Advice / Guidance

Tom1997B
Tom1997B Posts: 10 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
Hi All,

I wasn’t going to make a new post for this but thought it could help others overall etc.

So with myself personally, I’m not sure where to start exactly - I know everyone is different with weight loss but where is a good place to start?

Is there anything that anyone has followed and it’s worked well for them personally (e.g. low fat and high protein)

Again, just an idea to put this discussion board up. Hopefully it will be of some use, not just to myself but other people

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I'm just starting as well, and I am making small adjustments. Getting rid of pepsi was the first. Replacing it with water, and/or veggies. I eat more small meals during the day. I work straight days, and have a 3 year old at home, so I work out before work. I did add more protein to my diet. I say if you don't know where to start, then start small. Replace one bad thing you like to eat or drink with one healthy thing, and get moving. Not necessarily the gym, but walk around the block for starters.
    Be patient until others read this. You will get valuable knowledge from some of these people!

+1
  • NovusDies
    @dhiammarath

Did I mention I was happy to have you here? I was wrong. I am ecstatic to have you and your experience here with us.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I agree with the themes of non-restrictive eating (I.e. nothing is forbidden) and getting serious about tracking energy input a.k.a calories. I never really paid attention to how much I was eating, but once I started keeping track it became easy to stay within my calorie goals while still eating things I like. knowing how much energy you'll get out of different food types is super helpful!

also, definitely don't beat yourself up over small things. life's way too short.

also, also! if you decide to add movement/exercise, definitely do things you like! I go for long walks, sometimes during lunch breaks, and I recently rediscovered my love of biking. and since these are things I look forward to, that are easy to work into my daily routine (gotta get to work somehow!), they don't feel like a burden.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2019
    ..."I like to gamify my experience. So for me, I mark milestones in "bosses" or "dragons" to defeat. I've conquered my dragonpants (the smallest pants I'd worn before I'd regained the 20lbs). I've conquered mental dragons and dress dragons and other "bosses", gaining more experience along the way. This makes it "fun" for me."

I must say...that is one of the COOLEST ideas I have ever heard of in ways to acknowledge your milestones! I may just have to borrow that idea and see what I can come up with!

I just hit my 60 lbs lost milestone this weekend, and I'm so thrilled that I could shout it from the rooftops! I've "dieted" for years and only ever lost at most 20-30 pounds before I gave up for whatever reason got to me at the time. So the idea of having something fun like that to look forward to brings another fun factor into it! Thank you!
  • Angelpebbles
    Angelpebbles Posts: 12 Member
    I was suggested this group earlier today. I posted a question in regards to suggested nutrition. I see the Registered Dietician in December. I have 133 pounds to lose and have been known to crash diet and over exercise. I am trying to be smarter. I have learned that there is no quick cheat. I have lost the same 50 pounds at least 6 or 7 times (each time it returns, it brings friends). I am done with ruining my metabolism! Since July 13th, 2019 I have been eating healthier and lighter food choices.

I love this topic, thank you for the discussion
  • NovusDies
    I was suggested this group earlier today. I posted a question in regards to suggested nutrition. I see the Registered Dietician in December. I have 133 pounds to lose and have been known to crash diet and over exercise. I am trying to be smarter. I have learned that there is no quick cheat. I have lost the same 50 pounds at least 6 or 7 times (each time it returns, it brings friends). I am done with ruining my metabolism! Since July 13th, 2019 I have been eating healthier and lighter food choices.

I love this topic, thank you for the discussion

Hi @Angelpebbles,

I am glad you decided to join. Jump into any discussion. We are a newish group but we have covered a lot of material so far.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @Angelpebbles welcome to LL! Out of curiosity, may I ask what was your question you posted regarding suggested nutrition? I find my RD a very good resource.
  • Angelpebbles
    Angelpebbles Posts: 12 Member
    Yes, of course you can ask. That might have been helpful, if I had supplied it in the beginning :)

Good Morning, I have been a My Fitness Pal member for a while and have appreciated the knowledge that this community has in helping questions find answers. That being said, does anyone know of a good resource for Nutrition? I have an appointment scheduled with a registered dietician on December 20th, 2019 (earliest appointment available). So far away.

