How often do you guys cook?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I cook for myself, 2 meals per day usually, and for my wife, 2 or 3 separate meals per day usually. I'm retired, so it gives me something to do.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Hot home cooked meals three times a day, except if I just have yogurt and fruit for breakfast. We prep fresh vegrtables and eat fresh fruit for snacks, or nuts. I'm retired, so that helps a lot. We shop two or three times weekly. It became a priority for me about 30 years ago, so I think I can say I'm used to it. Meals are rather simpler now than they used to be, as in fewer added extras, just basic spices and small amounts of oil on veg or salad. I try to vary the vegetables and protien parts of the meals.

It's the same for my household of two, although we are not retired, my husband is the main cook and he works from home. Cooking from scratch is just our routine. We shop on Sundays and rarely need fill in items unless it's something minor from the natural food store by our house like tofu or bok choy.

Most days we eat hot home cooked breakfast, but there are many days it's something easier and cold or something I made the night before like fridge oats or blended chia pudding.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited July 2019
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I cook everyday. I don't go to the grocery store everyday...that's where planning comes in. Plan your meals on the weekend and go shopping. It's easy.

I do not have time for that...not at all. But...it's easy...for YOU...so...good for you.

I would hate to have every nanosecond of my life filled to capacity. I feel sad for you. 😢

Do you want a hug? I have time.
  • Nottaway1
    Nottaway1 Posts: 26 Member
    We cook/grill on Sunday and Wednesday.... 2 London Broils and 5-7 lbs of chicken. Lunch and dinner are 6-8oz each, just make a salad, sweet potato or green bean. Quick.... Breakfast is 6 eggs and oats.... I keep it very simple
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Depends what you mean by "cook."

I grill steaks, chops and fish as needed but I precook a lot of my food in bulk in advance which I reheat as leftovers in the micro or stovetop as needed until it's used up in a wk or 2.

Things that I would precook include but are not limited to hard boiled eggs, corned beef or pot roast, whole chicken and a variety of soups.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Most of my cooking is done on Sunday. I do most of my meal planning/grocery shopping Sunday morning, and then when I get home from that usually I'll cook/prep whatever we're doing for lunches for that week. Most dinners we do last for 2-3 nights depending (but there's also only two of us), so for dinners I'm usually cooking every other night.
  • kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I precook a lot of my food in bulk in advance which I reheat as leftovers
    I do the same, most of the time. Although, I will cook something fresh as sometimes I don't fancy reheating yesterday's chilli or whatever. Rarely eat the same thing two days in-a-row, but have a couple of different meal types frozen in takeaway containers (I saved them from before when I was takeaway monster and run them through the dishwasher, reusing regularly).

My little freezer always has between 6 and 9 tubs, ready to go.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    We go food shopping every two weeks; sometimes more often. I don't have a meal plan for the week, just whatever I feel like making.

My husband cooks breakfast every day, and I cook lunch and dinner every day too, but my cooking is very simple. Mostly protein and veggies for dinner, and salads or frittatas for lunch. I don't do much meal pre; maybe chili and soups once a month.

I don't like cooking but I don't like to eat out all the time either. We usually eat out two or three times a week.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    It's either the George Foreman grill or microwave. I don't cook at all.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I cook everyday. I don't go to the grocery store everyday...that's where planning comes in. Plan your meals on the weekend and go shopping. It's easy.

Yep. This.

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I meal prep for the week days on Sunday. Pretty much cooking enough food for every meal for Monday through Friday. It's not that difficult if you don't mind eating the same thing every day. Have a look at this video https://youtu.be/ya_uIbpH0Zc for an example.

The weekends are a little more free form, although occasionally there are additional meals from my meal prepping I can use.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I plan our meals for the week on Sunday/Monday and shop on Monday on my way home from work. I cook dinner every night, but my lunches are either left-overs, or a simple precooked protein and and vegetables that I steam at work. Breakfast us usually just yogurt and fruit.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I meal prep for the week days on Sunday. Pretty much cooking enough food for every meal for Monday through Friday. It's not that difficult if you don't mind eating the same thing every day. Have a look at this video https://youtu.be/ya_uIbpH0Zc for an example.

The weekends are a little more free form, although occasionally there are additional meals from my meal prepping I can use.

That is the reason why I don't meal prep. My husband and I don't like eating the same thing every night, and I don't ike to spend my Sundays coking for the week ahead. It doesn't work for us.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    I cook 2 meals a day, one meal is for dinner and the other is lunch for the next day...
    I used to eat 6 to 7 times a day now moved to 3 so much easier... got sick off cooking
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually cook dinner. We try to make a menu for the week on Saturday night, and I go to the store Sunday. One or two nights might be leftovers if I make enough extra. Friday we go out. Saturday I may or may not cook; we might just grab whatever is in the fridge or freezer for ourselves and not have a sit down meal together. I make my lunch for work with leftover meat or veg from dinner, or tuna pouch/egg/lunch meat, on salad or some other cooked veg. My breakfast is usually egg white, peanuts, or yogurt(maybe with fruit). Hubby doesn't eat breakfast and he eats meat and a cheese slice for lunch and snacks on fruit. I take fruit and a protein bar for snack at work.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited August 2019
    I hate cooking. I blame it on years of carefully preparing balanced, healthy, mostly organic meals from scratch, to feed to my kids who would rather be eating chicken nuggets!
    Now they're grown, I end up eating a lot of raw fruit and vegetables, maybe microwaving the occasional potato, and my other half cooks a few days a week.

• MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    I cook three times a day
    Breakfast always eggs 5 mins cooking
    Lunch chicken breasts usually takes 15min and if i don't cook i have tuna
    Dinner mostly my (mom❤) makes it

Cooking is easy when u love it =)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member

You really shouldn't assume that things are easy for everyone if they're easy for you.