goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
Hello,

I made my own smoothie with:

2/3 of a banana - 63 calories
10g of pulsin plain protein powder - 39 cals
100mls unsweetened almond milk 37 cals
I tablespoon (weighed) of almond nut butter 95 cals

234 calories and it was really, really tasty.

You could a tiny bit of honey and still come in at under 250 if you wanted - really good for a breakfast or snack on the go

Replies

• pprice614
    pprice614 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make a similar smoothie. Here's mine.

1 banana - 100 cals
    1 scoop chocolate protein - 130 cals
    2 tbsp pbfit - 70 cals
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk - 30 cals

It's 330 cals but within my calorie and macro limit most days. Chocolate, peanut butter, banana smoothie. Absolutely delicious!
  • goatelope
    Options
    Ooo that sounds good. I find the protein powder really helpful and surprisingly not that calorific. 10g of mine is 39 calories and 20g is enough to make a large glass of something super thick and tasty. Keep sharing recipes! Xx might try cinnamon, oats and raisins tomorrow :)
  • pprice614
    pprice614 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've tried oats in smoothies and I can't seem to handle the consistency. I wonder if it's better to saok them first? Almost like making overnight oats but then toss them in the blender. I've tried it before with raw oats and they don't seem to blend well. Ideas?
  • goatelope
    Options
    Yes that’s an idea. I have to admit I didn’t think the oats did much for it. I think protein powder works well with banana, and sometimes the almond milk can be replaced with water. A lot of people like yogurt rather than oats for thickness / substance?
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you cook the rolled oats - then use in the smoothie it works great. Steel cut did not. I make up a cup oatmeal with 1/4 cup flax meal and chia seeds every week and then use a 1/4 cup in my smoothie and store the rest in a tupperware. I make rainbow smoothies and strive for 1 fruit or vegetable in each color group. Today- Spinach, Beet, banana, orange, blueberry.

• MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Haricot beans or chick peas make good protein thickeners as they don't taste of much
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    MaryContrary1972 - I was going to post the same thing. I hate protein powder.
    I use either chick peas or black eye peas for my protein - love the taste. Next on the list is red lentils

My protein drink:

Carrot juice - 8 oz
    4 oz water
    Cashew Butter - 4 tbs
    Black eye peas or chick peas - 1 can - thoroughly rinsed
    Kale or Spring mix - 4 oz - 6 oz
    Frozen bananas - 2
    Cacao powder - 2 tbs
    Raw ginger - 30 grams
    A little sweetener if needed like Agave

If I don't have carrot juice, I just use plain water.

I made enough to fill 4 - 12/16 oz bottles and keep in the fridge for at least a couple of days