What's the soonest you can eat after waking up?

I have 2 cups of coffee when I get up, but I just can't eat food for at least 3 hours after waking. I feel like I've always been this way. I usually end up skipping breakfast completely and eating an early lunch at around 11am. Anyone else this way?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Most people doing IF don't eat in the morning, and lots of other people skip breakfast to save calories for later in the day.

I usually have a piece of fruit around 9, overnight oats at 11:30, and then my lunch at 1:30. And coffee all morning.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    I wake up at 4:30 am and eat breakfast sometime around 7 am. I cannot go later than 8 am and even that is cutting it close to me passing out! I never usually eat later than 7 pm at night.
  • Melh1969
    Melh1969 Posts: 29 Member
    I usually have something small an hour after I wake up. I've never been much of a breakfast person. I was that way even as a kid.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    I take some meds first thing in the morning that require at least half an hour before food. I love breakfast but wait to eat it when I'm hungry. Sometimes I've been up an hour, sometimes three. The only thing I have prior is water.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    I'm the same. Coffee when first awake but then nothing for at least 3-4 hours. Maybe a banana after being awake for 2 hours but that's it.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Coffee with sweetened cream is my breakfast. I make it as soon as I get up.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    On the weekends I usually wait an hour or so, but during the week it's closer to three hours. I've noticed the shorter I am on sleep, the less food appeals to me. If I have to eat early, I frequently end up feeling nauseated all morning.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Usually within an hour of waking up - it's usually a very light meal, but if I don't eat at all I start to feel sick
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I get up around 5:15 for work. I grab my water and do my workout and shower before getting coffee around 6:30-6:45. I usually have a snack with my coffee, like peanuts or maybe yogurt or half a bar, sometimes oats when it's cold out. Not usually a full meal. I'll have another snack around 10-10:30 and then lunch 12:30. It's not that I can't eat early, I just don't take the time.
  • ketsuban25
    ketsuban25 Posts: 17 Member
    If I'm going into work then I usually don't eat until about 10. But on weekends, for some reason I'm ravenous when I wake up. I think because I wake up later on weekends lol.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hey, the title is bait and switch!

I usually don't eat breakfast for a couple of hours after waking up, or even skip sometimes till I am heading out.

But the sooner I *can* eat after waking up is 2 seconds... assuming it takes that long for food to transport into my mouth!

I thought the same thing except I am old and have to go pee first! Then comes making the coffee and then I go weigh and then strap on the step counter.

For a more on topic response...I usually eat my first meal between 10:30 - 12:00 depending on hunger level. I have never been an early morning eater.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I'm on 16:8/18:4 IF.

Wake up bet 6-8am. Have 20oz black coffee . Eat 1st meal around 11-1. Last meal around 5-7pm. Only drink tea b4 bedtime. Go to sleep around midnight-1am.

And so on.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I have to eat within about 2 hours of waking up. Usually M-F I wake at 6 and eat a little after 7 because I do my bath/getting ready first. On weekends I usually eat within about 30 minutes of waking. I rarely eat anything after 7 pm though, so I think that's part of why I'm pretty hungry in the morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It's nothing I've ever thought about. I eat when I'm hungry and ready to eat.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    I have coffee first thing, but wait a few hours to eat. It's the only time of the day I'm NOT hungry!
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    On the days I work I wake up at 5:20 and eat breakfast at 6 (overnight oats), I then drink my iced coffee on my drive into work and typically finish it at my desk (a total of ~275 calories including oats and coffee). I'm not necessarily hungry when I eat breakfast, but if I don't eat then I won't be able to eat until lunch which is not a set time. Some days I can eat at 11, some days it's closer to 1 or 2. I know I can't funciton well that late if I didn't eat breakfast, so I always make sure to eat before work.

On days I don't work, I typically get up around 7 and eat breakfast around 8 or 9, or I'll just have coffee depending on if I am hungry or not.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    I keep cookies on the nightstand. Sometimes a burrito.

@Azdak

...... sometimes?