Introduce Yourself

Replies

• jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks for sharing, tieing shoes and putting on socks easily are two things that bug the hell out of me too. Keep your head up.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I'm Dave, 5'10, 316 lbs. I used to be in shape. Now I'm just a shape. I was an ex pro hockey player, but I can't even tie my skates anymore. UGH!!! I seem to do well, then the binging happens and it's just throw everything down my face hole. I have a 3 year old daughter that I want to see grow up. I don't want to die!!

Welcome @davemacdonald31,

I used to do pretty massive overfeeds when I was on a plan that was too restrictive. I would just go a little nuts and eat all the foods I had been missing x 4. I am not sure if that is what you are going through or not.

I hope we can help you in some way achieve your goal. I definitely understand about tying things. My last set of shoes are still pretty new and they fit so I am still currently in shoes with velcro flaps but I will probably change than in a few more months. It would be kind of weird to look down there and see shoestrings again.
  • jlucas210
    jlucas210 Posts: 43 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm Janine. I'm 5'4.5" & started MFP at the beginning of June @ 299. I did not want to see 300 (unfortunately, one of my higher days showed 301.5, but I just kept going & it only lasted a day). I'm now at 285.5 & need to lose so much it is overwhelming. I don't think I've ever even seen the weight that would put me in a normal BMI. I set what I thought was an aggressive goal of 150, then realized that even that was not a normal BMI. Trying to keep my focus on what I need to do today and not how far I have to go.
  • NovusDies
    jlucas210 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm Janine. I'm 5'4.5" & started MFP at the beginning of June @ 299. I did not want to see 300 (unfortunately, one of my higher days showed 301.5, but I just kept going & it only lasted a day). I'm now at 285.5 & need to lose so much it is overwhelming. I don't think I've ever even seen the weight that would put me in a normal BMI. I set what I thought was an aggressive goal of 150, then realized that even that was not a normal BMI. Trying to keep my focus on what I need to do today and not how far I have to go.

Hi @jlucas210,

Welcome. The bolded is very smart and it is what I realized I had to do too. Thinking of weight loss drives me crazy because it takes so long. I try to focus on today and then let weight loss be a bonus prize that shows up on the scale eventually.

I don't know what my weight goal is. I know I was at a healthy weight as a young kid but that changed before middle school so I don't know what a correct weight is for me as an adult. I know the top of my BMI range is 180 but have no idea how I will feel about that when I hit 200. I know of no advantage to having a goal weight so I will worry about it when I get somewhere close.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    I'm Evan; 51 y/o; 5'8"; 270 lbs. I retired from the Air Force in 2012 and gained about 90 lbs. Would like to lose that plus a little. I used MFP successfully in the past, but threw the progress away. I've been a "live to eat" kind of guy. Would like to train myself to be more "eat to live."
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    ...I've been sitting here posting for 40 minutes past when my shift ended on a Friday. Super happy to have found this group.

I probably should go home though. :)
  • shrinking_amazonian
    shrinking_amazonian Posts: 26 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    This morning I hit a new low of 318.4 lbs. I still have a long ways to go, but I'm headed in the right direction. I'm also happier than I have been in years. The heartburn's all but gone, I'm no longer winded just walking, and I've been back in bed where I belong at night since March or so.

I hope that everyone else sees a similar success! Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

Cheers,
    Merph

That is AMAZING to hear how much your weight loss has improved your quality of life!

• NovusDies
    evanblove wrote: »
    I'm Evan; 51 y/o; 5'8"; 270 lbs. I retired from the Air Force in 2012 and gained about 90 lbs. Would like to lose that plus a little. I used MFP successfully in the past, but threw the progress away. I've been a "live to eat" kind of guy. Would like to train myself to be more "eat to live."

Hi @evanblove,

Welcome to LL. Let us know where we can help or if you just need a place to vent from time to time this should be a good place for that too.
  • NovusDies
    merph518 wrote: »
    Hello! I've been looking for a group like this since I migrated to using MFP about a month ago. Every group I had found was completely dead.

I've been working toward improving my health and losing weight since the first of the year. It wasn't a New Year's resolution or anything, just happened to be the day I buckled down and got serious after the holiday.

I started off at 386.6 lbs, the highest weight I've ever been. I was miserable, it just took me a long time to realize why I was miserable. Walking around was tiring, I had heartburn all the time, and I was having trouble sleeping -- to the point where I was sleeping in a recliner for a good six months.

I made some changes to my diet -- cutting out sweets, fast food, basically anything calorie dense. Logged everything I ate and tracked my calories burned using a WearOS watch.

This morning I hit a new low of 318.4 lbs. I still have a long ways to go, but I'm headed in the right direction. I'm also happier than I have been in years. The heartburn's all but gone, I'm no longer winded just walking, and I've been back in bed where I belong at night since March or so.

I hope that everyone else sees a similar success! Feel free to friend me if you'd like.

