Salads? Walking and eating

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    tec9goo wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    What was wrong with the responses you got? Did you want different ones?

Yea a couple on the walking one

What kind of response did you want? Walking doesn't burn many calories. Maybe 200/hour if you do a 5 km/h pace. Go for a walk before or after you eat.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    yes and it is the degree and context of the issue that is concerning.

I dont think people trying to minimise it by " I like strolling along the beach eating an ice cream cone*, cant see the problem with eating and walking" are really helping.

* made up example to illustrate the point

Wasn't that like an actual example? :p

Look, I'm sorry for whatever part I played in this but I still maintain it's not a huge deal IF YOU'RE NOT ON THE VERGE OF AN EATING DISORDER.

People around here get very concerned, very easily, about that. I know because I've been on the other end of just because I made a comment about slowly going into maintenance.

Concern's obviously not a bad thing tho.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    I'm echoing the concern that there are some potentially disordered thought processes around food.

Eating two things of (plain?) lettuce to fill up before eating junk food is an all or nothing approach. Why not eat a nice salad with avocado, nuts, chicken, a tasty dressing, other veggies? I'll quite often have a mega salad dinner of in a huge mixing bowl and I love them. So many flavours and textures!

I have an exercise desk and sometimes I'll eat while slowly cycling, but I don't do it because I feel like I have to. It's the compulsiveness that's raising red flags to all of us.

If you have health insurance, it is worth investigating if you can do therapy, especially as the case could be made that the mental side could end up impacting your kidneys. You might be surprised.

I put siracha and mustard and shake it up. Pretty tasty imo
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It might be a little insulting to OP's in any thread on mfp to suggest they get to therapy.

Its really not up to mfp posters to give the first port of call for newcomers a diagnosis of eating disorder and ask them to seek psychiatric sessions for such.

Why would suggesting therapy be an insult? Many of us get stuck in thought pattern ruts and just dig ourselves deeper in when we try to get out on our own. There is nothing shameful about benefiting from therapy - I could make a case that pretty much everyone could benefit from a little therapy.

OP straight up asked if he is going to extremes, said he has a horrible addiction to step counting, and said he has a bad relationship with food. Combined with some of his other posts, I think suggesting that there is a damaging thought pattern there that needs to be fixed, which might be easier with some help, is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. And certainly not an insult.

Always looking for a great community I can talk to!!