Day 5: Ouch

So on Tuesday, I had a pretty amazing leg workout consisting of 3X10 front squats, Zercher squats, and power cleans. To finish the weight lifting routine, I hammered out some calf raisers on the seated machine with one 45 pound plate on each side. After 100 reps, I felt pretty good, so I walked 1.5 miles home from the gym, and went swimming for 30 minutes. I was feeling amazing, but yesterday, my calves started to cramp, and it became hard to walk. I stretched them for five minutes each, but that wasn’t enough. This morning, it felt like someone had filled my calves with air until they were about to pop. After a swimming workout and extensive stretching, I feel a lot better. Going forward, I think I will need to rest my calves for a few days. I’m looking forward to my first weigh in on Saturday. I already feel light years from my depressed state when I started this journey last weekend. Thank God.

Replies

• haydennorris04
    haydennorris04 Posts: 28 Member
    Keep it up! I have to start working stretching in more thanks dor the reminder!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Glad to hear you're doing so well! I made the painful mistake of overworking my calves a few years ago. I tiptoed around in pain for the next 2 - 3 days. Good news is I haven't neglected my calve exercises since then. Keep stretching and swimming and walking. The pain will go away.
  • JordanS9592
    JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're doing so well! I made the painful mistake of overworking my calves a few years ago. I tiptoed around in pain for the next 2 - 3 days. Good news is I haven't neglected my calve exercises since then. Keep stretching and swimming and walking. The pain will go away.

Thanks. I stretched my calves for a good 20 minutes today. I’m already feeling a lot better.
  • JordanS9592
    Keep it up! I have to start working stretching in more thanks dor the reminder!

@haydennorris04 Bro it makes a HUGE difference. I used to take a week off with soreness like this. But with stretching, I’m going for an extra walk just because my legs feel so good. Look up some YouTube videos on stretching for beginners. If you put in at least 10-20 minutes per day, you will notice a big difference.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Good going.

Maybe check out a foam roller.
  • JordanS9592
    88olds wrote: »
    Good going.

Maybe check out a foam roller.

I used one earlier. It was brutal, yet magical.
  • turnitaroundat40
    turnitaroundat40 Posts: 193 Member
    Rolling definitely helps
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I did a very stupid thing and went way over on calf raises one time and it resulted in pain on the blade of my left foot so that I could hardly walk.

I went to the physio for the pain in foot thing having no idea it was calf related. He asked me what I did and so on and so forth, and when I said I smashed out 15 reps of 140kg for sets on the old skool plate loaded donkey calf raise machine he was like - well there's your culprit.

And there I was thinking I was a BEAST for managing to do that (I got to the machine, someone hadn't unracked it. I usually use 100kg. I thought i'd just try and see if I could do it and didn't even think the machine would move. It did though).

So - if you're not used to doing something and you go overboard and do it too much/too heavy - you can stuff up other bits of you that you didn't even think possible.

Take it easy!
  • JordanS9592
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I did a very stupid thing and went way over on calf raises one time and it resulted in pain on the blade of my left foot so that I could hardly walk.

I went to the physio for the pain in foot thing having no idea it was calf related. He asked me what I did and so on and so forth, and when I said I smashed out 15 reps of 140kg for sets on the old skool plate loaded donkey calf raise machine he was like - well there's your culprit.

And there I was thinking I was a BEAST for managing to do that (I got to the machine, someone hadn't unracked it. I usually use 100kg. I thought i'd just try and see if I could do it and didn't even think the machine would move. It did though).

So - if you're not used to doing something and you go overboard and do it too much/too heavy - you can stuff up other bits of you that you didn't even think possible.

Take it easy!

Good story and advice