Weighing In

Hi I was wondering what your weigh in habits are? Do you weigh in every week or once a month? For those of you watching the scale fluctuate make you weigh less frequently?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I weighed daily when I was losing weight, and I weigh daily now in maintenance. If scale fluctuations bother you, use a weight trend app like Happy Scale or Libra.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Every day, because understanding the causes and duration of my weight fluctuations is useful, and helps me take the weight-management process more calmly.

Also, I'm a data geek. ;)

I use a free weight trending app to help me visualize my longer-term weight trend underneath the "noise" of scale-weight fluctuations. I use Libra for Android, iOS users can get Happy Scale, and there's Trendweight and others. All of these use statistical analysis to try to estimate actual fat-loss progress. They can be misleading until you have a few weeks of data in the app, and it's important to realize it's just a type of estimate, not a crystal-ball "true weight". Still, it's helpful.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I weigh daily in the morning. I understand why fluctuations occur so don't freak out when they happen.

Weighing daily keeps me motivated and on track. It keeps me engaged in the process. It also allows me to see my trends on Libra.

Do what suits you best. ☺
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Every day and use Libra weight trending app to even out the fluctuations. Really helps me to get past the wobbley times.
  • troys1025
    troys1025 Posts: 3 Member
    Every mourning and make a chart
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2019
    Like some others here, I weigh in every morning. That weigh in lurks in my mind starting right after dinner the previous night and keeps me from snacking, because I want a good experience on the scale the next morning. I think the weigh-ins were why I started doing IF (zero calories from 7 pm to 11 am), which has been working well for me.

From doing a lot of weigh ins, I've developed a good understanding of the weight loss rhythm of my own body, so fluctuations don't bother me. I tend to flat line for 4-6 days after a group of weight loss days, and only after a flat line does the weight loss resume. So I kinda take these mini-plateaus in stride and see them as teeing up the next batch of lost pounds.

The most important thing to me is to get on the scale the morning after a day that hasn't gone as planned. For instance, like other imperfect beings, every so often I end up in a bar with some old friend, ordering chicken wings and fried onion rings and so forth. I've learned that if I force myself to get back on the scale the next morning, the damage is limited to whatever happened that night and I'm right back on the horse. If I don't get on the scale, I'm probably not going to do so the next day either, and then there's a high probability I'll be revisiting the whole thing in a year and starting all over from a higher weight. Once I started daily weigh ins no matter the circumstances, I have not had that problem. But sometimes it means looking at ugly numbers for 4-5 days until the water drains off.
  • maxiem7
    maxiem7 Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you all for your input!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,160 Member
    maxiem7 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your input!

Yup, doing it daily is valuable. I believe the reasons people give for not doing it daily are usually precisely the stuck areas where they need work.

Log daily, weigh daily, expand your mind, the possibilities are endless.
    ;) good luck.
  • mcsega
    mcsega Posts: 19 Member
    Every 6-7 days. I am dropping down from 220 to 175 eating 2200 calories a day. I am giving myself a year to accomplish the goal. I personally see no reason to weigh myself daily as I don't get extra motivation from it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Every day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Once a week and then log the average at the end of the month.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I weigh myself whenever I find myself in the bathroom in a suitable state of undress simply because I'm curious but that weight is never recorded and generally dismissed 5 seconds after I step off the scale.

I weigh in each morning and record that daily weight in my spreadsheet for processing and calculations. This weigh in is done in the same state and at the same point in my morning routine as a way of trying to minimise outside influences and factors.

Each Sunday I record a weekly weight in MFP. This weekly weight is derived from the calculations performed in my spreadsheet based on the daily weights I've recorded.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Three times a day at the start to understand my fluctuations during the day and now just once a day. I’ve learnt to stay away in time of stress or on the cycle though because it just makes me cry for a week or so
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I weigh more or less daily on Libra for trending/tracking and on MFP once a week (Saturday morning, nude, first thing after using the bathroom and before eating to get a consistent number).
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    everyday (when i am home to do so at my weigh-in time)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    It's probably overkill but it keeps me sane when trying to lose:

I weigh daily, track those in a trend app, AND I then enter the daily weights into a spreadsheet I made and look at weekly averages (rather than a single weigh-in for each week). The trend app I found a bit - temperamental, and find the weekly averages a better reflection of actual weight loss per week (especially if your weekly loss average is 1 pound or less).
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2019
    I too am not totally enamored of the trend apps, although I dutifully use Libra every day. I find it more informative to do a screen cap of MFP's 90 day weight graph, open it in Paint, and draw a red line from my weight 90 days ago to today. Then I can easily see any plateaus, bumps up or down, etc. slow down or speed up of weight loss, etc., because all of that shows up as the MFP line temporarily veering off from the red line. The problem I have with Libra's trendline is, either you set it for 7, 10, or 14 days trailing and get a trend that only accounts for your last week or two and therefore isn't really a "trend", or you set it for much longer and then the weight dots appear so far below the trend line as to be annoying.

An example from today, 30 day's data, 11.6 lbs change, the red line clearly shows the overall trend and highlights any bouncing around in the scale readings

wt06gksag40m.jpg