I am hoping to better understand what the (my) body needs to get healthier, lose weight, fat and gain lean muscle. I am Female 47 yrs. old, 5'11" tall, large boned weighing in 299 lbs. & I have 133 lbs. to lose. My job as is somewhat active. I don't want to lose it by staving myself with bare minimum calories and 6+ hours a day physical training (Cardio and weight training). I unfortunately, have done that before. I got the quick results, however, that realistically was not sustainable (been there, done that lost 65 lbs.. got sick, my hair began to thin out, began to get clumsy, I couldn’t got injured and felt like a weak noodle.) All 65 lbs. came back with friends and my metabolism seemed to be slower after the abuse I put it through. I knew better, but I just wanted the quick fix to see quicker results. Of course, I didn't see my Physician when all this happened. I knew he would have told me that “You are not losing weight correctly, you’re not even taking a multivitamin.” I learned my lesson. I would like to say that I am smarter and will not make the same mistakes. I learned from my mistake and poor judgements. I want to succeed in my journey to get healthier and I want to do it right the right way.

I know real food is better than chemically created processed food. I've been trying to wean myself off of the "Meal Replacement Shakes". I don't see any danger in them, except my relying on them too much. Thanks, so much for your time. I know this was quite wordy………. That is why I seeking nutrition advice…. I tend to overthink and be unrealistic

Thank you:)

• hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @Angelpebbles Thank you for sharing about yourself and your goals. Many of things you mentioned sound like just what this group is trying to address, reasonable, sustainable weight loss.

I got ya by a decade, I'm 57, and now have 100 pounds to lose (was 126 pounds, but the scale is going down!). My RD has helped me understand that it is always about CICO (calories in calories out) for weight loss. I've got to burn more calories than what I eat. Deceptively simple.

Anyhow, welcome to the group, as @NovusDies says, ask questions and join in conversations :smiley: I like to say do what seems reasonable and keep showing up!
  • tiffany80802017
    tiffany80802017 Posts: 92 Member
    Thanks for setting up this group and those that posted! I definitely found myself relating a lot to your comments.

I have been obese almost 20 years, about 13 years ago I lost 100 pounds and then gained it back plus about another 50. The first time, I lost 100 lbs quickly due to exercising multiple times a day, biking everywhere and eating a vegan diet with very little fat and only a small amount of protein (not intentionally eating low protein) ... that’s not feasible for me any more and I’m trying to do it in a healthier and realistic way. My kcal now have a healthy balance 45-50% carbs, 20-25% fat, and 25-30% protein. I need to around 50% carbs most days for metabolic reasons-so keto isn’t an option for me.

I’m trying to lose the 150 lbs and am down about 35, but feel like I’m plateauing. I’ve been the same weight for about 3 weeks even though about a month ago I increased my cardio to about 60-90 minutes versus 30-45 on average, and do weight lifting 1-2x per week with a trainer, and am still logging all kcal.

I did anticipate some slowness in weight loss due to weights, since it had been 20 years since I lifted, but am surprised it’s still so slow after about 6 months.

I definitely understand the concept someone else mentioned, kcal in/kcal out. But when I calculate my BMR, kcal, and exercise kcal it does not come close to the weight I’m losing (or not losing).

Has anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions you’d be willing to share?

Thanks much!
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Thanks for setting up this group and those that posted! I definitely found myself relating a lot to your comments.

I have been obese almost 20 years, about 13 years ago I lost 100 pounds and then gained it back plus about another 50. The first time, I lost 100 lbs quickly due to exercising multiple times a day, biking everywhere and eating a vegan diet with very little fat and only a small amount of protein (not intentionally eating low protein) ... that’s not feasible for me any more and I’m trying to do it in a healthier and realistic way. My kcal now have a healthy balance 45-50% carbs, 20-25% fat, and 25-30% protein. I need to around 50% carbs most days for metabolic reasons-so keto isn’t an option for me.

I’m trying to lose the 150 lbs and am down about 35, but feel like I’m plateauing. I’ve been the same weight for about 3 weeks even though about a month ago I increased my cardio to about 60-90 minutes versus 30-45 on average, and do weight lifting 1-2x per week with a trainer, and am still logging all kcal.

I did anticipate some slowness in weight loss due to weights, since it had been 20 years since I lifted, but am surprised it’s still so slow after about 6 months.

I definitely understand the concept someone else mentioned, kcal in/kcal out. But when I calculate my BMR, kcal, and exercise kcal it does not come close to the weight I’m losing (or not losing).

Has anyone had a similar experience or any suggestions you’d be willing to share?

Thanks much!

I'm tracking CICO as well. My numbers don't always seem to add up either. I think I should be losing more than the scale says, so I'm chalking it up to adding muscle. As long as the scale continues to drop, my clothes get bigger, and my measurements decrease, I don't worry about the numbers being spot on.