Vacation from Keto

lalabank
lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
In my last year of being Keto I’ve had no problem navigating special occasions, business trips, holidays and family gatherings. I truly find Keto to be pretty easy.
But for beach week we decided to purposely go off Keto and eat some garbage. Think of it as a delicious scientific experiment!
Lol so I’m home, six pounds bloated and I feel it in every joint. My energy is low. My belief in my Keto life style is stronger then ever. But I am completely ok with taking a couple of days a few times a year to remind myself why I live this life.
Excited to see how long it takes me to bounce back to my normal. It actually seems like I might be even more excited and dedicated for having taken a little break.
Has anyone else scheduled a time off?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I have not taken a break from keto. For things like Thanksgiving or vacation, I still keep net carbs under 20 for the day, but the calories and protein/fat just go where they go. This has worked pretty well for me (almost three years).

I will be interested to hear how long it takes to bounce back.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Since the beginning of March I have gone off for 2 meals. One a banquet where they served pasta and more pasta and once where there we had these new chocolates I really wanted to try, so I did... then tried them again... After both experiences, I had bloating and a good reminder of why I eat Keto. Once I am close to maintenance I would not be opposed to having a few days off, but there would have to be fun food. =)
    On vacations I eat keto but just don't count calories, eat closer to or even over maintenance calories. That feels like a vacation to me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I deliberately planned to do keto for two years and then transition to low carb. Transition was supposed to be September, but vacations are July so I decided to go ahead and transition at the start of this month. So far, no return of migraines, no joint pains, and no noticeable water gains - I'm sure there are some, but my water weight always fluctuates a lot, so I probably just can't tell. I did have some bloating after having ice cream, but dairy kind of always did that to me, so I don't think it's the carbs.

I have noticed that my seasonal allergies are back, but very mild. I didn't have them at all when I was still keto and now I have an on-again-off-again mild congestion and dry/itchy eyes.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I can imagine. One day, I accidentally ate something that must've spiked my insulin, kicked me out of ketosis.

Wow, the bloat was terrible, loss of normal keto energy level plummeted. Felt blah and zombie like!

I threw that food in the garbage, and it took a couple of days to get back to high energy and feeling good.

• lalabank
    Dropping back into Ketosis super quick. I guess after a year of living Keto it has become my natural state.
    24hrs and 2lbs out of 6 are gone. Joints are still a little sore and my energy is still low but considering the heat and humidity I don’t know if I can really say that’s 100% diet related.
    Interesting observation is that I’m super hungry. I think I forgot this part of adjustment. For the last year in ketosis if I feel hungry I eat and feel full, yesterday I ate a normal days menu and went to bed feeling hungry. A result of my week of carb/sugar eating?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    lalabank wrote: »
    Dropping back into Ketosis super quick. I guess after a year of living Keto it has become my natural state.
    24hrs and 2lbs out of 6 are gone. Joints are still a little sore and my energy is still low but considering the heat and humidity I don’t know if I can really say that’s 100% diet related.
    Interesting observation is that I’m super hungry. I think I forgot this part of adjustment. For the last year in ketosis if I feel hungry I eat and feel full, yesterday I ate a normal days menu and went to bed feeling hungry. A result of my week of carb/sugar eating?

I've found that to be the case. For me anyway.
    After being adapted a long time, it's easy to get back in, but some of the symptoms still linger, like the water weight, joint paint, fatigue and the hungries.
  • lalabank
    Another 2lbs gone! The bloat is coming off super fast. I’m wondering if I will keep losing at an accelerated rate for a short period once I get past the 6lbs?
    I’ve been losing roughly 5lbs a month pretty steady for 10 months but my first month of Keto was a 12lb whoosh. I am CICO for weight loss and keto for overall health but I’d take a big Keto whoosh!!!

My energy feels pretty much back on track but I still have a big case of the hungries.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    lalabank wrote: »
    5.4lbs out of 6lbs of carb bloat gone in 3 days.
    Hunger feels under control. Back to normal.

So - not the train wreck... It sounds as if you are back on track.