What is your “go to” post workout snack that isn’t a shake?

I’ve usually ate a banana after a workout if I’m hungry but I’m lowering my carb intake.

What’s your post workout snack? Looking for ideas! Thanks 😊

Replies

• Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Greek yogurt has been my go-to. Or sometimes I'll do a darker toast with laughing cow cheese and turkey.
  • JnelMcNelly
    JnelMcNelly Posts: 7 Member
    Anything you enjoy that includes some carbs and protein is always good. A shake or greek yogurt is always my go-to, but some other good options are almonds, cashews, or a few boiled eggs. A protein bar is usually a good choice but most of the ones that taste any good have artificial sweeteners and are way overpriced. Fruit can also be a beneficial way to quickly get carbohydrates into your system as well. Greek yogurt and a handful of nuts is one of your best options.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    If I'm working out before breakfast: breakfast
    If I'm working out before dinner: dinner

If neither are true (which is rare), then maybe something a Clif bar, a handful of nuts (hazelnuts or almonds are my preference).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have candy during my workout then lunch after usually. Salad or vegetables with chicken.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Apple after swimming, protein bar after weights
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Icy ice water. The low carb kind.
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Beef Jerky, but its my go to snack all the time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Gatorade or a piece of fruit if it's mid-afternoon. My next meal if it's not. If I skipped lunch to do my long run, then usually a sandwich or half sandwich.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    If you're trying to lower your carb intake such that a banana is no longer a good option, then anything I eat post workout isn't going to help you.

Is there a reason you need to eat post-workout?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's too easy for me. We try to eat pretty healthy dinners four or five days a week made at home. It allows lots of healthier leftovers. Last night was Chicken Salad. I'll have either Spinach Pesto Pasta (gluten free for me as I'm highly reactive to wheat) or Chicken Salad today on GF Crackers. We nearly always have a veggie, a carb and protein together for nearly every meal.

If, on the rare occasion I don't have leftovers, I keep some Turkey or Chicken Burgers in the freezer that are quick to heat up in a skillet along with a bag of frozen veggies. Trader Joes is great for both.

I should clarify, I workout at lunch fasted and eat after. So it's a pretty big meal, bigger than most eat for dinner! I don't eat AM calories at all, just works better for me. Plus, I typically burn 600 to 1000 calories, so with that type of workout, you have to feed the body.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    It's too easy for me. We try to eat pretty healthy dinners four or five days a week made at home. It allows lots of healthier leftovers. Last night was Chicken Salad. I'll have either Spinach Pesto Pasta (gluten free for me as I'm highly reactive to wheat) or Chicken Salad today on GF Crackers. We nearly always have a veggie, a carb and protein together for nearly every meal.

If, on the rare occasion I don't have leftovers, I keep some Turkey or Chicken Burgers in the freezer that are quick to heat up in a skillet along with a bag of frozen veggies. Trader Joes is great for both.

I should clarify, I workout at lunch fasted and eat after. So it's a pretty big meal, bigger than most eat for dinner! I don't eat AM calories at all, just works better for me. Plus, I typically burn 600 to 1000 calories, so with that type of workout, you have to feed the body.

Well, I know where I'm going today. The question is do I brave TJ's before or after my late morning workout...
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Lunch. I used to have a protein bar or hardboiled eggs with fruit, but it just became an extra, unnecessary snack with calories. I switched my workout to before lunch, so that works out better. I just make sure my lunch has a good amount of protein.
  • MikePfirrman
    aokoye wrote: »

Well, I know where I'm going today. The question is do I brave TJ's before or after my late morning workout...

The Chile Lime Chicken Burgers!! Trust me on that one!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Chili lime chicken burgers???

I can't decide if it's good or bad that I don't have a Trader Joe's near me...
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Spoonful of natural peanut butter.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2019
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Chili lime chicken burgers???

I can't decide if it's good or bad that I don't have a Trader Joe's near me...

I know, right? "Natural Flavors" can stand for about anything, but I bought these on a whim, thinking, if I don't love them I'll literally feed them to my dogs. I love these. This link has the ingredients on them. I don't usually like Chicken Burgers at all, but these are tasty.

https://thefittchick.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/photo290.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Most of my cardio and strength workouts just fit in my eating schedule for the day.

If I'm cycling long enough (say 4hrs +) to need a post-workout snack then it varies whether I'm at home or away from home but roughly aiming for 4:1 carb/protein ratio. But if I'm finishing at home it's just as likely that snack is a meal. At the end of last week's 100km ride peaches and rice pudding were very popular and old school recovery food but I suspect too many carbs for you. :smile:

Exceptions might be a shorter but hot/humid ride where my body will crave a salted snack of some description to replace electrolytes lost through sweating, crisps or nuts for example.

What are you trying to get from your post workout snack OP?
    It's also best to give a bit more information rather than just "workout" - duration/intensity/type?

If it's just satisfying your hunger then pick whatever works for you and you enjoy and fits in your daily goals.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    String cheese. You're supposed to have protein.