Postpartum Weightloss - success story in progress

happysquidmuffin
happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
edited July 2019 in Success Stories
omrvylb9r1ew.jpeg
na6uhqyjq8r8.jpeg
zfz4lg1gqhuu.jpeg
fegpi1d7otzv.jpeg

First photo: 205 lb, 1 week before bebe. Gratuitous bebe photo. Then 3 weeks after, 181 lb. Lastly, 6 weeks postpartum (today), 176. That’s 29 lb down. Mini-goal: 165. Ultimate goal: less than 150. (Which, stupidly, is still overweight according to BMI. But like koalas in the rain, I don’t give a *kitten*. Bonus points if you get the zefrank reference.)
Hope the loss isn’t too aggresive, but it hasn’t hurt my breastfeeding so far.
I will continue to post updates for my own motivation. Yay.

Replies

• myfitnesspal04122014
    myfitnesspal04122014 Posts: 16 Member
    Great job! Can you share what all you have been doing? I am 3 months postpartum and have about 50 pounds to lose 🤘
  • myfitnesspal04122014
    And that it didn’t hurt your breastfeeding is what I am in love with 😍
  • happysquidmuffin
    Mostly I attribute it to slightly over-estimating my logged calories, and eating a flexitarian diet - which means mostly vegetarian and vegan meals, with meat on occasion. I usually eat between 1900-2300 calories per day, sometimes going over. My diet is far from ideal still... but I’ve just been a lot more intentional about what I eat. My diary is open if you’d like to check it out.
    I had a better reply written out, thought I’d posted it but it disappeared!
  • myfitnesspal04122014
    @ExistingFish Thank you for sharing! My son is 3.5 months old and I really want my breastfeeding journey to not be negatively impacted at all. I have not started logging/watching my food intake yet but I have started walking everyday from two weeks. Also some deadlifts (just to start making my rigid body flexible and to see how far I can go). I would like to lose 50 lbs to be at what I think would be ideal. Will keep sharing my progress here.
  • happysquidmuffin
    Yay thanks for sharing your perspectives. So to add a little more of mine, this is my 2nd baby. I have a 21 month old and a 6 week old. I gained 40 lb with this pregnancy, but was overweight to begin with. I think my weight was around 140-150 in college, but my weight kept creeping up, with temporary losses, over the past 10 years. I tend to want to snack a bunch in the evenings after dinner, so one of my strategies is to have eaten less than 1K calories by dinner time, and try to save 200 to 500 calories for after dinner. Today, so far so good.
  • EDTake2
    EDTake2 Posts: 165 Member
    Hi all, I am three months postpartum. Reading your stories is very encouraging. I have been trying to get back in shape, but am very worried that it will effect the milk quantity. I have gained 40 lbs during this pregnancy(my third) and want to lose them all. What I have noticed is that I feel hungry all the time, especially after breastfeeding. Did anyone experience this, and what did you do?
  • EmilyGray345
    EmilyGray345 Posts: 22 Member
    Hi! I’m 3 months and 7 days postpartum. I’m 5’2”
    I got to 201 lbs when I stepped on the scale right before giving birth.
    177 lbs when I got home with the baby
    I’ve made a diet plan with a nutritionist and am training with my husband. My husband is a former pro athlete.
    Now I’m 155 lbs. Not very happy with how slow this whole thing is going.
    Since I’m 5’2” ideal goal weight is 110 lbs.

• Easternsky4
    Easternsky4 Posts: 24 Member
    I’m two months postpartum and really struggling not to feel famished at the end of the day. I wasn’t really sure where to set my calorie goal so this helps.
  • Easternsky4
    Easternsky4 Posts: 24 Member
    EDTake2 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am three months postpartum. Reading your stories is very encouraging. I have been trying to get back in shape, but am very worried that it will effect the milk quantity. I have gained 40 lbs during this pregnancy(my third) and want to lose them all. What I have noticed is that I feel hungry all the time, especially after breastfeeding. Did anyone experience this, and what did you do?

This is what I am experiencing to. This is also my fifth child and I find it harder to lose the extra weigh this time :-/
  • happysquidmuffin
    edited July 2019
    I forgot to mention my height - I’m 5’3”. I try to have certain foods ready for when I get really hungry or just snacky. My husband makes a batch of rice on Sundays now, so I have that ready to add things to. One easy meal: 1/2 to 1 cup white rice, 1/3 or 2/3 cup frozen edamame, and 2 tbsp Panda Express red chili sauce. We’ll also steam a bunch of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots so that there’s leftovers. Mushrooms are way low in calories, so if you like them, sauté up a whole bunch in a small amount of butter or olive oil, with some roasted garlic boullion or minced garlic, and whatever seasonings you feel like. I just discovered oyster mushrooms and they are very tasty.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I’ve made a diet plan with a nutritionist and am training with my husband. My husband is a former pro athlete.

You've lost 22lbs in 7 days and you aren't happy? Am I reading this wrong? are you 7 weeks PP?

It is normal to drop the pregnancy weight quickly, but...
  • happysquidmuffin

You've lost 22lbs in 7 days and you aren't happy? Am I reading this wrong? are you 7 weeks PP?

EmilyGray345 would be about 14 weeks postpartum, not 7. I’d guess maybe 10 lb out of the 22 would be continued water/fluid loss in the first 4 weeks-ish, leaving 12 lb lost over the next 10 weeks. But yeah, with the timeline clarified, I wouldn’t be too discouraged - 12 lb in 10 weeks isn’t bad :)
    I agree with ExistingFish, if you are straight up hungry then just eat! You do need extra calories while breastfeeding, so don’t starve yourself. But I personally think it’s fine to make sure you continue to lose weight, while breastfeeding, as long as you’re still producing milk at desired levels for your baby (taking into account if you’re EBF or also supplementing with formula). And getting enough nutrition for your own body’s needs.

• EmilyGray345
    EmilyGray345 Posts: 22 Member

3month and 7 days.
  • bamarshall02
    bamarshall02 Posts: 13 Member
    What a cute baby. Keep up the great work! It's VERY difficult taking care of yourself and an infant. Been there twice.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

3month and 7 days.

*facepalm*

Need to pay more attention! Still, 22lbs in 3 months is over 7lbs a month. That is an outrageously fast loss rate and is frankly unsustainable for someone who is not extremely obese. Granted, women tend to lose a good amount during the first 3 months due to the body recovering from being pregnant, but it is still a very fast loss rate.

110lbs for a 5'2" person is a healthy weight and a fine goal, but it is also quite thin so as you get closer to that number it will become harder and harder. I'm 113lbs and 2" shorter than you, and it has taken a long time to get here from 125lbs. Like, a year.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!