How much debt do you have including mortgage etc..

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Ketch_22 wrote: »
    Debt and credit scores are a racket. They don't mean anything. If I had to put a number on it though, like $348K

You know, the whole world is in debt anyway. Like, when you die...that debt...where does it go? Its just numbers then..bouncing around in a bubble of speculation.

Right? It's all in imaginary figures anyway. If all the databases went down tomorrow I wouldn't be in debt.

Actually, if you die and you plan to leave something to someone... ex life insurance they can't collect on the estate until the bills are paid.

wow this is really super not true
    life insurance is separate from the estate

without a Will yes you are correct, if you have a will and name that person then it is different

nah life insurance is separate from estate
    a will got nothing to do with it

getting off topic on this one. The point was to address what happens to your debt if you die. It doesn't get absorbed unless you died penny less and alone

idk idk idk like @JustReadTheInstructions student loan debt will die whenever she shuffle off this mortal coil even if she a millionaire scientist by then

yes true if it was a federal loan and/or if the estate didn't have the funds to cover if a private loan and they are not married in a community property state. So single federal loan... good to go. Question is.. why would someone with a million even have student loan payments?

Because they can pry my money from my cold, plastinated hands

And a $2500 write off on student loan interest is something even a millionare can appreciate ;)

Gotta play the game

.... and stick it to 'The Man'.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT
    LeGaCyGiAnT Posts: 66 Member
    Give or take $200,000.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    I have more in debt, then I do years on this earth. Though not by much.

I live with my parents, have a single car, and I live in the 3rd most expensive place in the continental USA. I don't even have a large enough nest-egg, to live on if I lost my job tomorrow. NY sucks folks, plain and simple.

What do you do? if I can ask that, oops I just read your answer. I too was in IT in NYC (lived in NJ). IT is def vague. A person could be a print room jockey and still be "in IT". NY is one of the highest paid for IT. NJ has even higher property tax than NY so I left. Retired at 30 and living the dream in Maryland ;) house prices on my street are 600k so theres that

Fair enough. I have 2 degrees with computer networking, and I currently work in a Network Operations Center.

I'm currently applying to IT related positions in TX, TN, Kentucky, Penn., VA, & NC. We'll see if I get any call backs...I'm guessing no. I'm trying to move away from helpdesk related positions, but if they pay 60k a year (or 33 an hour), I'm turning in an application. Helpdesk or no.

Best of luck on your search. Basic BS degree is really all that is necessary, hopefully you are getting your certs that's where your money comes in. Know your field; not sure how old you are or years in but 60k is entry level for sure. At that price you should be moving jobs every 2 years at most. Sadly, gone are the days of moving up within an org. Also gone are the pensions, and employer matched 401ks. My company had both luckily. Young people today need to invest to secure retirement. Without a plan... you plan to fail

Yea, I have like 3 401k's from previous jobs atm. And...like I said in a previous post, every time I try to make a plan, everything goes sideways. So I have no plan/scheme/idea. Just keep on going, and keep applying as needed.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Debt and credit scores are a racket. They don't mean anything. If I had to put a number on it though, like $348K

You know, the whole world is in debt anyway. Like, when you die...that debt...where does it go? Its just numbers then..bouncing around in a bubble of speculation.

Right? It's all in imaginary figures anyway. If all the databases went down tomorrow I wouldn't be in debt.

Actually, if you die and you plan to leave something to someone... ex life insurance they can't collect on the estate until the bills are paid.

without a Will yes you are correct, if you have a will and name that person then it is different

getting off topic on this one. The point was to address what happens to your debt if you die. It doesn't get absorbed unless you died penny less and alone

idk idk idk like @JustReadTheInstructions student loan debt will die whenever she shuffle off this mortal coil even if she a millionaire scientist by then

yes true if it was a federal loan and/or if the estate didn't have the funds to cover if a private loan and they are not married in a community property state. So single federal loan... good to go. Question is.. why would someone with a million even have student loan payments?

And a $2500 write off on student loan interest is something even a millionare can appreciate ;)

Gotta play the game

gotta get your hands dirty to live outside the box

hands aren't the only things that are getting dirty....
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

Gotta play the game

gotta get your hands dirty to live outside the box

hands aren't the only things that are getting dirty....

Why you sharing my side hustle secrets?
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    I always joke my retirement party and my funeral will be the same day. Looking into Dave Ramsey.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

excep tunless the law has changed - you can't write off interest from Student Loans unless your income is below 80k...says the poor schmuck who paid $18k in student loans last year and couldn't claim any interest
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I don't know that I want to work this out lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Unless you are one of the idiots that names your estate as a life insurance beneficiary.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    slessofme wrote: »

Actually, if you die and you plan to leave something to someone... ex life insurance they can't collect on the estate until the bills are paid. On a side note... if you leave no one anything then debts are absorbed and if you have no life insurance you will be buried. They don't just leave you in the street ;)

Just throw me in the trash

Nah, I'mma stuff you and put you in my museum.

That's actually a thing you can do. It's called plastination.

This is very interesting to see on display. I've been to a few exhibits.

This shouldn't creep me out because it's really just a shell of our existence but this creeped me out to think there's dead people on display somewhere.

Now I'd want to know if there is a fee charged to view these exhibits, and if the estates of the dead folk receive a portion of that, like royalties....
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

Unless you are one of the idiots that names your estate as a life insurance beneficiary.

Ah. I had to do that (mandatory employer life insurance) since I have no beneficiaries.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member

Actually, if you die and you plan to leave something to someone... ex life insurance they can't collect on the estate until the bills are paid. On a side note... if you leave no one anything then debts are absorbed and if you have no life insurance you will be buried. They don't just leave you in the street ;)

This shouldn't creep me out because it's really just a shell of our existence but this creeped me out to think there's dead people on display somewhere.

The way they are displayed makes it easy to conceptualize them as an art exhibit or like a medical grade anatomy model. If you're up for it, google bodyworlds.
    ythannah wrote: »

Now I'd want to know if there is a fee charged to view these exhibits, and if the estates of the dead folk receive a portion of that, like royalties....

If I remember correctly, donation is arranged by the individual prior to death. Basically like donating your body to science. There is a fee to enter the exhibit.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member

Body World in Amsterdam is one of them. I'm both highly creeped out and also very intrigued, because I just finished up two semesters of Anatomy & Physiology. I haven't quite decided if I'm going to brave the place while I'm on vacation later this year.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Body World in Amsterdam is one of them. I'm both highly creeped out and also very intrigued, because I just finished up two semesters of Anatomy & Physiology. I haven't quite decided if I'm going to brave the place while I'm on vacation later this year.

Go. It's not nearly as bad of as what you might see in a lab or morgue. Actually, most of it is barely recognizable as a body.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    What is your credit score?

Good enough for Olive Garden.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Just bought a new house so around 170k of debt. Paid some of my home with cash but had to get a mortgage for the rest!
    My monthly spending varies.
    Usually about 100 in gas
    500-600 in groceries
    200 for electric
    300 for tv and internet
    100-200 for water and sewage
    40 every 3 months for trash.
    About 200 in formula for my LO.
    50-200 in diapers
    And about 100-200 in prescription medication.
    Mortgage is 1300 a month.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    I normally don’t use credit cards or any of that of the sort.
    I live extremely comfortably. Like said above will I retire at a good age? Probably not because retirement probably won’t cover all the bills but we’ll see when I get there!
  • Motorsheen

Good enough for Olive Garden.

@RunHardBeStrong

..... nothing else really matters, does it?