Snack, Snack, Snack

2»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited January 2019
    ashrymom wrote: »
    I always find if I’m hungry and snacky I make a large cup of hot tea. The warmth fills my tummy and it takes a while to sip it. And zero calories!
    @ashrymom
    Hot tea! I need to remember the Tea ;)<3 Thanks for the reminder
  • tlesedam866
    tlesedam866 Posts: 6 Member
    I like to crunch on dry cereal, maybe not the most ideal, but a lot of cereal is lower calorie/lower fat and I never "need" the whole suggested serving so I save even more cal/fat. My favorites are cheerios and fruit loops (off brands)
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    New to the group, so not sure if this has been an discussed or not. I know that nuts are a great snack and source of protein, but I have peanut allergy and cannot have any kinds of them. Any suggestions for crunchy snacks for when I really in the mood for a snack?

@mjschmitzmojo

Don't know if you're still checking in sometimes or not, as this is a much older post.

I can't eat nuts, but I can eat coconut. So, I buy those dried out coconut chips (I like the Trader Joe's ones). They have a very nutty flavor.

I was also eating a lot of the plantain chips sold at Trader Joe's. They were a nice taste and crunch that reminded me of nuts.
  • Sugar snap peas dipped in Hummus or Avacado works great for me. I even slice cucumber and dip them as well. I feel like something crunchy (but healthy) and having a healthy (measured) dip satisfies my craving and I feel good after eating it! I try to keep a banana or other veggie/fruit items available as well. Water is key and maybe even hot tea or black coffee. It seems the slow sipping of either will help the urge to eat pass.
  • DHussli
    DHussli Posts: 2 Member
    I am a snacker. I have found that reading has helped me. I get ready for bed at 8. ( empty nester here) I read the author J.D. Robbs' Death series. I crawl in bed, away from snacks and the kitchen, after reading a couple of chapters of my book I am tired and sleep great. When I sat in a chair to read at the end table was snacks and a drink. I will Not take snacks to the bedroom. So far this is working.
  • LglSec
    LglSec Posts: 11 Member
    Hey everyone, I am new here ...my 3rd day ..and I just love to eat anything that I should not eat ..I am a snacker and a grazer ...first time I have actually counted calories, not a wonder that I have gained and gained weight ..I was so not aware of how many calories I was taking in...really an eye opener! My husband and I were on WW and I must have been eating at least 100 grapes a day ...plus bananas ...they were zero points, but they are NOT zero calories ...any way ..I need ideas and lots of prayers !!!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I like the Sargento Balanced snacks.....At 190 calories in a premeasured container,they are always ready to eat and very satisfying with just enough carbs and protein in them!...
  • erikaparent67
    erikaparent67 Posts: 1 Member
    I am new to Fitness Pal and I have found that when I start getting munchy, I snack on sugar snap peas and grape tomatoes. They have a nice crunch and fill me up. I have little food discipline, so if I am going to snack I try to do veggies. Doesn't always work, but I keep plugging forward.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    I get really shaky if I don’t eat every few hours, so I make sure snacks are planned out every day. I prefer the total snack to be 150-200 calories. Some of my go-to snacks include hummus with veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, whatever you like), a light rye crisp with with one tbsp natural peanut butter, boiled egg, blueberries, raspberries, pears, greek yogurt, a protein shake (with added plain greek yogurt and frozen berries, with almond milk), cottage cheese. I don’t like just fruit for a snack, because it often makes me more hungry. I will always try to get protein, fat and carbs in each meal or snack.
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Honestly doing things like brushing my teeth after every meal or keeping fewer snacks in the house in weird places has helped me stop snacking as it just makes snacking more inconvenient.

If I've already brushed my teeth, anything other than water or some sugar free gum is just going to undo that so I don't feel like it anymore. Gradually I've stopped thinking about food as much between meals as it's more of a hastle than anything. Hope that helps.
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    edited July 2023
    New to the group, so not sure if this has been an discussed or not. I know that nuts are a great snack and source of protein, but I have peanut allergy and cannot have any kinds of them. Any suggestions for crunchy snacks for when I really in the mood for a snack?

Hi also new here, also with a nut allergy. Not sure if it helps but I love the Eat Real crisps and there's lots of variety with flavours (my favourite being the chilli and lime) which are pretty low in calories, or something like a protein flapjack is also good.
  • Drdlharper
    Drdlharper Posts: 1 Member
    One thing I have found that helps is to have preplanned snacks, and to ensure that the snacks are high in protein and low in calories. You can buy zero carb tortillas, and use a pizza cutter to make them into Dorito shaped chips. Put them in the microwave for two minutes or the oven for 15 minutes and you have chips. Season them anywhere you like. They are low carb and low calorie some dip that’s really good is taking a cup of fat, free cottage cheese and blending it until it is smooth . then add powdered ranch seasoning and you have the best ranch dip you’ve ever had and it’s full of protein and low in calories.
  • Mofit40
    Mofit40 Posts: 33 Member
    The ppl you surround yourself with can be your biggest problem. Learning how to not avoid and handle situations, setting boundaries with ppl, enforcing those boundaries and holding ppl accountable and holding yourself accountable as well. If I know I am not in a good mood I will not participate or interact in situations that will make me snack or if I do want a little cheat day I may avoid situation in where I am going to feel guilty about my snacking. Exercise always helps.

• Mofit40
    Mofit40 Posts: 33 Member
    Also personal training may or may not be a good option, only if you can afford a good one.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    I have looked up low carb snacks and found that boiled eggs, Greek yogurt with berries, or cottage cheese with fruit or sunflower seeds are good high protein low carb snacks. Celery with peanut butter is another good option as well as avocado on whole grain toast. Other than nuts, I haven't found any good commercial snack that fits the category, I will occasionally have the packaged peanut butter crackers. Often if I think I am hungry I will have a cup of tea, either black tea or herbal tea. I have a little honey with any of those and also a little milk with the black tea. I drink water constantly throughout the day. Usually the only beverage I will have other than water is unsweetened ice tea.