Macros!

Options
Hey y’all!! I am in need of some help concerning macros. I have calculated mine but need advice. If I am under Fat, Protein, or Carbs for the day, is it okay to stay under or do I need to meet my goals? I have built a fearful relationship with food and sadly, eating more scares me. Looking for any and all advice from you wonderful people!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I really focus on getting to my goal on protein. I tend to be over on fat every day and under on carbs.

After getting sufficient protein and fat, it really isn't that important.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/
  • gratefulforliving
    gratefulforliving Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the advice!! I am definitely trying to lose weight and I think focusing on Calories is probably the best idea. Thank you!! 😄
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I'd add that on the macro front, close on protein & fats is plenty good enough, especially if you're over some days and under others.

If you find yourself persistently quite low on some specific macro (or micro) day after day, and you'd like to improve it, I recommend the "gradual remodeling" approach: Look at your diary, and find foods that contribute relatively many calories, but don't help much with your macro goal(s) (and aren't super important to you personally for satiation or tastiness/happiness). Those are foods that are candidates to reduce or eliminate. Then, find some foods you enjoy eating that make a better contribution to your nutritional goals, for their calorie "cost", and eat a bit more of those things.

If you keep repeating that process (review diary and remodel eating), you'll gradually move your overall way of eating in a direction that better achieves your nutritional goals, but is still satisfying to you.

Most nutritional issues are not an urgent thing (unless diagnosed as a big problem, like by your doctor). It's fine to make gradual, manageable shifts in an improved direction: So much more practical, and less drama. ;)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Not really intended to add info because what you’ve been given already is perfect, but this just made me smile and it’s indicative of how relatively arbitrary worrying about hitting macros spot on is.

I’ve logged 3 things so far today - 2 cups of black coffee with no sugar and one fruit infusion tea bag. Grand total of 10 cals so far, but I looked at my macros and I can honestly say it’s the closest I’ve ever come to hitting all three on the nose!

I can guarantee by the time I’m done logging for the day they’ll not have stayed that way!