What and when do you eat before a swim?

Murrayzaida
Murrayzaida Posts: 12 Member
I swim about 2.5km (1.5 miles) in an hour. I like to eat a bowl of oats (1/2 cup oats) 30-45min before a swim, but this seems either to be too heavy or too close to my swim time.

I know this is a very individual thing, but would be interested to hear what you all have found to work well for you.

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    I swim at about 7am-8am and do not eat before at all. I drink water sometimes during but then have breakfast at work after.
    I really don't like doing any exercise after food. Even after a few hours I don't feel great if I start working out
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Hmm, I swim or lift after work (4:15ish-5:30 for laps, 5:35-6:30 a vigorous deep water cardio class). By 3:00pm, I need something to eat or I'll just run out of juice. I used to have a Luna bar (seemed like candy, but it worked). I have lately replaced that with some berries and greek yoghurt, which works just as well. There are days when I will have a cup of coffee with that if I'm tired or I know that it's going to be a long swim.

When I workout in the morning (running), I run fasted. Maybe a cup of coffee, but I generally don't need food.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Just a scoop of protein powder in water.
    And 3 scoops of Aminoenergy.
    If I am planning longer than a 5 mile(8km) swim i add EFS to my water.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Banana and coffee with sugar
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Oatmeal about an hour before since I usually swim first thing in the morning. If I swim later in the day, I might have an extra banana or apple in addition to my normal eating schedule.
  • Murrayzaida
    Murrayzaida Posts: 12 Member
    Update: I found that eating my oats 1 hour before I hit the water does the trick. Previously my timing (30-45min) was just a bit too close to the swim.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Awesome! It's great to figure out what works. It makes the workout so much better!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    I do intermittent fasting so always train fasted even if I don't swim until mid afternoon. The only time I will eat before swimming is for a big competition and that usually oats with protein powder a couple of hours earlier, then a few jellybeans during the meet.
  • Bruceapple
    banana
  • Bruceapple
    and coffee
  • Linda_Jaques
    Linda_Jaques Posts: 13 Member
    I try not to eat before I swim. In the morning I would eat breakfast after swimming. If I swim in the evening I try to have my dinner afterwards. But sometimes it can be too late and so I have a light meal 2 hours before a swim and another light snack after my swim. It affects my performance if I swim straight after eating and I feel lethargic and heavy!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I can't eat ANYTHING for about 2 hours before I swim or I end up urping and tasting my own digestive juices for my entire workout.

I try to have a good sustaining protein-rich meal 3-4 hours before I swim. Today I'll have a big breakfast and swim before lunch; most often I have a good protein fix at lunch and then swim after work before dinner.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    I used to eat 1/4 cup of oatmeal 2 hours before, with a bit of milk kefir, almond milk, a few mixed nuts, nutritional yeast and a bit of jam on top. However, I've since changed it to a protein shake (in one cup of almond milk) and that seems to last me just fine for 1-2 hours. I swim in the mornings so am not too hungry anyway when I go.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    I swim about 2.5km (1.5 miles) in an hour. I like to eat a bowl of oats (1/2 cup oats) 30-45min before a swim, but this seems either to be too heavy or too close to my swim time.

I know this is a very individual thing, but would be interested to hear what you all have found to work well for you.

Hey there! We swim similar times and distances 👍
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    I usually swim in an empty stomach!