How I can work our whilst recovering from knee surgery?

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions for how I could increase my calorie burn whilst not being able to do much with my lower body.

I’m recovering from knee surgery at the moment and I also have bad piriformis pain both sides, so it’s very difficult to do much in the way of working out like I used to.

I wondered if there was anything I could do upper body wise in the mean time, to get a little further ahead with calorie burn etc?

Ideas appreociated!

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Work with your physical therapist on this one but I wouldn't rely on anything to increase the amount of calories burned. Additionally, I would actually go on maintenance with the goal of getting enough nutrients to allow your body to heal. There's also the whole needing rest to heal.

I say this as someone who has had four major knee surgeries, of the "we want to try to make sure you don't need a knee replacement" type that all had very lengthy recovery times.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Sure, you can do upper body. Due to your surgery, don't you already have a referral to a physical therapist? If not, I'm sure you can get one.
  • beauteeousness_365
    beauteeousness_365 Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2019
    I just had a partial knee replacement in March and the worse part for me was the intense physical therapy 3 days after my surgery. I just stuck with my physical therapist showed me until he and I both felt like I could do more. I stared moving to different exercises but always starting slow and asking him if they were alright. Right now the stiffness I think is the worse for me.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited July 2019
    Ditto on the advice of working with your PT. My comments are based on rehab experience about 20 years ago after ACL reconstructive surgery.

Using the recumbent bike is great because it’s range of motion friendly. Your focus should be on getting your normal gait back along with range of motion. If you take these seriously and train, you’ll be back on your normal fitness training pony sooner and possibly in better shape than before the surgery. This was my experience.

Good luck.