Anyone doing a 4 day split?

Hi. I started with 3 day full body workouts but am moving to a 4 day split. 2 x upper, 2 x lower. Is anyone doing similar and what does your program look like please?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I don't do either.

I don't find four day splits more optimal than a well written three day full body. One reason is a 3DFB has the option for more frequency than a 4DS. If anything I would graduate from a 3DFB to a four day full body.

Out of curiosity what do you feel you'll gain from this move of programs.

Good luck with training too :).
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    I just recently switched from a 3 day full body to 4 day upper lower. I ran a 3 day full body program for a year and just wanted to switch it up. As far as results go it's too early to tell. However, I do plan to go back to 3 day full body as I did see a lot of progress in both strength and growth. Just want to see what happens with a new split. Regardless of what you do, choose a well structured progressive lifting program, preferably one with a lot of focus on compound movements.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    I do P.H.U.L. which is a 4 day, upper/ lower, power/ hypertrophy split program. I like it because it's got a lot of variety and I've made good progress doing it.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    I've just changed from a 3 day full body to a 4 day volume program, to early to tell how good it is.
  • nknis8556
    nknis8556 Posts: 26 Member
    I do a 5 day upper/lower split. I saw good results with a 3 day FB, but just got a bit bored with it. More meaningfully, I just like going to the gym and lifting. One of the many reasons I look forward to the weekend is that I can hit the gym as soon as it opens at 7am on Saturday and Sunday morning, do strength training for an hour and 15 minutes, then hit a cardio class at 8:30am.

I basically run one of the many versions of PHAT.

Saturday: Full upper (heavy-ish weights, low reps)
    Sunday: Lower (again, heavy-ish, low reps)
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Back and shoulders (lighter weight, higher reps)
    Wednesday: Lower (again, lighter, higher reps)
    Thursday: Chest and arms (lighter, higher reps)
    Friday: Rest

Are you looking for specific exercises? Or just scheduling? I run a 4-day upper/lower during the school year due to time constraints, in which case during the week I'll do a full upper body hypertrophy day instead of splitting it into two days (so, basically PHUL)

Good luck!
  • cattyw
    cattyw Posts: 26 Member
    I just recently switched from a 3 day full body to 4 day upper lower. I ran a 3 day full body program for a year and just wanted to switch it up. As far as results go it's too early to tell. However, I do plan to go back to 3 day full body as I did see a lot of progress in both strength and growth. Just want to see what happens with a new split. Regardless of what you do, choose a well structured progressive lifting program, preferably one with a lot of focus on compound movements.

Hey! I’ve been doing a 3 day full body but wanting to hit the gym more so feel an upper/lower would work better. What does your program look like if you don’t mind sharing? X
  • cattyw
    cattyw Posts: 26 Member
    nknis8556 wrote: »
    I do a 5 day upper/lower split. I saw good results with a 3 day FB, but just got a bit bored with it. More meaningfully, I just like going to the gym and lifting. One of the many reasons I look forward to the weekend is that I can hit the gym as soon as it opens at 7am on Saturday and Sunday morning, do strength training for an hour and 15 minutes, then hit a cardio class at 8:30am.

Are you looking for specific exercises? Or just scheduling? I run a 4-day upper/lower during the school year due to time constraints, in which case during the week I'll do a full upper body hypertrophy day instead of splitting it into two days (so, basically PHUL)

Good luck!

Hi! I just want to make sure the exercises I do for my upper and lower sessions are the right ones and I don’t put the wrong exercises together (like squat same day as deadlift). Im still relatively new to all of this. If you have any tips that would be greatly appreciated. I just want to grow! Lol x
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    cattyw wrote: »
    nknis8556 wrote: »

Good luck!

Hi! I just want to make sure the exercises I do for my upper and lower sessions are the right ones and I don’t put the wrong exercises together (like squat same day as deadlift). Im still relatively new to all of this. If you have any tips that would be greatly appreciated. I just want to grow! Lol x

Re the bolded above: Most of us don't have the knowledge or experience to create our own programming. That's why it is really good idea to follow a well designed proven program.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    cattyw wrote: »

Hey! I’ve been doing a 3 day full body but wanting to hit the gym more so feel an upper/lower would work better. What does your program look like if you don’t mind sharing? X

Your best bet is to follow a program listed under 'which program is best for you' in the most helpful posts. There are quite a few with 4 day splits and some can be altered that way. If you're looking for a beginner upper lower a couple listed are max adaptation, M&S upper lower and TLS has 3, 4 or 5 day splits. I follow PHUL.