Gaining weight too fast / retaining fat ?

What up guys. I’ve been bulking for the last 72 days and i’ve been wondering if i’ve been gaining weight too fast . I’m up a total of 9.4 lbs , and as i look at myself in the mirrow , i feel and look a lot chubbier . Idk if this is a good or bad thing . As well i want your guys opinion to know whether or not the speed of which i’m gaining is too fast , or if i should lower my calorie intake to be a little higher than my maintenance , any help would be greatly appreciated , thank you for your time !

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    What are you trying to attain/what is your ultimate goal in doing this?
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    9.4lbs of weight gained in 72 days isn't likely going to be all muscle. If it bothers you that you're gaining fat, presumably along with muscle if you're following a progressive lifting program and getting sufficient protein, then you can certainly cut back on the calories to slow your fat gain without hindering your muscle gain given the speed at which you're gaining weight.

As to whether 9.4lbs is good or bad, that depends on you and your goals. How big are you? What BF % did you start at? What's your BF % now after gaining 9.4lbs? How long were you planning on bulking before going into a cut? Are you happy with the strength and/or hypertrophy progress you've made so far?
  • RTrippey
    RTrippey Posts: 4 Member
    So i started at 176lbs roughly around 17% BF , i started to bulk and my goal is to be at 195lbs but i want to look good at 195lbs and not “chubby” , i’ve seen significant strength gains in the process of the bulk , all major lifts have increased by 30lbs or more . i feel as if i retain a lot of the carbs that i eat in my mid section , but i know that carbs are essential when bulking , i eat either 6oz brown or jasmine rice for 4 meals a day , 6 oz of chicken and stay strictly on that meal plan . i’m simple so the monotony of it isn’t a problem , my BF has increased to 23% . I’m 5’ 11” and currently weighing at 185.3 .