Question about this machine

tmbg1
tmbg1 Posts: 1,268 Member
It's supposed to strengthen your back, but I don't feel anything when I use it. I added some more weight but still really just feel it in my hands. Does this contraption really strengthen your back?

Replies

• tmbg1
    Oops I can't get the picture to work....it's a Cybex back extension machine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Hmm I can’t picture a back extension machine that requires use of your hands. Usually you fold your arms across your chest. I suggest checking with staff at the gym to be sure you’re using it correctly with an appropriate weight.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    The MedX machine has handles but its to place your hands, not push with them. Sounds like some guidance on correct use would help?
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member
    Better off doing deadlifts
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    ^^^^^ with proper form. Agreed!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Is it like one of these?

cybex_vr2_back_extension_1.jpg

cybex-cyb-fw-abe-45-degree-back-extension__66226.1549653689.jpg
  • tmbg1
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Is it like one of these?

cybex_vr2_back_extension_1.jpg

cybex-cyb-fw-abe-45-degree-back-extension__66226.1549653689.jpg

Looks like the top one more.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I have never seen one like that top one before, how does it even work? Where do you stand?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You don’t stand-you sit with the upper horizontal pad against your back. You then move into back extension against the weight resistance.

I am not against all selectorized weight machines, but this is the type that gives all selectorized machines a bad name.

It works an isolated muscle group that is part of a complex system, and it doesn’t do it very well. To further the sin, most people are not weak in that area and it is rarely the cause of back pain.
  • tmbg1
    Azdak wrote: »
    You don’t stand-you sit with the upper horizontal pad against your back. You then move into back extension against the weight resistance.

I am not against all selectorized weight machines, but this is the type that gives all selectorized machines a bad name.

It works an isolated muscle group that is part of a complex system, and it doesn’t do it very well. To further the sin, most people are not weak in that area and it is rarely the cause of back pain.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense and is very helpful. :)