Share Your Day

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
How is the day going for you? Since many things contribute to how easy or hard it is to stay in a calorie deficit this thread can be about anything you wish to share. If you want to talk about the food you have eaten or that dumb email your boss sent you this is the place.

Replies

• NovusDies
    I saw a registered dietitian yesterday to go over a plan of mine for an upcoming surgery. It benefits me to have more weight off to make the surgery a little safer so I plan to "step on the gas" temporarily and lose the maximum I am allowed to lose. It will not be a fun couple of months and I am a little worried about the mental fatigue but I have been losing weight for long enough now that quitting is not even remotely a concern.

The funny thing about seeing the dietitian was that it happened so close to lunch I ended up running through McD for a couple of egg mcmuffins and a grilled chicken sandwich on the way back. Not that there is anything wrong with fast food but it seemed humorous that the results of seeing one was that I ended up at McDonalds.

This heat is brutal right now. I did a brief walk with the dog last night and I swear I felt 50 pounds heavier.
  • NovusDies
    The weekend was good. I ate a little more but since I am on a weight loss clock unfortunately I did not eat my normal maintenance day. I believe I would have made the weight doing my routine but this will provide some insurance and lower risks during and after the surgery.

I can't believe I used to think this was the way to lose weight. What was I thinking all those years? There is no way I could sustain this for an extended period of time. The 2 months will be bad enough.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I did not track yesterday, but I was mindful of what I was eating. I was at my fathers building a porch and my mom made a huge meal. Back on tracking today. What do you guys mean by maintenance days? One thing that I am curious about is what others have for daily goals? What made you choose those goals? My goal right now is to eat less than 2500 calories and then I use the default mfp macros really just to guide some of my food choices.
  • NovusDies
    edited July 2019
    reposted my reply in another thread.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Hola, I had a pretty terrible weekend in terms of nutrition and calories (Big Mac and Pizza on Friday and a lot of snacking on Sunday), but I am not berating myself because I've been ill and it's also nearly Shark Week (if you have to ask, you probably don't want to know) over the week it roughly equated to maintenance so no harm, no foul in the long run.

I also didn't write in my journal because I wasn't at home and I think that has been one of the biggest helps in overcoming my binge eating lately, so I need to find a work around when I am not at home.
  • NovusDies
    I haven't actually eaten a Big Mac yet (while losing) which I find really odd. I just haven't craved one. It is not like I ate them all the time before losing but I did crave them occasionally. I would say probably 6 times a year and usually 2 at a time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I haven't actually eaten a Big Mac yet (while losing) which I find really odd. I just haven't craved one. It is not like I ate them all the time before losing but I did crave them occasionally. I would say probably 6 times a year and usually 2 at a time.

To be honest I only had it because I was going for a long walk, was starving and McD's was the only place doing hot food on the way. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it filled the void.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies wrote: »

To be honest I only had it because I was going for a long walk, was starving and McD's was the only place doing hot food on the way. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it filled the void.

Well it sucks you didn't enjoy it. Life doesn't promise anyone always enjoyable meals though. Back in March my family went through a fairly rough time and my appetite was next to nothing. I was filling my own void with pizza I had stashed in the freezer and I didn't enjoy a single bite of it but people needed me and I couldn't afford to let my energy just tank. It was the worst balanced nutrition period I have gone through since beginning. It got the job done though and that is what was important.

I proved that you can lose weight eating almost nothing but pizza. It wasn't my intent but it happened.
  • jjlewey
    Italian Bread Salad, aka pizza, is my downfall. That and maybe ice cream. Had a small bowl of ice cream this weekend, maybe my reward next weekend will be some pizza.
  • tinkerbellang83
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Italian Bread Salad, aka pizza, is my downfall. That and maybe ice cream. Had a small bowl of ice cream this weekend, maybe my reward next weekend will be some pizza.

Halo Top is a good alternative to normal ice cream if it's availabke where you are, 400ish cals for the whole pint as opposed to 1000+
  • NovusDies

I am the opposite. I consider pizza one of the things that has really benefited me (unless I am forcing it down). I have eaten an entire medium thin crust pizza almost weekly for 17 months. I always look forward to doing it and I can make it fit in my weekly calorie goal. It is one of the things I don't like to moderate on quantity other than not eating a large. For some reason I just want to eat the whole thing so I do.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth so ice cream is not really my thing. I would eat it more if I wanted it but I don't.
  • jjlewey
    I love me some pizza, working second shift I would get home at midnight and eat a whole digiorno and then go to bed. I understand what you are saying about incorporating some of it into your meal plans though. I think I will try that and see how it goes. I like the idea about not being so restrictive on the what I eat.
  • NovusDies
    I love me some pizza, working second shift I would get home at midnight and eat a whole digiorno and then go to bed. I understand what you are saying about incorporating some of it into your meal plans though. I think I will try that and see how it goes. I like the idea about not being so restrictive on the what I eat.

