What is/was your plan?

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
edited July 2019 in Social Groups
This is a place to discuss your recipe for success. If your plan is still under construction this may be a place to get ideas or bounce what you might be thinking off of other people. You may also see something you want to try for yourself to see how it fits.

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited July 2019
    I cut out sweets and calorie dense junk food. I typically eat around 1800 calories per day, and it seems to be working for me so far.

I've also pushed myself to be more active. Started just walking more, parking further and further from work. Recently I've added bicycling, and have worked my way up from 3 mile rides to 11-12 mile rides over the past couple weeks.
  • NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    I cut out sweets and calorie dense junk food. I typically eat around 1800 calories per day, and it seems to be working for me so far.

I've also pushed myself to be more active. Started just walking more, parking further and further from work. Recently I've added bicycling, and have worked my way up from 3 mile rides to 11-12 mile rides over the past couple weeks.

I am very envious of you riding. I am unable to do it at the moment because of a physical limitation but it may not be much longer!

• merph518
    I hear ya. I tried to start the Couch to 5K program about a month and a half ago, but I was sore for a week. Decided to take smaller steps toward it, doing lower impact biking instead until I lose a bit more weight.
  • NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    I hear ya. I tried to start the Couch to 5K program about a month and a half ago, but I was sore for a week. Decided to take smaller steps toward it, doing lower impact biking instead until I lose a bit more weight.

I have heard good things about the couch 5k program.

I am almost light enough to have the surgery I need to unlock more activity. I have already started looking at different bike options because I am so excited to do it again.
  • merph518
    It's pretty great, I did the program in 2009 and it helped me lose the 100 lbs I lost back then. I didn't start running until I was maybe 275lbs back then... I was just being impatient now I guess ;)
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I cant remember the last time I ran, I did go out this week buy a basketball and went to the park to shoot a little. I used to love basketball, it was nice to shoot around, I am gonna try to keep doing it
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    I cant remember the last time I ran, I did go out this week buy a basketball and went to the park to shoot a little. I used to love basketball, it was nice to shoot around, I am gonna try to keep doing it

That is funny because I was eyeballing the goal that came with the house just yesterday. Unfortunately, like many home basketball goals it is not in a great position and when I miss it will be kind of annoying to keep chasing the ball into the neighbor's yard. While that will create a lot of opportunity for movement it will get pretty old pretty fast. Still, like you, I once loved to play so maybe I need to find a different place.

I do think there is value in chipping away at things we want to do.
  • jjlewey
    NovusDies wrote: »
    jjlewey wrote: »

That is funny because I was eyeballing the goal that came with the house just yesterday. Unfortunately, like many home basketball goals it is not in a great position and when I miss it will be kind of annoying to keep chasing the ball into the neighbor's yard. While that will create a lot of opportunity for movement it will get pretty old pretty fast. Still, like you, I once loved to play so maybe I need to find a different place.

I do think there is value in chipping away at things we want to do.

I don't know if it is an option but they make those attachments that will guide the ball back to you.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spalding-NBA-Ball-Return-Yellow/3874951?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228009674843&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40837242512&wl4=aud-481962823846:pla-78214337727&wl5=9051602&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=3874951&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjw98rpBRAuEiwALmo-ykd_wZ91mS75RKxyABqyMnqOIbHvk1iU4zftRRqqq58jAWXtTN3G7BoCoCwQAvD_BwE
  • jjlewey
    Wow that is a long link lol
  • NovusDies
    That is a long link. That would be helpful when I make a basket. I am assuming since I have not tried in a billion years I will be doing good to hit the backboard 30 percent of the time.
  • NovusDies
    @TwinThompson

You mentioned struggling with protein as a vegetarian in "Getting Started". Here is a link to a thread with protein sources for all 3 categories:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    @NovusDies that’s champion!! Few surprises on the veggie list there
  • merph518
    I've let myself get a bit more lax with my calories after I started running. Where I was aiming for 1800 for intake, I'm now landing around 2000 on average. My progress has slowed and I'm not super happy with it, so I'm going to try something else.

Starting today, I'm going to start 16:8 IF (intermittent fasting) with a calorie goal somewhere between 1700-1800 per day. I've been doing IF on the weekends for a few months now and that has helped me control my calories when I do it.

Essentially I'm cutting out one of my guilty pleasures -- my morning sausage egg and cheese on a bagel sandwich. I can do without it and hopefully it'll be what I need to see a better weight loss pace.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I try to eat a very light breakfast unless I am extremely hungry....I like my bigger meals and snacks later in the day...let us know how it goes for you
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I used to feel like I had to have breakfast, and snacks, and generally was eating whenever I felt a tiny bit hungry or bored.

this summer I started biking to work, and also tried out what I'll call lazy intermittent fasting. basically, I started sipping breakfast, because I found I wasn't actually hungry until 10a, 11a, or even noon. it also meant not having a large bagel with cream cheese every morning, so saved a bunch of energy points there. then I'd eat within an 8-9 hour window, which helped me cut off snacking after dinner.

that all helped me establish my weekly routine of a smallish lunch (450), a snack or two (150 per), then a big dinner, which is nice because I don't have to worry much about cutting back on that meal. weekends are often less rigorous, but it helps that Mondays start right back up again. I also stick to maintenance level as needed. it's been great, and best of all it hasn't been *difficult* since I'm mostly eating all the same things, just less

I don't worry about protein levels much, even as a vegetarian, because I figure my cells make what they need for the most part. average daily intake is 50/30/20 carb/fat/protein.

last thing: for me success has come down to keeping it simple. I eat my regular food types, while monitoring energy/cal intake. and biking has been amazing my because--if I'm honest--I'm pretty lazy about going somewhere to specifically work out (a gym), but my bike is always just right there for me to hop on and get outside!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    My plan short and long term is to keep doing what I am doing!...