New and needing HELP!

Options
:wink: Hey everyone! Im very new to this site, but I am liking it so far.

I mostly need help in my exercise. I'm pretty comfortable on the elliptical machine and the treadmill. When I go to the gym, I usually hop on a cardio machiene for about 45 min to an hour, or swim laps for about an hour. I am mostly concerned about losing weight (goal 135, right now at 174), but I would also like to tone up. When it comes to weights I'm pretty much lost. I guess I have the idea that to work with weights would add muscle to the fat and end up looking bigger, thats why I have been stuck on the cardio machines.

Is it better to do free weights before or after cardio work out??

Is it better to work out in the morning or at night?

How many reps should I be aming for when working with weights for arm exercises?

I would love to have a personal trainer, but just can afford it. If anyone has helpful information that woudl be greatly appreciated!!!

In the nutritional area, I have been cutting back on fried food, desserts, sugar and caffiene. Its hard for me to cut back on carbs though, which I hear is almost as bad. But I'm not a big meat-eater so its hard to know good choices other carrot sticks!!

Please help!!

Replies

• helencorrie
    helencorrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :wink: Hey everyone! Im very new to this site, but I am liking it so far.

I mostly need help in my exercise. I'm pretty comfortable on the elliptical machine and the treadmill. When I go to the gym, I usually hop on a cardio machiene for about 45 min to an hour, or swim laps for about an hour. I am mostly concerned about losing weight (goal 135, right now at 174), but I would also like to tone up. When it comes to weights I'm pretty much lost. I guess I have the idea that to work with weights would add muscle to the fat and end up looking bigger, thats why I have been stuck on the cardio machines.

Is it better to do free weights before or after cardio work out??

Is it better to work out in the morning or at night?

How many reps should I be aming for when working with weights for arm exercises?

I would love to have a personal trainer, but just can afford it. If anyone has helpful information that woudl be greatly appreciated!!!

In the nutritional area, I have been cutting back on fried food, desserts, sugar and caffiene. Its hard for me to cut back on carbs though, which I hear is almost as bad. But I'm not a big meat-eater so its hard to know good choices other carrot sticks!!

Please help!!
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I find that I do my exersize in the morning so I can plan my food in advance for the day. It sounds to me that you have a good workout plan in place I wish I could help out on the weights but I am as lost as you when I walk in that room sorry good luck:happy:
  • marisa0918
    Options
    It is best to do a warm up cardio (10 mins or so) then do some weight training. I do the machines and I do 3 8-12 sets with like 30 second breaks in between. Make sure that you are lifting enough weight that when you get to the end of your set you are "struggling".

My typical workout is:
    Mon -- arms and back
    Tues -- legs
    Wed -- abs
    Thurs - arms and back
    Fri-- legs
    Sat -- abs
    Not saying that my schedule is perfect but it works for me

I found a post where Fitness_Chick explains why you do weight then cardio
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/41135-weights-first-cardio-second
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site, it is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. I am also lost on lifting weight issue too, I work out at home b/c I can't afford to go to a gym.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I generally work out at night (because that is when I have to). I always do my cardio first to get my heart pumping... I can only do 3 days a week right now... so I do:

1- biceps, back, obliques
    2- legs, abs
    3- triceps, chest, shoulders
  • harth
    harth Posts: 1
    Options
    Think of it this way.......the more muscle you have the more calories you just "burn" on a daily basis. By adding more muscle to your frame, you essentially speed up your bodies ability to burn calories!!!Muscle is the most metabolically active tissue in your body. At REST, a pound of lean muscle burns up to 25 times more calories than a pound of fat. Thats the reason why most people gain weight as they age - losing muscle mass.

So if that isn't incentive to pump iron i don't know what is!

My favorite workout is to do about half an hour of cardio, then hit the weights. Work each seperate body part seperatly, then do an excercise that works your whole core, like planks. After that, go for a quick jog on the treadmill, which will feel much harder becuase your muscles will be tired, but it really helps to kick up the calorie burning!

Make sure you have a protein filled snack within half an hour of your workout, so that your muscles have the fuel they need to repair themselves and grow. I love eating hummous after a workout, delicious! Or peanut butter on whole wheat toast.

Good luck and have fun!!!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Actually, adding muscle will make you lose slimmer. Women always complain that they don't lift because they don't want bulging muscles. We don't have enough testosterone in our bodies to get muscles anywhere near that of guys (women body builders lift for 2-3 hours a day). The cardio is definitely a good thing. Keep that up. You want to do the cardio before lifting. When lifting, you can either use lighter weights and do lots of reps or heavier weights and do less reps. The time of working out doesn't matter as much. Its all personal preference. Like Heather said, i also prefer working out in the morning because the gym is less crowed and it allows me to plan my day better.

As for nutrition, you shouldn't have to cut carbs. Just make sure they're the right kind. Eat complex carbs (whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta), not simple ones (white spread, refined sugar, etc.) I'm not much of a meat eater either so i load up on fruits and veggies. Make sure you're eating enough protein.

Hope some of that helped :smile: