BREAKFAST PREP - make on the weekend and freeze or make the night before ideas Grab and go

Does anyone have any make ahead breakfast ideas? I've been walking at 5-ish am ( 5, 5:15, 5:30 at the latest) and then Yoga (usually around 6:30 a.m.) with hubby when I get back and then hit the shower which is working really well but I am rushed for breakfast and had to go through drive thru on the way to work this morning. Defeating all the work I just did. If I can come up with some ideas that I could prep on the weekend or even the night before it would be great because I am getting tired of Oatmeal and Grits. Have to limit the number of eggs I eat too because I'm allergic. Once a week is about it for the egg dishes. When we were trying to change our menu to add more protein I tried to eat them 2 days in a row and it wasn't pretty. So I've backed off to once maybe twice a week. Gives me a stomach ache and headache within 15- 30 minutes of eating it and I feel off all day. Not worth it. Would love your suggestions please. Grab and go ideas would be great too for the times that the energy level is sagging and I may have spent a few extra minutes in the shower and ran out of time. Have to be on the commute by 7:30
Thx

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Hey! So here are some of my quick go to breakfasts.

Chia pudding. I use the 250 ml jars. Add a tbsp or two chia seeds, fresh fruit, protein powder if you want and then top up with either water or coconut milk or soy milk. Whatever your preference. Lasts about 3-4 days in the fridge before the texture gets weird.

Overnight oates. Similar concept to the chia pudding but with oats.

Slow cooker bean burritos. Quinoa, beans, enchilada sauce etc in a slow cooker. You add a few tbsp to a small tortilla wrap, wrap it up in saran wrap and freeze. Probably need to microwave it for a few minutes to eat it (I fry them up in a pan to make crispy and then add salsa and cheese)

Taco egg cups. I know you can't do many eggs but these are stupid easy and tasty. A tbsp of ground taco meat into the bottom of an muffin tin. Tomatoes or pico and some cheese. I fill the cup to the top. Beat up eggs and then pour over the mixture till the cup is filled. I make a dozen of these every time I have leftover taco meat (can be ground chicken or turkey for cal friendly. Cook at 400F for 20 min or until set and then store in fridge . can be eaten hot or cold but is best with some salsa or guac.

Protein powder crepes. You may need to buy special baking protein but these can be cooked up and stored in the fridge and then you can just quickly add some nut butter or jam as you wish.

Prepared protein shakes. Pre measure everything into baggies or even large ice cube trays and then just add liquid and blend in the am.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I second the overnight oats suggestion. I like to add extra liquid to mine, hit it with the stick blender in the morning, and drink it like a smoothie.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    The freezer is your friend. Kodiak pancakes made in a muffin pan. Either
    1. Peanut butter and jelly swirled in.
    2. Veggies added, like caramelized onions and red peppers.
    3. Blueberries or other fruit

• corinasue1143
    You didn’t ask this, but—-
    I am old so I’ve seen it happen.
    Very often when people have the kind of reaction to foods that you have to eggs, in a few years they have a full blown allergy. The kind where you carry an epi pen(spelling.) and may end up in the emergency room.
    I have had different Doctors tell me on different occasions tell me to avoid that food completely. That way it may not become a problem if you get some accidentally. I believed them and avoid spinach.
    Just a thought.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    You didn’t ask this, but—-
    I am old so I’ve seen it happen.
    Very often when people have the kind of reaction to foods that you have to eggs, in a few years they have a full blown allergy. The kind where you carry an epi pen(spelling.) and may end up in the emergency room.
    I have had different Doctors tell me on different occasions tell me to avoid that food completely. That way it may not become a problem if you get some accidentally. I believed them and avoid spinach.
    Just a thought.

I did carry an epipen because I used to have major reactions all the time and spent a lot of time in the ER as a child, teenager and college student. That was before the days of Benadryl. I carry Benadryl with me all the time now. I'm 57 now (can't stand the senior label) and haven't had a BAD reaction in a few years, Thank you Jesus! So I test the waters and being through all that, I can pretty much tell if it's something I need to totally avoid like cantaloupe or Cajun spices. The best I've ever felt was when I did an allergy rotation diet but it wasn't sustainable to totally avoid the items I was allergic too. I was allergic to so many that it was impossible to completely stay away from every allergen so we rotated them. Unfortunately that doctor has gone on to glory and all the other ones I've seen since them don't have a clue! One I went to had me on literally 10 RX in 15 minutes of meeting me. The woman had never seen me before in her life. I was in tears on the way home because first we couldn't afford 10 RX and 2nd I'd taken some of them before and knew that if I took just one I'd be out like a light for days. The last one I went to was an Indian doctor (from India). They did the usual scratch test and he came in to check on me at the 5 minute mark. My Momma was with me and he just started backing out of the room saying in a thick Indian accent "Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy...." We laughed so hard we were crying. We knew what was going to happen. I stuck with him for a year of weekly shots. That was about 10 years ago. I need the shots and the diet but that's not sustainable either for your entire life.

I am much better now and am just careful and prayerful (Lol).

My son had anaphylaxis when he was 2 yrs. old so I worry about him but he seems to be doing well. He's getting married in January.

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox now. Lol I can write a book on allergy experiences. Just call me Bubble girl. Lol
    You gotta laugh or you'd be in tears all the time.

Thank you for your insights. I do appreciate the advise, honest!

If I could just exercise and go to bed and not have to think about any kind of food I would be great but alas food is a part of the formula.
  • corinasue1143
    😊😊😊
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    banana oat cookies:
    100g ripe banana
    40g oats
    10g vanilla protein powder
    pinch salt & shake cinnamon
    Mash together, spoon 30g blobs on greased parchment and bake 325F 15 min. Store in refrigerator. Grab & go.

