Polyunsaturated & monounsaturated fats

Options
I see i can't have any polyunsaturated & monounsaturated but thats just impossible. I just don't know how many i can have???? How much polyunsaturated & monounsaturated fats do you consume in a day??

Replies

• changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ??? Who says you can't have those?
  • GoodbyeAgony
    GoodbyeAgony Posts: 3 Member
    Options

The app kinda did it always turns red when i consume them
  • GoodbyeAgony
    GoodbyeAgony Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The goals for poly and monounsaturated fats should read N/A for not applicable because there is no maximum goal for these fats other than staying within your total fat goal. Some time ago MFP switched it from N/A to zero and never switched it back. Ignore it. Have as many of those as you want within the rest of your nutrition goals.

Okay thank you. Did you change it or just left it the way it was? This could be a rude question maybe but how many do you consume in a day?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The goals for poly and monounsaturated fats should read N/A for not applicable because there is no maximum goal for these fats other than staying within your total fat goal. Some time ago MFP switched it from N/A to zero and never switched it back. Ignore it. Have as many of those as you want within the rest of your nutrition goals.

Okay thank you. Did you change it or just left it the way it was? This could be a rude question maybe but how many do you consume in a day?

I left mine alone, but I honestly don't pay any attention to my unsaturated fats. I don't micromanage my nutrition that much. The red numbers don't bother me since I'm trying to get into the red for some nutrients. My logs show that I get less than 10 grams of each daily, but I know that won't be accurate since mono and polyunsaturated fats aren't required to be listed on food labels.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I see i can't have any polyunsaturated & monounsaturated but thats just impossible. I just don't know how many i can have???? How much polyunsaturated & monounsaturated fats do you consume in a day??

They are zero or N/A because there is no actual recommendation anywhere. They are good, healthy fats...they are the one's you should be focusing on in relation to your total fat targets.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

They are zero or N/A because there is no actual recommendation anywhere. They are good, healthy fats...they are the one's you should be focusing on in relation to your total fat targets.

And PUFA contain essential fats. MUFA have also been linked to improved health markers. So you cant see too much wrong when consuming these.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options

The app kinda did it always turns red when i consume them

Actually, thanks to MFP's wonderful trick of turning red when you hit a goal spot on, it actually is red for mono- and polyunsaturated fats even when you haven't consumed any (or haven't logged any food that includes the info for unsaturated fats, or when you haven't eaten anything yet for the day).

And don't get me started on the red display if you manage to hit your calorie goal spot on. It's a goal, MFP. Hitting it exactly is what you do you in an ideal world. It's not a bad thing.
  • jnel70
    jnel70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same question! I was so confused. It made me question if mono & poly unsaturated fats were good or bad. Which didn't make sense. I am trying to lower my cholesterol so I am paying close attention to my food log.
    I'm glad that others have had the same question.
    Thanks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jnel70 wrote: »
    I had the same question! I was so confused. It made me question if mono & poly unsaturated fats were good or bad. Which didn't make sense. I am trying to lower my cholesterol so I am paying close attention to my food log.
    I'm glad that others have had the same question.
    Thanks.

Weight loss and exercise will have the biggest impact on metabolic health. Eliminating/reducing processed foods will also help.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I had been wondering the same.
  • Char61618
    Char61618 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I was utterly confused! Now I understand.