I'm so cheap I...

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I’m so cheap I refuse to pay more than two dollars tip on a 100 dollar meal when I go to the Olive Garden.

That’s pretty terrible; borderline insulting. I’d rather be left nothing than a 2% tip.

Assuming you’re located in the US, waitstaff have terribly low hourly rates and rely on tips to make a reasonable living. I would exercise your cheapness by not going out to eat at all, rather than saving $18 by not tipping the poorly-paid workers who wait on you.

I apologize if that offended you. I feel I made my sarcasm quite evident.

Oops, didn’t catch the sarcasm. Only would’ve been offended if the original comment was true.

There’s an ongoing joke about Olive Garden 😁
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Bought a $16 TV wall mount because i didn't want to pay $45.........so far so good (2 days in)
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    i'm so cheap i walk with strangers under their umbrellas when its raining.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    someone should make “i’m so lazy...” thread bc i feel i would have more to contribute there

I'd do well with that topic too.

And an "I'm so uneconomical" (or whatever the opposite of cheap is)...every time I see this thread I think about the fact that I just bought a new skin cream and it was 2/3's full (it's usually a full to the top) and I thought about returning it, and I was feeling ripped off, but I stuck my finger in it and used some and then was too lazy to bother to complain...so I'm $25 dollars out I figure if it was only 2/3's full.

So I guess I'm lazy and uneconomical.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I’m so cheap I refuse to pay more than two dollars tip on a 100 dollar meal when I go to the Olive Garden.

Speaking as a former server, you're not just cheap-- you are unjust. If you're ordering a $100 meal at ANY restaurant, you need to be tipping 15-20% (that's $15 - $20). If you want to tip just $2.00, then your meal should be in the $8 - 12 range. :-(
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Although I am not up with the joke and I dont live in a country where tipping is the norm - posters have clarified that the tipping at Olive Garden post was a joke. ;)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Although I am not up with the joke and I dont live in a country where tipping is the norm - posters have clarified that the tipping at Olive Garden post was a joke. ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're Aussie like me.. tipping is not the norm.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Me and my husband are both so cheap that we frequently stay in creepy motels. As long as the sheets and shower are okay, I consider it good. We consider $100+ to be "a nicer place", if that gives you any idea of how bargain basement I'm talking here...

Unless I'm traveling alone, then I spend a bit more to feel safer.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

Speaking as a former server, you're not just cheap-- you are unjust. If you're ordering a $100 meal at ANY restaurant, you need to be tipping 15-20% (that's $15 - $20). If you want to tip just $2.00, then your meal should be in the $8 - 12 range. :-(

WBb-Qy.gif
  • Motorsheen

I don't care where I am... the US, Europe... or even a foreign county like North Dakota, I always tip 20%.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I don't care where I am... the US, Europe... or even a foreign county like North Dakota, I always tip 20%.

20% for everything? Me too, for services I feel tips are appropriate. Hair, restaurants, nails etc. If the service sucks, 15%.
    One thing I'm unclear on tho, US vs Canada, do you tip in hotels? Here we usually don't, it's ok to, I know some people who do, but I don't. Maybe if I was staying somewhere for an extended time I would. Never sure what to do in the States.

And how about you, rest of the world besides NA?
    Tip or no tip? How much and for what services?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited July 2019

I'll leave before I make a tip joke :#

Muuuuust not 🤐
  • caco_ethes

You’ve been to my country??
  • Motorsheen
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Durgen.
  • Motorsheen

I'll leave before I make a tip joke :#

Muuuuust not 🤐

Some receive more than 20%.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Durgen.

My norsk heart just went pitterpat.

That’s a lie, vikings don’t feel things
  • paperpudding

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're Aussie like me.. tipping is not the norm.

Yes I am an Aussie like you.
  • paperpudding

What I do when I am in another country is find out first what the norm is there and follow that.