Cheers,
    Merph

Hi @merph518. Welcome to LL.

Great progress and it is great you are getting happier. A lot of people think they won't be happy until the end and so they start off too aggressive but you know and I know that there are many ways our lives can improve at different stages of the journey.

Most MFP groups don't make it. I hope this will be one of the ones that does. I really appreciate you and everyone coming in here and posting a lot because that is what helps a group grow. The more lively it looks the more people will want to jump in and post too.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Hello, I'm Jackie from the UK. I got fat through too much drinking and takeaways while doing a desk job. Between 2000 and 2003 I lost 6st with Rosemary Conley then got pregnant, divorced and made redundant twice and put it all back on plus a little more. I remarried 4yrs ago and look horrendous in the photo's, despite trying to lose weight for the day I actually put more on.
    Then I changed my job, it's still a desk job but after a year I realised I'd lost 12lbs, this was without any effort so could only be down to the fact I worked on the first floor now and was moving about a bit more than I was. It was then I decided to put a bit more effort in and came back on here in September 2017. In 2018 I went on a holiday of a lifetime and I'd lost 4st. As the holiday was November I came back to Christmas and by New Year I'd put about 14lb back on, very disappointing.
    It's taken me till now to lose it, and this morning I was at my lowest weight for 13yrs so now I am really chuffed and completely focused on keeping it going.

My login streak is at 648 days, I eat whatever I want, and my motivation is the desire to wear nice clothes 😊
  • NovusDies
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm Jackie from the UK. I got fat through too much drinking and takeaways while doing a desk job. Between 2000 and 2003 I lost 6st with Rosemary Conley then got pregnant, divorced and made redundant twice and put it all back on plus a little more. I remarried 4yrs ago and look horrendous in the photo's, despite trying to lose weight for the day I actually put more on.
    Then I changed my job, it's still a desk job but after a year I realised I'd lost 12lbs, this was without any effort so could only be down to the fact I worked on the first floor now and was moving about a bit more than I was. It was then I decided to put a bit more effort in and came back on here in September 2017. In 2018 I went on a holiday of a lifetime and I'd lost 4st. As the holiday was November I came back to Christmas and by New Year I'd put about 14lb back on, very disappointing.
    It's taken me till now to lose it, and this morning I was at my lowest weight for 13yrs so now I am really chuffed and completely focused on keeping it going.

My login streak is at 648 days, I eat whatever I want, and my motivation is the desire to wear nice clothes 😊

Hi @Jackie9003 ,

Welcome to LL!

Good going on the new low weight. Hopefully the next new low is right around the corner. Glad you are here.
  • mithster
    mithster Posts: 3 Member
    Hey everybody,
    I'm Charles. I live in Montreal. I've been using MFP regularly for a few months but hadn't joined the community yet, and I felt like this was the time. I think it'll help keep things interesting and make it more motivating for me.
    I'm 29 and 235lbs at this point. A year and a half ago, I reached my peak of 270. I'd been 235 in high school, but had chosen to get fit for the first time in my life at 16, initially prompted by the fact that my watch was getting too tight and I had no more links to add, which came as an unacceptable shock :P Lol. Well, that and there was a girl... Well, I got down to 165 at the time, and stronger than before, all was fantastic! But it's been a little over 10 years and the habits I'd thought permanent went by the wayside gradually.
    Right now, I really want to lose an extra 50. I have sleep apnea and I believe it can be solved that way, which would make my life much better just by itself. I also want to feel good about myself again.
    That being said, I know rationally that I can do it and I know how... but I need to keep that belief alive, which is really tough! I even get the discouraging and totally irrational idea sometimes that maybe, just maybe, my body is different from every other animal and will not shed weight just by creating a calorie deficit. Lol. Because calories are invisible, and while I can feel hungry, I don't consciously process the fat cells.
    So, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to encouraging each other :) good luck everybody!
  • mithster
    mithster Posts: 3 Member
    Oh, and by all means, add me as a friend! I've only got one thus far :P
  • NovusDies
    mithster wrote: »
    Hey everybody,
    I'm Charles. I live in Montreal. I've been using MFP regularly for a few months but hadn't joined the community yet, and I felt like this was the time. I think it'll help keep things interesting and make it more motivating for me.
    I'm 29 and 235lbs at this point. A year and a half ago, I reached my peak of 270. I'd been 235 in high school, but had chosen to get fit for the first time in my life at 16, initially prompted by the fact that my watch was getting too tight and I had no more links to add, which came as an unacceptable shock :P Lol. Well, that and there was a girl... Well, I got down to 165 at the time, and stronger than before, all was fantastic! But it's been a little over 10 years and the habits I'd thought permanent went by the wayside gradually.
    Right now, I really want to lose an extra 50. I have sleep apnea and I believe it can be solved that way, which would make my life much better just by itself. I also want to feel good about myself again.
    That being said, I know rationally that I can do it and I know how... but I need to keep that belief alive, which is really tough! I even get the discouraging and totally irrational idea sometimes that maybe, just maybe, my body is different from every other animal and will not shed weight just by creating a calorie deficit. Lol. Because calories are invisible, and while I can feel hungry, I don't consciously process the fat cells.
    So, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to encouraging each other :) good luck everybody!

