Eating at maintenance and feeling hungry all the time!

Hi guys, I have been eating at maintenance for a couple of months now and do cardio on my spin bike 5/6 time a week alternating between 15 to 20 mins classes. I also do the beginners dumbells workout Mon,wed,Thu and also use my glute band Tue,Thu, and Sun. My macros breakdown is 271 grams Carbs,154 grams protein and 67 grams of fat. My calories are 2303 to maintain my weight.
My question is why am i hungry all the time! I feel like I am eating healthy! I have 80 grams of porridge in the morning with mixed berrie and almond butter, I have eggs with quorn sausages and lo dough wraps for lunch and for dinner I usually have 300 grams of broccoli, 100grams asparagus, 130 grams whole grain rice and a marinated chicken breast, I then have a snack at night, 3 wholemeal crumpets with bertoli olive oil spread and
Peanut butter!
Where am I going wrong! I am also trying to recomp.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Are you hungry every day, or just sometimes? If you have a hormonal cycle, any chance it's tied to that?
  • vivmack
    vivmack Posts: 26 Member
    Been feeling hungry for about a month. Not sure if it is hormonal cycle as I have the implant so don't actually get a period!
  • vivmack
    Getting plenty of fibre. I have been very stressed recently with my 12 year old autistic son. I never thought that could effect my increased appetite! Perhaps that is what it is! Thanks.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Also, if you are eating the same thing every day, try mixing it up.
    Personally, I would need more protein, less carbs for breakfast. The rest of the day I would be fine. But with that breakfast, I would be looking for food about 4 pm til bedtime.
  • brottishluv
    brottishluv Posts: 5 Member
    How much protein are you eating? I rarely have an insatiable day when my protein and fiber are both pretty high, and if I do have an insatiable day, I just go for it.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Has your weight been constant?
  • shoebarb
    shoebarb Posts: 9 Member
    What about your water intake? I have read that sometimes hunger is really thirst.
  • vivmack
    Rammer123 wrote: »
    Has your weight been constant?

My weight has been constant. Trying to recomp a the moment.i am eating 1.2grams protein per pound of body weight as well.
  • vivmack
    shoebarb wrote: »
    What about your water intake? I have read that sometimes hunger is really thirst.

I drink a lot of water.so it can't be that.
  • vivmack
    How much protein are you eating? I rarely have an insatiable day when my protein and fiber are both pretty high, and if I do have an insatiable day, I just go for it.

I am eating 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I get a good amount of fibre.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I have some theories on this, as I am dealing with it to an extent. What was starting weight? How much did you lose? If you were obese, how long?
  • vivmack
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I have some theories on this, as I am dealing with it to an extent. What was starting weight? How much did you lose? If you were obese, how long?

My starting weight was 10.7stone I am now 9st2. It took me about 3 months to get there.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,955 Member
    My guess is you’re chasing your hunger all day because your breakfast lacks protein & probably calories.

Some ideas:
    In 2019, I’ve eaten an avg of 2,100 calories.
    Breakfast has accounted for 600-800 of them. (Minimum 25g protein)

I began doing this after reading two research studies. (I’ve never been a big breakfast eater.)

One showed weight loss in older women & better health markers if they ate 700, 500, 200 calories for BF, L, D, when compared to women who ate 200, 500, 700 (who lost less wt, saw no difference in bp or blood glucose.)

The second study changed my life. Athletes were followed to see if the number of hours in a 24 hr period they were in a calorie deficit > 400 calories . If it was 3 or more hours, the researchers found 9 negative impacts: muscle loss, higher blood glucose, higher cortisol, etc.

We wake up not only in a dehydration state but also in a calorie deficit. So, according to my teacher, it’s important to drink 1-2 c. water upon arriving & eat very soon after rising (at least as many calories as your waking deficit.)

So, I use an app, that subtracts my food eaten from my calories burned real time. If I feel hungry, I check it & if my deficit is 350-400 or more, I eat. If it’s under 200, I go exercise or distract myself.

Having said that, since changing my meal patterns, I’m never hungry. And I know if I’m not hungry, I could lose weight & can now maintain my weight.

Other idea that works for me. I would suggest evening your carbs out over the 3 meals & snack. I actually eat the most (starches) at BF, next most at lunch, and few at dinner. I figure this way I can use them
    up as fuel.

Everyone is different, but I know by doing little experiments with our intake, sleep, timing & type of exercise, and stress reduction (I recommend MBSR course taught at many hospitals &/or the Simple Habits app.)

Good luck & good luck with your son.