How much do you pay your personal trainer?

I’m currently paying $55/hr for mine. I’m new to using a trainer and I thought I’d ask if this is a reasonable rate, before I commit to another block of time. I really like her, which is good :) and she seems very knowledgeable and well educated despite not having much trainer experience.
I’m trying to get back in shape after bedrest and a twin pregnancy...no fancy athletic needs other than general fitness and regaining functional strength. (I was on 5 months of bedrest, then recovered from a c-section, then had another surgery right after to recover from so a good 10 months lost without much movement or muscle use).

Curious what others pay (knowing geography likely is a factor as well).

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    It depends on their certifications and experience. It's not insane to pay considerably more than that if it fits your budget and helps you toward your goals. I paid my last trainer weekly and should have just paid him a salary for what I paid him... but it was well worth it for what I gained in experience and knowledge outside of the straight physical fitness aspects of our relationship.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    I’m currently paying $55/hr for mine. I’m new to using a trainer and I thought I’d ask if this is a reasonable rate, before I commit to another block of time. I really like her, which is good :) and she seems very knowledgeable and well educated despite not having much trainer experience.
    I’m trying to get back in shape after bedrest and a twin pregnancy...no fancy athletic needs other than general fitness and regaining functional strength. (I was on 5 months of bedrest, then recovered from a c-section, then had another surgery right after to recover from so a good 10 months lost without much movement or muscle use).

Curious what others pay (knowing geography likely is a factor as well).

In Northern VA about 10 miles outside of DC, at Lifetime Fitness (higher end gym) we charged $91-$121 an hour. That was a few years ago.

Really a lot depends on the type of gym, trainer experience, and the location geographically.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I worked with a Powerlifting coach. I paid her $35/hr (in cash). We often ran over the hour time frame. It was totally worth the $.
  • turnitaroundat40
    turnitaroundat40 Posts: 193 Member
    Thanks for the reply! I don’t live in a major urban centre and she is new to this occupation so given how happy I am with her, it would seem then that this is a very reasonable rate.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    If she helps you with your goals, then its priceless. When I paid my trainer she was a Tier 3 in our gym (highest level of education and certifications) and she was $84/hr (Northern NJ). I paid her for 3x per week for a couple years because she helped me get in shape and also lose my fear of lifting and increased significantly my running performance and nutrition knowledge. It was money well spent to me and would gladly still pay if I could afford it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It's going to depend a lot on your area market. When I was working with my trainer I was paying him $50 per hour session which is a bit above mid-range for the market here. I thought it was a good deal considering he and his wife own the gym, has a degree is exercise physiology and a masters in nutritional science in addition to his certs, and is a retired professional BMX racer who still is one of the coaches for team USA BMX and coaches a lot of other high end athletes in the area.

He's a really good friend of mine now...and now that I think about it, I wonder if he charges different for actually coaching vs training a Joe Schmoe like me
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I used to work a bit as a photographer, and it's kind of similar to personal training as there is usually a wide variety of price ranges within the same market. There is always somebody "cheaper", but usually you get what you pay for. I would say that if you feel happy with your current trainer, and it fits within your budget, I wouldn't have any reservations about continuing to pay what you pay.