Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,354 Member
    Congrats @NewLIFEstyle4ME Bet you're feeling so good!!
  • promisesstandin
    promisesstandin Posts: 150 Member
    How do I find this place again? The topics on MFP rotate and I don't know how to come back and find you. I'm liking the encouragement to each other I see here. Go folks! We're doing great things!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME 76lbs is phenomenal! You look that and more! Congrats my friend!

Girlfriend!!!!! You sure know how to make a person feel like a million bucks TAX FREE! I love that you saud "you look that ans more--that's tremendous honey, THANK YOU my friend!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    @promisesstandin ..click the star on top right by the title & then later click the star far top & it will show you all the ones you have saved. (Starred) hope this helps!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    ricomincia wrote: »
    I read a book called Goodbye, Things: On Minimalist Living by Fumio Sasaki late last year and it changed my whole perspective on life. Since then I have been ruthlessly going through things and moving them on - either to charity or selling them. Feels liberating.

Think sometimes we hold on to objects for sentimental reasons - because there is a moment associated with them and a view that the thing will keep the memory alive. You'll never loose that memory and just take a picture of it to bring trigger that memory again if you feel you need it!

Other thing I've been watching on Netflix earlier in the year is Marie Kondo's series on de-cluttering - which is also great and I've learnt a whole new way of organising my world to make it a much better place to live! :)

The combination of these two have been something of a revelation....

I've haven't heard of this book, will have to check it out. Living minimally does something inside and outside of you. I guess just like hoarding or living in excess all the time will/does too. I love the way you said you'd become "ruthless" letting go and not looking back at all your "stuff". I did the EXACT thing when I began this wonderful adventure (and I find it's a ongoing deal/like maintenance in weight blastification). I LOVE being "ruthless" in getting rid of excess and messy stuff(and thinking too)--it's the only way to "fly" with me concerning decluttering, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited July 2019
    I haven't read all this thread but the beginning is good. Has anyone mentioned FlyLady? = Finally Loving Yourself. Look it up, nice website and encouraging. All the best to everyone. Moving and have lots to let go of - kids all out, downsizing to a very small place,... have lost 100lbs in less than a year... need to lose lots of pounds of junk!

I've known about "FLYLady for years, but never knew the "FLY" meant Finally Loving Yourself...how cool! For you to have permanently blasting 100lbs AND in less than a year is the stuff CHAMPIONS are made of. You ROCK, period. Let me tell ya, getting rid of and not looking back a "lots of pounds of junk" is going to help, encourage, and bless your life just as much if not more than the weight loss. WOW! Thank you ever so much for posting--your contribution to this thread is absolutely fantastic--again YAY YOU, you superstar YOU! Boom!
    o:)<3o:)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    ricomincia wrote: »
    I read a book called Goodbye, Things: On Minimalist Living by Fumio Sasaki late last year and it changed my whole perspective on life. Since then I have been ruthlessly going through things and moving them on - either to charity or selling them. Feels liberating.

Think sometimes we hold on to objects for sentimental reasons - because there is a moment associated with them and a view that the thing will keep the memory alive. You'll never loose that memory and just take a picture of it to bring trigger that memory again if you feel you need it!

Other thing I've been watching on Netflix earlier in the year is Marie Kondo's series on de-cluttering - which is also great and I've learnt a whole new way of organising my world to make it a much better place to live! :)

The combination of these two have been something of a revelation....

Thanks for the book suggestion! I'll have to check it out!
    My mom once said that when her parents died of old age, there was a houseful of things left behind. She has always had a minimalist mentality. She told me that everything in the house was sentimental, since they were her loving parents. But all she kept in memory of them were their reading glasses and a handkerchief. She could have lugged everything to her house but you are right the memories will always be in the mind. The things we leave behind are just things.

I love Marie Kondo's show as well.
  • RubyRed427
    I just watched a video about the book. @ricomincia
    I liked hearing was it was written by a young man's perspective. I also liked the idea of adopting a "uniform"; don't have too many clothes but wear and buy only what truly suits you and you feel good in. The writer of the book has about ten pieces of clothing hanging in his closet.

https://youtu.be/BUJB_zwD2SM

I'll have to buy the book to get some more inspiration.
    One memory this review jogged was when I was moving classrooms; my dad was helping me. He said that I have way too many children's books and that is overwhelming for kids. So, I pared down my books by a third based on his wise comment. Same goes with toys. A child will get overwhelmed if they have a room with all kinds of toys instead of just a few toys in sight.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I like the idea of donating things that we don't longer need, want or overwhelm our household. I would do it in a heart bit. But how do you deal with your spouse's feelings and wishes?
  • RubyRed427
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I like the idea of donating things that we don't longer need, want or overwhelm our household. I would do it in a heart bit. But how do you deal with your spouse's feelings and wishes?

That's a tough one!! He will have to meet you in the middle; donate just a few things with him and he'll probably slowly come to the realization, I don't need all this STUFF. I know that of all the things I've donated, I barely now remember what they were.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member

I started with my things only. I'm not anywhere near done, but my hubby has started going through his things. Its random, but progress.
  • snoo61
    Hi friends, got home last night to a clean house! Hubby cleaned, mopped, and even shampooed carpets. It was a wonderful feeling!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Awesome @snoo61! Great hubby you have there, enjoy him and the clean house. :)
  • snoo61
    Awesome @snoo61! Great hubby you have there, enjoy him and the clean house. :)

He's definitely a keeper! :smiley:
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,354 Member

Positive encouragement and look for the keys that make letting go of things easier for your spouse. (I am the spouse with the difficulty letting go/my dh would with great glee chuck the majority of what's here. But that's why I read this board - it's POSITIVE & encouraging /lectures simply make me resent it all & not want to let go. And I can hand over things to my kids who do pass it on if not needed. And if it's going to a good cause, I can give to that. Saw a video on Swedish death cleaning which made sense; so am trying. Also, if there's a reason why something isn't needed anymore, that helps. Putting stuff on freecycle so it goes to a new home as well.)
  • snoo61
    The computer room is next! I just keep seeing things that need to be gone through. I started photo albums, threw 1 out. But I really just need to start in one corner and go through the whole thing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!