Fat Burning

When lifting weights, is it best to do more reps with a manageable weight or use heavier weights with fewer reps to burn fat?

Replies

• rooneyfamilyflorida
    rooneyfamilyflorida Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you... I know that I will need a calorie deficit and aerobic activity, but I am still wondering when lifting weights, which option would be best suited for fat burn.... also... what is best/suggested for burning visceral fat aside from overall weight loss.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Thank you... I know that I will need a calorie deficit and aerobic activity, but I am still wondering when lifting weights, which option would be best suited for fat burn.... also... what is best/suggested for burning visceral fat aside from overall weight loss.

Again, weight lifting isn't for fat loss - it's for muscle strengthening/growth. Burning fat (visceral or otherwise) is accomplished by being in a caloric deficit. That's it, that's all.

For emphasis.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    When lifting weights, is it best to do more reps with a manageable weight or use heavier weights with fewer reps to burn fat?

There's no noticeable difference. Lighter weights tend to produce less of a "toned" look, since the muscle layer doesn't grow as much.
    Which strength program are you following?
  • JnelMcNelly
    JnelMcNelly Posts: 7 Member
    To more directly answer your question, either one will help the same amount in terms of burning fat. The type of training you do, as in high reps vs low reps, effects your muscles and the way they recover. Both ae beneficial in different ways, but that is a separate discussion. Burning fat will be benefited simply from the energy you exert during those workouts.

Hopefully I took a more balanced approach than some of the other posters. While it is correct the only way to burn fat is being in a caloric deficit, I did want to specify why that is. Feel free to train with weights any way you please. It will all help the same, granted you are working out at a good intensity.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

There's no noticeable difference. Lighter weights tend to produce less of a "toned" look, since the muscle layer doesn't grow as much.
    Which strength program are you following?

There's some caveats in me making this statement, but if anything, it is the exact opposite: lighter weights grow muscle, heavy ones are less likely to grow them. The caveat is that in both cases, the RPE is equivalent, and there is some equivalency of volume.

Training heavy with triples or less can cause strength gains, but those won't necessarily induce hypertrophy - the strength gains can be purely neural adaptations and technique. Sets in the higher rep ranges, which require lighter weights, won't see progressive overload without hypertrophy: one can't as readily train the neural adaptions to keep doing more reps so well as one can train neural adaptions to lift in a coordinated fashion.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

The only way to get rid of visceral fat (without surgery) is to lose weight and lower your overall body fat percentage. Our genes decide where the fat we lose comes from and where the fat that remains stays.

If there were easy answers that didn't require time and diet, everybody would be doing them and we'd all look like models.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Weight loss - fat loss is calories in vs. calories out PERIOD. Take in fewer calories - that is best for weight loss.

Find exercise you enjoy (think lifestyle change). Aerobic activity is great for your heart and lungs. Lift weights because it helps you keep lean muscle while you lose weight and because it's good for bone health.

Don't exercise because you want to lose weight, instead think longer term. In terms of health....how long do you want to be healthy for?
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Cardio work with lite weights...example HITT, tabata, or high rep sets. It keep your heart up and down. You will burn off more calories and increase your strength. Your metabolism will stay elevated even after your workout. You would need to watch your fat intake and intake if you want get leaner. This is part of what I do that is showing results. But everyone is different.

Nope, nope and nope.