I never developed padding on my rear so I would have needed about 3 of @Terytha's pillows. That is not to say it won't help you. You are very smart to be looking for creative ways to deal with your problem. I hope this works, if not, I trust your next idea will.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Another thought if this doesn't work is to get your doctor to refer you for physical therapy.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    They make some that are just the pedals, no seat, that you can use with an office chair (or any chair). I would suggest that instead.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    They make some that are just the pedals, no seat, that you can use with an office chair (or any chair). I would suggest that instead.

I have tried a few of those and I can never find a position that was comfortable enough to work for me. The OP might have better luck though.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Azurite27 wrote: »

I have tried a few of those and I can never find a position that was comfortable enough to work for me. The OP might have better luck though.

I just meant as a better alternative to the bike seat. That looks really uncomfortable. And you can usually find the pedalers pretty cheap so you're not at a huge loss if it doesn't work out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Another thought if this doesn't work is to get your doctor to refer you for physical therapy.

I think getting your doctor to refer you for physical therapy might be a better first step. The PT might prescribe a better chair, getting up and moving around every 90 minutes, etc. - all "reasonable accommodations" that your employer is less likely to give you grief about if they come from a medical professional.

And it would be good to rule out any important medical conditions that should be resolved as well.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Instead of this, you might want to try an under desk foot pedal machine. A few of my employees have them and they seem to really like them. You stay seated in your chair and pedal under your desk. I personally have a stepper I stand on at my desk. I have an adjustable stand up desk at work and I hop on that a couple of times a day. But if your legs are hurting as much as they are, I would suggest starting the the pedal machine first.