Hi @mithster Charles,

Welcome to LL.

They are irrational thoughts but we are human and carrying extra weight has an impact on our entire life and mental state. I would be lying if I didn't say that I thought I was different genetically or something and could not lose weight like other people in the past. Those odd notions still try to creep up even though I know for a fact they are bogus now. I have watched myself drop a lot of weight at 3500 calorie per pound. Again. We are human not robots.

We are here to encourage one another and to help keep those thoughts at bay. When we feel irrational for a moment we can hope that a number of other people are not and can help guide us back if we need it or just say that they understand. Sharing information about the true mechanics of weight loss helps too I think.
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    Greetings everyone,

I've been on/off MFP under different names over the years. I first joined a few years ago at 300 lbs, I had got down to 239. Got too wrapped up in the drama on the site,took a break and thought I could just do it alone. I slowly gained it all back. I joined again, strictly logging no friends, no forums and I wasn't consistent. So this last time in April, I found a balance between supportive friends and staying focused on the task at hand. The issue then being I was now 333 pounds and further away from my goal than I ever been. But I've been hacking away at it. I've lost 40 so far
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    DarkTwain wrote: »
    Greetings everyone,

I've been on/off MFP under different names over the years. I first joined a few years ago at 300 lbs, I had got down to 239. Got too wrapped up in the drama on the site,took a break and thought I could just do it alone. I slowly gained it all back. I joined again, strictly logging no friends, no forums and I wasn't consistent. So this last time in April, I found a balance between supportive friends and staying focused on the task at hand. The issue then being I was now 333 pounds and further away from my goal than I ever been. But I've been hacking away at it. I've lost 40 so far

This group is my first forum experience and so far has been nothing but positive. Goid luck in your journey 😋
  • brittanynicholex
    brittanynicholex Posts: 34 Member
    Hi, I'm Brittany!

Currently I am 27 years old, I weigh 322.2lbs as of this morning. I started at 334 in April and wasn't fully on board. After getting sick for two weeks straight (kidney infection followed right by strep), I got down to 327. I decided enough was enough and went to my doctor to see what he thought. He very obviously agreed that I needed to lose weight, and prescribed me phentermine. I didn't pick it up at first because I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, despite my mom pushing me to get it as she thinks its working for her. It also was like $45 or something like that which I just couldn't afford as I lost my job. Decided I'd just count my calories and blah blah blah.

Welllll I went back 4 weeks later to the doc. I had only lost 3 lbs in that time period and just barely. He gave me another script for phentermine again. Now I trust my doctor a lot. He discovered my best friends kidney cancer when she was a teen, when no one else would take her seriously. While talking with his medical assistant about how I hadn't been taking it mostly because it was so expensive she told me to use an app called GoodRx which made it easily affordable (seriously this app is pretty awesome for getting your meds, especially if you have to pay out of pocket for anything might want to check it out, no I'm not sponsored or paid to say that. I was just honestly amazed). Anyway, I filled the script and picked it up as it was now only like $13. Started taking it and I thought I was going to forever bounce between 324 and 327 which I had been doing for the last month, and I started losing again and its been steady, but slow because I suck and have 0 self control still. Just about 2 lbs since I started taking it about a week ago vs the .5ish a week I was doing on my own.

I have my good days, I have my bad days. Do I want to have to take something to help me fight the urge to eat and eat and eat? No, not really, especially because I know that I don't need it, I did this before without it, surely I can do it again. I really honestly blame my fiance for making me fat. I was losing when I had met him (started at 260ish, was down to 230ish). Guess being a good relationship really does make you fat (lol). He's also gained a lot since we got together, so we made each other fat. He's along for the ride with me, and losing faster than me (the jerk!). He's doing it in a way I think is a little unsustainable, but when he stops losing and starts gaining again, I'll be here to tell him he should have just listened to me in the first place (do men ever learn that?), and get him going in the right direction again. That's what we do.

We're getting married next June, and I'd honestly like to be down to at least the weight I was when I met him. Just wanna rock the *kitten* out of a cute wedding dress and be feeling myself on the big day.

Anyway, that's basically my journey so far. Feel free to send me a friend request,
  • NovusDies
    DarkTwain wrote: »
    Greetings everyone,

Hi @DarkTwain,

Good job on the 40!

I don't foresee any drama in this group but you never know. I think the advantage is that we are all headed to the same type of goal and we won't be dealing with the ridiculous internet weight loss schemes here. This is for practical people who just want results in a healthy manner.