Entering sodium / salt into the food database

mormas
mormas Posts: 188 Member
UK guidelines recommend not exceeding 6g of salt per day (or 2400mg of sodium). Most UK foods list the salt, but MFP asks for the sodium values and tracks Sodium.

For those interested in tracking their salt, or those who enter items on the food database (for which I thank you), I have included the salt to sodium conversion formula below;-

Salt to sodium

To convert grams of salt to milligrams of sodium, divide the salt figure in grams by 2.5 and then multiply by 1,000 to get milligrams. So
grams of salt ÷ 2.5 = grams of sodium X 1,000

Example
6 grams of salt
6g ÷ 2.5 = 2.4g salt ... then multiplied by 1,000 = 2400 mg of sodium
So 6 g of salt equates to 2400 milligrams of sodium

Replies

• mathildeolesen
    mathildeolesen Posts: 1 Member
    THANK YOU! I've been looking for a formula for so long. I couldn't understand how I went 7,000-10,000 over my sodium intake.. Turns out I've calculated horribly wrong :smile:
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited May 2016
    Finally! An answer I didn't even know to ask the question for. :)
  • jbauer83
    jbauer83 Posts: 12 Member
    Loads of people are entering the salt quantity into the sodium field and I'm getting very frustrated when told that I've massively gone over the sodium limit for the day when, in fact, it's the data that's wrong.

MFP should really consider putting a big notice next to the sodium field: "NOTE: Sodium is NOT the same as salt. Please DO NOT enter a salt value here. Divide salt quantity by 2.5 to get sodium."

Or even better, allow the user to choose whether to enter salt or sodium values and convert automatically. Software is supposed to make our lives easier, not increase our blood pressure due to bad UI/UX design!

Rant over ;)

I’m fumin it’s now 2018, I stopped using MFP for this reason. There’s way too many inaccuracies.

This one could have been easily solved if MFP Added a SALT section instead of sodium!!!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    jbauer83 wrote: »
    Loads of people are entering the salt quantity into the sodium field and I'm getting very frustrated when told that I've massively gone over the sodium limit for the day when, in fact, it's the data that's wrong.

MFP should really consider putting a big notice next to the sodium field: "NOTE: Sodium is NOT the same as salt. Please DO NOT enter a salt value here. Divide salt quantity by 2.5 to get sodium."

Or even better, allow the user to choose whether to enter salt or sodium values and convert automatically. Software is supposed to make our lives easier, not increase our blood pressure due to bad UI/UX design!

Rant over ;)

I’m fumin it’s now 2018, I stopped using MFP for this reason. There’s way too many inaccuracies.

This one could have been easily solved if MFP Added a SALT section instead of sodium!!!

Better to be a salt and a sodium section then the conversation from salt to sodium. This is because some countries have sodium on their nutrition label while others have salt. At least now I know why I am often over on sodium....
  • jbauer83
    jbauer83 Posts: 12 Member
    Well Americans and Australians cant access the uk App Store. So why not just have a salt section. Just went through my house, not a single item had a sodium figure on it. If you really insist on it. Then why not let us pick which one we want to use like you can when entering water amounts
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Well Americans and Australians cant access the uk App Store. So why not just have a salt section. Just went through my house, not a single item had a sodium figure on it. If you really insist on it. Then why not let us pick which one we want to use like you can when entering water amounts

All Australian products have sodium content (not salt) on their nutrition panels
  • Lillymoo01

Not a single item has salt on mine because we list sodium in Australia. This is a universal app which needs to cater for people from all corners of the world.
  • 2019 and it's still the same problem. I need to monitor my salt/sodium levels and most entries of UK foods I check are inaccurate - this really needs to change. 1g salt = 400mg sodium. Simple!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    :o Oh my gosh, I had no idea! I've even corrected a few entries (that maybe were even correct) because where I live the nutrition tables for packaged foods only show the salt content. Now I regret having done that. :(
  • philh87
    philh87 Posts: 1 Member
    Just bumping this up again as this is still an issue. Can the developers please add a salt / sodium option for when users are inputting their data? If they put in the salt amount is should automatically convert to sodium or visa versa. As others have said, this had led to many inaccuracies of data on the database.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    From my experience MFP is only accurate for calories and even then care is needed with the database entries. As an example one entry for iceberg lettuce has a greater amount of fibre than the serving size.

In short, exercise due diligence.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    When I enter foods into the database I use this site for salt/sodium values....

https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/salt/sodium-and-salt-converter
  • mazydizzle
    mazydizzle Posts: 5 Member
    Something even worse I have found is that even foods scanned via a barcode, ie unsmoked back bacon from Tesco and cathedral city cheddar cheese comes up as 0mg of sodium!!!!!

Now I realise even though I’m maintaining my calorie goals, my sodium intake is still probably way over 2300mg of sodium.

This sounds like MFP or food manufacturers can pick and choose which nutritional values to publish via the app!!

Has no one else found this to be a major issue??? It makes the daily goals completely useless and inaccurate!!

Sure it’s illegal to do this? And MFP or the food manufacturers need to sort it big time!!

Mario
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    mazydizzle wrote: »
    Something even worse I have found is that even foods scanned via a barcode, ie unsmoked back bacon from Tesco and cathedral city cheddar cheese comes up as 0mg of sodium!!!!!

Now I realise even though I’m maintaining my calorie goals, my sodium intake is still probably way over 2300mg of sodium.

This sounds like MFP or food manufacturers can pick and choose which nutritional values to publish via the app!!

Has no one else found this to be a major issue??? It makes the daily goals completely useless and inaccurate!!

Sure it’s illegal to do this? And MFP or the food manufacturers need to sort it big time!!

Mario

This is not a conspiracy between the food manufacturers and MFP - the food database is crowd-sourced (entered by the users) so it depends on who made the entry as to how complete/accurate it will be.
  • mazydizzle
    ccrdragon wrote: »

This is not a conspiracy between the food manufacturers and MFP - the food database is crowd-sourced (entered by the users) so it depends on who made the entry as to how complete/accurate it will be.

But I’m talking about foods that come up using barcode scanning... I’m not talking about foods that users enter in to the MFP database.
  • Lillymoo01
    edited July 2019
    mazydizzle wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

But I’m talking about foods that come up using barcode scanning... I’m not talking about foods that users enter in to the MFP database.

Users have entered those foods too! I know I do when the scanned bar code is inaccurate or missing.
  • mazydizzle
    Oh really ok... I thought barcode scanning bought up foods MFP populated in the database
  • andrewjohnson489
    andrewjohnson489 Posts: 1 Member
    Looks like the developers don’t care. Years on, there is still no salt entry and people are still entering salt into sodium making the database wildly inaccurate - at least for UK foods.