I'm so cheap I...

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Won't spend more than $20 on a piece of clothing or shoes

(With the exception of work boots or the "Mother of the Bride" dress I once purchased for $65). 😋
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    2_cents wrote: »
    I’m so cheap I refuse to pay more than two dollars tip on a 100 dollar meal when I go to the Olive Garden.

Speaking as a former server, you're not just cheap-- you are unjust. If you're ordering a $100 meal at ANY restaurant, you need to be tipping 15-20% (that's $15 - $20). If you want to tip just $2.00, then your meal should be in the $8 - 12 range. :-(

I heartily disagree. The cheapskate employer you work for should be paying fair wages, not expecting the public to subsidize his/her business. Keep tipping $2 on $100 meals, Laprima.

I always like to bring up my caviar example when the subject of tipping comes up. Let's say I'm dying to finally see what caviar is about. I go to a restaurant and place the order, the waitstaff bring me out a little serving of it with crackers, and I'm billed $150. Do I tip the waitstaff $22.5 - $30 for popping open and shoveling a can of caviar onto a plate with crackers and bringing it to me, all of which might've taken less than 30 min?

Laprima doesnt actually do that - it was a joke.

as has already been explained.

• Xiao_Ya_
    Xiao_Ya_ Posts: 495 Member
    Use my middle school homework as a shopping list
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    i'm so cheap i dont even read the previous posts about tipping......to save data
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited July 2019
    I am so cheap I won’t pay attention.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member

How is that even possible?

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Shoplifting
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

(With the exception of work boots or the "Mother of the Bride" dress I once purchased for $65). 😋

I'm impressed! I do most of my shopping at thrift stores and places like TJ Maxx but still, I occasionally "splurge" on items that are more expensive. It's common for me to wear a $2.50 top with $79 jeans or a $5 dress and $200 boots.

I definitely agree though that certain items I won't spend much over $20 on...like tops, in general, I feel like most tops aren't worth more than that and I find a lot of $10-15 (clearance or secondhand) blouses, shirts, sweaters that look nice and hold up as well as expensive stuff.
  • Motorsheen
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Shoplifting

Natch.

The five finger discount really is the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    I never get the combo meal, just the sandwich. Stick it to the Man!

I also have this really fancy bottle of Cognac that looks like something the Pope would guzzle from and I fill it up with some Boone's Farm (or whatever cheap stuff I can find at Kroger's on a Saturday night). The type of women I date can't tell the difference, but they think I pulled out all the stops. (Shhhhhh.. :wink:)
  • Motorsheen
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I never get the combo meal, just the sandwich. Stick it to the Man!

I also have this really fancy bottle of Cognac that looks like something the Pope would guzzle from and I fill it up with some Boone's Farm (or whatever cheap stuff I can find at Kroger's on a Saturday night). The type of women I date can't tell the difference, but they think I pulled out all the stops. (Shhhhhh.. :wink:)

I once went to a neighborhood shop and bought a 15 dollar bottle of wine.
    I then convinced the clerk to put a small $300.00 price sticker on the bottom of the bottle.

On my date, I pretended that i didn't know it was there.

I can't tell the difference between cheap wine and the good stuff and I can't remember the last time I had any.

It's really not my thing, everytime that I drank 3 or 4 bottles of wine, I started acting a little silly.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm so cheap when it come to vacations that this year I'm going to sit in front of the computer well tooned into the live stream web cams on YouTube. Sturgis south Dakota.
  • kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    I'm so cheap when it come to vacations that this year I'm going to sit in front of the computer well tooned into the live stream web cams on YouTube. Sturgis south Dakota.
    You should definitely visit the live stream of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Particularly the Town Square. The arch is always hungry.
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    I'm so cheap that when I'm checking out online and see theres an area for a coupon code, I will drop everything to search for one
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    I cut satellite tv and bought a $20 tv antenna off Amazon. I did spring for Netflix AND Hulu though.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2019
    I cut satellite tv and bought a $20 tv antenna off Amazon. I did spring for Netflix AND Hulu though.

Not like it's a cheapness competition in here...but me and my husband have not had cable or satellite, and we don't even have an antenna for local channels, either. My ex husband always had cable for special sports channels and I have actually NEVER had it since our divorce, nor did I have it before meeting him.

I did a Netflix free trial once. I'd planned to keep it since $12 sounded cheap enough, but I was sick of watching after 3 weeks and now I watch with friends for maybe 2-3 shows per year.

We use Ting for our phones and primarily use wifi so the bill for 2 smartphones is like $32/month, MAYBE $40 if we're on vacation and use a lot more data.

We also get 99% of our books/movies from the library, cut our own hair, I do my own nails, etc. SOME of our frugality is (partly) environmentally motivated like using 1-2 rolls of paper towels per year, cloth napkins, stuff like that.

Some people in our lives (extended family) think we are financially struggling because of how cheap we are. They have been openly confused about our traveling and charity (not that we go around bragging, but if they learn of it). My car is 13 years old (purchased new) and in conversation, someone learned that I could afford a new car and they were shocked I won't replace it until it has major problems.
    It is embarrassing yet funny at times how cheap we both are. I will say, we tip well when it is warranted/socially expected and we are always willing to chip in for a good cause or to help friends!

• Motorsheen

Not like it's a cheapness competition in here...but me and my husband have not had cable or satellite, and we don't even have an antenna for local channels, either. My ex husband always had cable for special sports channels and I have actually NEVER had it since our divorce, nor did I have it before meeting him.

I did a Netflix free trial once. I'd planned to keep it since $12 sounded cheap enough, but I was sick of watching after 3 weeks and now I watch with friends for maybe 2-3 shows per year.

We use Ting for our phones and primarily use wifi so the bill for 2 smartphones is like $32/month, MAYBE $40 if we're on vacation and use a lot more data.

We also get 99% of our books/movies from the library, cut our own hair, I do my own nails, etc. SOME of our frugality is (partly) environmentally motivated like using 1-2 rolls of paper towels per year, cloth napkins, stuff like that.

Some people in our lives (extended family) think we are financially struggling because of how cheap we are. They have been openly confused about our traveling and charity (not that we go around bragging, but if they learn of it). My car is 13 years old (purchased new) and in conversation, someone learned that I could afford a new car and they were shocked I won't replace it until it has major problems.
    It is embarrassing yet funny at times how cheap we both are. I will say, we tip well when it is warranted/socially expected and we are always willing to chip in for a good cause or to help friends!

Re5pext.
  • Motorsheen

Same here.
    Satellite Television wasn't cheap and there is a lot available between netflix and Amazon prime.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    I carry a bunch of loose change in my pocket when I go get takeout. So if my meal is $6.28 I pay with a $5 bill and $1.28 worth of coinage. I know I'm not saving any money but it feels like I only paid $5 for the order. I'm so financial lol.