One of the smartest thing I did was lose the unnecessary restrictions. It takes way too long to lose weight to not have some things I enjoy. I have lost over 150 pounds and there is not much I have not eaten doing it.

• jjlewey
    Thank you for bringing that up. Mindset is important, how you approach a challenge and from.what angle you think about it can matter.
  • NovusDies
    Thank you for bringing that up. Mindset is important, how you approach a challenge and from.what angle you think about it can matter.

Definitely. Once you get get your eating and hunger under control weight loss becomes mostly a mental situation. In the past I would try to willpower myself through strict plans and it never worked because I was fighting with myself and eventually the side that wanted to eat the french fries, burrito, potato chips, etc. was always going to win. Now I just deal with eating those things as I feel the need and I am strict in a different way. If I want something higher calorie that is slightly harder to fit it better be worth it and enjoyable. If I want french fries they better be hot because I am not going to waste my calories on cold fries.

Of course for every rule there is an exception. Like I mentioned in March I was not enjoying the pizza I was eating nonstop but that was happening because life can be messy or in that case tragic at times. I didn't want to eat anything so nothing would have been worth it to me.
  • NovusDies
    I admit I am not having a lot of fun today. I like helping people that are going through rough times but I am not always especially fond of cooking a bunch of food that I won't eat. Oh I will taste them but I have no interest in making them fit right now. 2 of the things I am fixing are for a picky teenager so they have next to no low calorie fillers. I don't really like eating unnecessarily calorie dense food.

At least I wasn't requested to make anything especially complicated this time. I mean it will still take a solid 4 hours of prep and cook time but they are all fairly easy dishes they are just all BIG quantities.

I did just realize I was over 90 minutes late with feeding myself though because I was busy doing crap for them. That sucks.

I think I will just log a Quick Add for 150 calories for the tastes and call it good enough. I am certainly not entering recipes for food I will only taste and aside from one they are recipes I developed so there will be no good match anyway. Logging accuracy is important until it becomes a ridiculous hardship for a small amount of calories.
  • NovusDies
    I forgot my lunch, and hit up Subway. Only got a 6" tuna with whole wheat bread. Just lettuce, onions, and black pepper on it. No cookies, no pop, no chips. That to me is a win. Before, I would go for the 12", load 'er up with every kind of sauce, get the combo with cookies, and buy the chips too. I know it's only a start, but for me, this was huge.

Sounds like a win to me.

I find Subway to be pretty reliable on calories if you avoid the sometimes heavy handed application of caloric sauces and mayo.

I went to Subway myself to day for 4 salads. I got 4 (2 for today) because the Subway I was going to always gives me half the amount of the Subway I usually frequent. Of course the salad I usually get is about twice the size the website says it should be so I am actually paying the correct price today. I must go to Subway a lot to know this much, right? lol

Salad(s) eaten, almost a pound of trout eaten, time to finish my cooking project so I can sneak in some actual work today.
  • shrinking_amazonian
    shrinking_amazonian Posts: 26 Member
    Today was a bit hard - it started with the coffee pot not being turned on last night so no life fuel to get my morning going. Boo!!

I got to work and there was coconut cream pie. My one SERIOUS vice, I need to have it, but I will not actively seek it out. I had a slice with my morning cup of office sludge (they try to convince us it's coffee, I'm not buying it)

Now, at 115pm I am just digging into my packed food. I am not going to let the morning run the rest of my day.
  • shrinking_amazonian
    shrinking_amazonian Posts: 26 Member
    I forgot my lunch, and hit up Subway. Only got a 6" tuna with whole wheat bread. Just lettuce, onions, and black pepper on it. No cookies, no pop, no chips. That to me is a win. Before, I would go for the 12", load 'er up with every kind of sauce, get the combo with cookies, and buy the chips too. I know it's only a start, but for me, this was huge.

Right on! That's a great victory :smiley: