How to stop over-eating after exercise?

Hi there,
Finding it hard to keep at my calorie limit on the days that I exercise - always seem to get super hungry a few hours later. Even if i mostly have healthy, protein-rich food I can't seem to stop myself having a treat! Any advice for managing this/not eating back all of the exercise calories?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    How many pounds do you want to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you chose? You may have chosen a goal that is too aggressive for what you need to lose and exercising may make an overly large deficit worse.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • foodislife33
    foodislife33 Posts: 3 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You are supposed to eat back all of the exercise calories. That is how MFP is designed. Your goal is not inclusive of exercise so exercise is above and beyond that. When your body burns more calories, you need to fuel it with more calories. So you should eat them all back and not try to avoid it.

Thank you - I'm not sure of the accuracy of the exercise calories which is why I try to avoid it but guess I could eat say half of them
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Sorry, I don’t have that problem so no really good advice. But maybe try eating a little more earlier in the day. See if that makes it better or worse? Be ready for it since you know it’s gonna happen. Try having high carb snacks ready to eat as soon as you’re done for a week or so, high protein for a week or so, then compare?
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I usually eat most of mine (bank calories through the week and catch up on the weekend), but my fitbit is reasonably accurate as well.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Sorry, I don’t have that problem so no really good advice. But maybe try eating a little more earlier in the day. See if that makes it better or worse? Be ready for it since you know it’s gonna happen. Try having high carb snacks ready to eat as soon as you’re done for a week or so, high protein for a week or so, then compare?

I agree, u can distribute ur calories through out the day and leave the majority of it after ur workout

Me personally after working out i feel my stomach with water. Keeps me full till i sleep
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    I noticed that as soon as I stopped just running and started lifting weights and doing LISS I wasn’t ravenous all the time, even in a deficit. Maybe switch up what kind of exercise you’re doing?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    What sort of exercise are you doing? Excessive cardio can make a lot of people more hungry. Maybe change your exercise and see if that helps.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    As soon as I finish a workout, I immediately eat a huge protein meal. The body metabolises to replace energy just spent.

Could do a large carb meal too. I just prefer proteins.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    As soon as I finish a workout, I immediately eat a huge protein meal. The body metabolises to replace energy just spent.

Could do a large carb meal too. I just prefer proteins.
    Yeah same, as in I eat a fairly large meal, high satiety meal after working out and I'm normally good until my next meal.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I just don’t have the treats in the house
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You are supposed to eat back all of the exercise calories. That is how MFP is designed. Your goal is not inclusive of exercise so exercise is above and beyond that. When your body burns more calories, you need to fuel it with more calories. So you should eat them all back and not try to avoid it.

Thank you - I'm not sure of the accuracy of the exercise calories which is why I try to avoid it but guess I could eat say half of them

One estimate that is absolutely 100% wrong is 0 exercise calories. so yes if you have concerns, start with half to 75%.

and plan for it in your daily calorie alotment. I like to pre-log as much of a day as I can and would account for the hunger post workout by planning to eat something after the workout.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    What exercise are you doing? I find the walking and running calories to be pretty accurate, since that is very easy to compute, so I eat back 100%.

• foodislife33
    foodislife33 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks all some useful advice! Will try just eating a bit more (not junk) as I really think exercise is important (mix of cardio and strength training)
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Hi there,
    Finding it hard to keep at my calorie limit on the days that I exercise - always seem to get super hungry a few hours later. Even if i mostly have healthy, protein-rich food I can't seem to stop myself having a treat! Any advice for managing this/not eating back all of the exercise calories?

Do you like Boiled Eggs?

I find I cant eat more than a couple without being completely full.

Lots of good stuff in them, filling, and relatively low cal (compared to most snacks anyway!).

Perhaps just finding something like this that fills your hunger will help?