Sushi?

I really want some sushi. Are the rolls healthy with the sticky rice? Would it be worth it?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    What do you mean by "healthy"?

Low cal? Or is there a specific health concern you are thinking about?

Regardless, I think whether or not it's worth it depends on how much you like sushi :smile: I can take it or leave it, so I'd prefer to spend calories on something else!
  • Wildchildx1289
    Wildchildx1289 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you. My diet constrains serving sizes as well as a limited calorie intake. I have 4 servings of grains to work with each day and I try to manipulate them as best as I can.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I love sushi. I usually go for nigiri instead of rolls, which avoids the sauces and fried ingredients. Even better is sashimi, since the fish isn't paired with the rice balls.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Only you can decide if think the rolls meet your definition of healthy. Similarly, you are the only one who can decide if fitting it into your calories is "worth it". I personally don't like seafood very much and refuse to eat sushi, so it wouldn't be worth it to me. Foods that I do enjoy and I can fit into my calories for the day are worth it to me.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    I love nigiri and I also love just the sashimi (just the fish-no rice). Super good for you (the fish part). Some rolls aren't that bad either. Rock and roll (unagi/eel, avocado and cucumber), california roll (crab, cucumber and avocado), spicy tuna roll and the list goes on-none of those have the "yum" sauce (BS American invention...what is anything mayo-based doing on sushi...I digress).
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2019
    It really depends on the restaurant in terms of portions of rice you get, imo. For some rolls, it's actually not that much rice, so you wouldn't be consuming much, but I've seen some that are basically half rice.

Either way, generally the calorie bombs are going to be the ones that have fried items, like tempura, in the roll, or are covered in sauces or crispy things.

• anhy
    anhy Posts: 3 Member
    If it fits your deficit and macros, you should get it! As for healthy, sashimi is your best bet. Unfortunately the sushi rice has a ton of sugar mixed in. I followed a recipe at home, and it was almost a 1 to 1 ratio between cups of white rice and cups of white sugar (plus vinegar). After making that, it made me rethink my sushi cravings, and now I have it as a splurge instead of a healthy option.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. <3
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    If you want to reduce sugar, have sashimi on a bowl of rice. Sushi rice is prepared with quite a lot of sugar as well as vinegar. In my classic Japanese cookbook by Shizuo Tsuji you actually have to boil the sugar in the vinegar because otherwise you can't dissolve the required quantity of sugar in room temperature vinegar.
  • Wildchildx1289
    Wildchildx1289 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you for your help guys. :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I just looked up a couple of nutritional menus from chain sushi restaurants in the US, and their sushi has little to no sugar in it. So it doesn't seem like a common way for restaurants to make sushi rice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Well, now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Sushi is great, and surprisingly low calorie. I was so happy when I discovered that out. I eat sashimi mostly.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited July 2019
    I really want some sushi. Are the rolls healthy with the sticky rice? Would it be worth it?

Love sushi. Was eating it b4 it became trendy and could buy it at the supermarket.

Not sure what you're getting at. ALL sushi is made w/sticky rice. So, if that is a concern, you can skip the rice by eating sashimi instead.

As for "healthy," the sauce slathered rolls are the most calorie ridden and least "healthy" sushi that you can eat.

The most "healthy" would be plain sushi w/a piece of seafood on top of some rice or just sashimi w/o the rice just oure protein onega3 fatty acids and many a,few worms.

LOL! ;)
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I always think sushi is worth it LOL. But, I don't get it at restaurants too often anymore. When I do, I get 3 rolls and let myself have the shrimp tempura and usually a special roll with avocado and spicy mayo and all kinds of other yummy stuff. Those calories add up so quick.

My solution is going to Kroger. I get the california roll at their sushi station, and the whole package is ~340 calories. I usually make sure I have at least 400 set aside though just in case.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    While losing my 95 lbs, I would fit sushi-like dinners in pretty often. (I say sushi-like because I never got real sushi with actual fish 😂). My main order would be a plain avocado roll (190 calories), a sweet potato tempura roll (around 270 depending on the restaurant) and a tablespoon of spicy mayo (90-100 calories). About 550-600 calories for the dinner, and I found it very satisfying. It fit within my calorie goals and didn’t hurt my macros either, as I fit in my protein during other meals.

Find the rolls you like, log honestly, and make it fit into your daily or weekly calories.
  • grebber1
    grebber1 Posts: 216 Member
    I eat sushi like it's going out of style. I still lose weight. If I'm going to binge on something it's gonna be sushi. And I'm talking the big rolls here.and like 6 at a serving.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited July 2019
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I just looked up a couple of nutritional menus from chain sushi restaurants in the US, and their sushi has little to no sugar in it. So it doesn't seem like a common way for restaurants to make sushi rice.

Ya, I've had sushi in many states in the US and none had discernibly added sugar in the rice.

There's a new Thai restaurant near my mom and the cook uses discernibly extra sugar in the Pad Thai, so it is something I notice.