Can also spoon on wax paper to store in freezer. That allows you to grab the number you need & cook. Good use of overripe bananas.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    I've started to get into making smoothies for breakfast -- Paleo ones because I have a lot of food sensitivities myself. I read a great tip yesterday that to save time, you can measure out all of your dry ingredients (protein powder, spices, flax meal, etc) into individual baggies for the week... then in the morning, you just pour the liquid of your choice into the blender, dump in your baggie of goodies, and hit the button. Easy peasy!
  • kizzim03
    kizzim03 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm fond of making veg and cheese tortillas.
    Chop up your favorite veggies the night before and put them in the fridge. (I usually go for broccoli, carrots, onion, or bell pepper, but to each their own.)
    In the morning put 1/4th to 1/2 a cup of the veggies on a tortilla (the amount of veggies depends on the size of the tortilla) and sprinkle with cheese.
    Pop that in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted to your preference and ta-da!
  • carlaringuette
    Great idea!
  • carlaringuette
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    I've started to get into making smoothies for breakfast -- Paleo ones because I have a lot of food sensitivities myself. I read a great tip yesterday that to save time, you can measure out all of your dry ingredients (protein powder, spices, flax meal, etc) into individual baggies for the week... then in the morning, you just pour the liquid of your choice into the blender, dump in your baggie of goodies, and hit the button. Easy peasy!

I used to do that when I had to travel for work. I'd bring my bullet to the hotel. I forgot about that. Thanks.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Flax seed and water forms the same binder as eggs so can be a replacement. On the back of the Bob Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour is a recipe "BabyCake Cookies" for egg free, wheat and dairy free cookies I use this as a basis when I adapt other recipes.

I also have a belgian waffle maker and you can make a variety of types of waffles, which I freeze and the kids and my husband just toast and eat on the way to work or school. We have intolerances for wheat so I adapted a baked oatmeal recipe into waffles, I throw in some protein powder, a banana, an apple and mis all in the blender and make 10-12 waffles on Sunday for the week.

I made cottage cheese pancakes for the first time today, the recipe did have eggs but I did not look to see if there are recipes without eggs all ready out there, but they came out delicious, I used Nameste gluten free flour and removed one scoop and added a scoop of protein powder. I bet the Flax eggs would work because the eggs were providing just a binder. They are sitting in refrigerator right now for tomorrow, will lay out the leftovers on a cookie sheet and freeze tomorrow afternoon, then pop into a baggie or tupperware so whoever can pupllout for a snack or quick meal.

I drink smoothies every morning in the summer, I call them rainbow because I try to use veggies and fruits of each color...today spinach, beet, banana, orange, blueberry. I make oatmeal with flax, chia seed once a week and refrigerate and add a quarter cup to smoothie to give bulk. You can use milk, greek yogurt, for protein or protein powder.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    MidModJenn wrote: »

I used to do that when I had to travel for work. I'd bring my bullet to the hotel. I forgot about that. Thanks.

I travel sometimes for work, I need to do that myself so that I'm not tempted by the bagels at the breakfast buffet! I did it years ago, and asked the hotel to put a mini fridge in my room. Most hotels have a few of them on hand for guests who need to store their insulin etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2019
    A lot of good ideas already. I know if you truly need something to grab and take to eat on the go, that's how it's gotta be. But for me I find that I can make my breakfast and eat it at home in about 10-15 minutes most days. A cooked egg with toast or a toaster waffle. Yogurt. Oatmeal with PB&J (the only way I like regular oatmeal very much). Cup of black coffee and it's a relaxing quick meal, even early in the morning.

Sometimes (like this morning) I'll cook a decent-sized batch of steel cut oats for breakfast and then have leftovers for 1-2 weekday mornings. Throw in fresh fruit or cook w/ dried cranberries (or any fruit) so it's good to go in the AM with less than 2 min in the microwave.

Overnight oats are good, but I've had to play w/ proportions and go with no "liquid" and a thicker mixture of plain Greek yogurt, fruit & oats...almost a paste consistency, as most of the recipes are really not to my liking (texture too runny and makes me gag). Personal preference.

If you eat meat, how about some lunch meat to add extra protein to your breakfast? Cubes or slices maybe. Even a sandwich, kind of like others have suggested...breakfast doesn't always have to be strictly breakfast foods.

I don't like precooked eggs unless they are hard-boiled. But if you like boiled eggs, there's another good option...ETA: sorry I just reread the OP and saw that about an allergy! For me the #1 thing is not having the exact same breakfast for 3-4 days in a row or I get bored with it and don't like it as much. I can have the same 3 or 4 breakfasts every single week for months - but switch up the individual days. This is why I don't really do weekend "meal prep" in general.

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    I don’t eat breakfast, but for my husband I make egg “muffins”. They’re really little egg fritadas that I make in muffin pans. I’ll put like 4 whole eggs plus a small milk carton sized egg whites with a little cream or milk and fork whip. Then I put whatever strikes my mood or is in the fridge. Last week I made them with onions, peppers and precooked crumbled turkey bacon. This week I’m making them with precooked brocolli, ham and cheddar cheese.They are super easy to take out of the fridge and microwave for 20 seconds and out the door. They are yummy. I’ll sometimes eat them myself for dinner with some marinara sauce over them.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    I make a batch of these most weekends for my teens to take out of the fridge or freezer and microwave each weekday morning as we leave the house super early.

https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-sausage-egg-mcmuffin/

I usually omit the egg, use a low calorie cheese slice and extra lean ground beef for the patties.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I reject the tyranny of food classifications!

Let food be food. Free of the arbitrary pigeon-holing which society has foisted upon them. Free of the shackles of labels. Free of the expectations to restrict themselves to particular segments of the clock.

Viva-La-Food-Revolution!