Frustrated about exercise cals

I’m kinda frustrated about my exercise cals. Like I dnt know how much to add in. I go to the gym mon wed and Friday. I do a mixture of weight training and 15 min HIIT. I walk back home after gym and mfp said I burned 50 cals. My mind is debating between 100 and 150 cals. I don’t know what to put in. Ugh.. I’m only 5.2ft and weigh 59kg and my goal is 52kg. I also do 2 karate sessions per week. This is mixture of low and high intensity stuff. I don’t want use mfp exercise cals cause of the high amount of exercise cals they give.

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    What are your activity settings and do you have a Fitbit or similar?

Probably easiest thing for you if you have a relatively sedentary job and are consistent in your activities is to set yourself as 'lightly active' and not add anything else for exercise.

Unfortunately being short-ish with little to lose there's not a lot of leeway round the 1200 calorie mark. It might be a case of trying different calorie levels until you get somewhere where you're losing consistently. You don't want more than a 500 calorie daily deficit at your stats anyway
  • MilllaS536
    MilllaS536 Posts: 13 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    What are your activity settings and do you have a Fitbit or similar?

Probably easiest thing for you if you have a relatively sedentary job and are consistent in your activities is to set yourself as 'lightly active' and not add anything else for exercise.

Unfortunately being short-ish with little to lose there's not a lot of leeway round the 1200 calorie mark. It might be a case of trying different calorie levels until you get somewhere where you're losing consistently. You don't want more than a 500 calorie daily deficit at your stats anyway

Thanks for your reply. My activity level is set to sedentary. No I don’t have Fitbit or any other device. I
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    MilllaS536 wrote: »
    I’m kinda frustrated about my exercise cals. Like I dnt know how much to add in. I go to the gym mon wed and Friday. I do a mixture of weight training and 15 min HIIT. I walk back home after gym and mfp said I burned 50 cals. My mind is debating between 100 and 150 cals. I don’t know what to put in. Ugh.. I’m only 5.2ft and weigh 59kg and my goal is 52kg. I also do 2 karate sessions per week. This is mixture of low and high intensity stuff. I don’t want use mfp exercise cals cause of the high amount of exercise cals they give.

Some people can eat 100% of the MFP database exercise calories and others say 50% is accurate for them. However, as MFP is designed for you to log exercise, 0 is not the correct number.

Start off with a percentage with which you feel comfortable and reevaluate in at least a month.

If you start off with not eating any back and after a month you did not lose more than expected, then there are errors in your food logging that you could either address, or continue to not log exercise.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Once u calculate ur TDEE exercise calories will be added to ur calories it is different from choosing sedentary to highly active
    Hard to track every calories u burn in each exercise thats why they put those itmes sedentary, lightly active, etc......
    Depending on ur activity choose whats appropriate and u will realize calories will be added to ur daily goal because those were exercise calories

I hope u understand what i wrote, not a native speaker but thats the best i could come up with =)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    It's pretty hard to get an accurate exercise burn for non traditional exercise unless you have some sort of monitor. You may want to look at a tdee calculator like tdeecalculator.net to get a daily goal that stays consistent. You'd probably be moderate exercise.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm sure I'll get a hearty woo for this, but nonetheless, here goes. Since A ) studies have shown that we habitually underestimate our intake and B ) I don't always have time to weigh every morsel I eat, especially at restaurants, I don't log or eat back exercise calories at all. My exercise just improves my overall fitness while also absorbing the human error factor in my logging. I do 30 minutes of yoga a couple of times a week and take a couple of ~40 minute light jogs with my dog.

If you have an extremely active job, this could work against you, but it serves well for a desk rider like me.