Share your Numbers

Replies

• corkdorkva
    corkdorkva Posts: 24 Member
    46 and 235 pounds. Looking to lose 80. Third day on MFP and actually did a little yoga yesterday but had two glasses of wine so no change on the scale. That is fine though because it is about a new normal not deprivation.
  • mo8414
    mo8414 Posts: 13 Member
    Been loosing weight for 45 days and down 35LBS. Thats .8 LBS a day. Not bad.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    mo8414 wrote: »
    Been loosing weight for 45 days and down 35LBS. Thats .8 LBS a day. Not bad.

I am happy for your loss. I hope that rate slows down significantly very soon though.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I'm 37, just under 5'8" and 243.6 lbs as of this morning. I started at 263 (BMI: 40) around mid May, so I'm down 19.4 lbs so far. my current goal is 180, which is still classified as "overweight," but it's also the lowest I've ever been as an adult and probably even during high school. ultimately 160 ish would be a nice place to end up.I don't actually know what that would even be like, so I'll need to reassess.

it's weird feeling like I'm in weight loss limbo. I know I feel better, and my body is cleverly rearranging fat stores, but no change really in inches. ah well! I'm doing pics/measurements at the start of each month to help visualize changes.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @amkita You might be finding that you're losing inches in places you wouldn't think to measure! I am a numbers person. I looooove hard, concrete data. So I started taking measurements in all sorts of places: neck, upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist, fingers, upper thigh, middle, etc. I noticed that I lost inches off my scalp. Would I normally care about that? Not at all, but there's no longer a cushion beneath my hair and I had to have my glasses resized. I also lost inches around my neck (also not a place I was focused on), and all while I lost no inches in the "normal" areas: hips, belly, bust, etc.

So you'd be surprised where you might actually lose small increments! (Like fingers! I lost in my fingers first. I was like "no body, I don't need a noodle neck right now or smaller fingers. I need a smaller waistline!"). But the body does as the body will do!

I probably go overboard, but after that realization, I just take measurements everywhere. I do it once a month on the last Saturday/Sunday morning of the month when it's nice and quiet at home.
  • NovusDies
    amkita wrote: »
    I'm 37, just under 5'8" and 243.6 lbs as of this morning. I started at 263 (BMI: 40) around mid May, so I'm down 19.4 lbs so far. my current goal is 180, which is still classified as "overweight," but it's also the lowest I've ever been as an adult and probably even during high school. ultimately 160 ish would be a nice place to end up.I don't actually know what that would even be like, so I'll need to reassess.

it's weird feeling like I'm in weight loss limbo. I know I feel better, and my body is cleverly rearranging fat stores, but no change really in inches. ah well! I'm doing pics/measurements at the start of each month to help visualize changes.

Sometime in the last 10 pounds my body decided it wanted to drain my face again... kind of annoying since my belly has a lot and my face has little but there is no way to control it. I am starting to see why people complain about their friends and family saying they are losing too much. If you looked at me from the shoulders up I kind of look too thin (to me) right now. From the shoulders down though no one would accuse me of wasting away lol.

The point is that it is not always easy to capture. Like many others I have even lost weight in my feet which I would have never caught except my shoes are looser fitting now. I am sure there is some genetic roadmap for weight loss but it seems weird and random like my brain is blindfolded throwing a dart at a picture of my body to determine where the fat will come from next.
  • amkita
    @dhiammarath yeah, that's definitely part of it. I've had to use different loops on my fitbit, and my rings are getting loose, but I don't measure wrists and fingers. :/

seriously though? fingers first?! it's pretty amusing.

how does one measure their scalp?
  • NovusDies
    amkita wrote: »
    @dhiammarath yeah, that's definitely part of it. I've had to use different loops on my fitbit, and my rings are getting loose, but I don't measure wrists and fingers. :/

seriously though? fingers first?! it's pretty amusing.

how does one measure their scalp?

How easily it fits through the banisters of a staircase I think. :smiley:

• amkita
  • dhiammarath
    @amkita Hats. XD Hats tell the tell when the subcutaneous fat in our scalp decreases. Hats and glasses! I don't measure my fingers (except by my rings) but I do measure my wrists. Now, I measure my wrists primarily because I also make jewelry, but it also helped to show where some weight came off, too.
  • NovusDies
    Numbers Day!

I did have my whoosh week on schedule (as annoying as the schedule is).

This the scale moved downward: 5.8 pounds (all that whooshing was hard on electrolytes)
    I am .4 pounds under my lowest range so I am caught up and masking no fat loss at the moment.

3 week RoL : 2.33
    6 week RoL : 2.83

I don't want my weight loss exceeding 2.75 pounds at the moment which I think is too aggressive but I am preparing for surgery and this is required for 2 more months. My 6 week RoL is a touch over but nothing I feel concerned about. After surgery I will be eating maintenance for a couple of weeks to recover then adjusting my rate of loss down to an appropriate level again.

As you can see though managing my rate of loss this way gives me a clearer picture of what is happening. It looks like I lost nearly 6 pounds this week but that is only because the scale barely moved for the 2 weeks before.

• TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Only a 1lb loss today, but I’m officially 2st (28lbs) down!! My first milestone met, and I’ve done it within my three month timescale!!
    Just another 4st to go...
  • NovusDies
    Only a 1lb loss today, but I’m officially 2st (28lbs) down!! My first milestone met, and I’ve done it within my three month timescale!!

Good job on the milestone!

I am envious of the stone system. I would like to say I lost 15 stone so far. The number is so much less.
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I am envious of the stone system. I would like to say I lost 15 stone so far. The number is so much less.

I much prefer working in stones lol it’s seems more, impressive(?), than pounds.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member

I much prefer working in stones lol it’s seems more, impressive(?), than pounds.

A stone is 20 pounds? I love it, coming up on 1 stone!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Numbers Day!

This the scale moved downward: 5.8 pounds (all that whooshing was hard on electrolytes)
    I am .4 pounds under my lowest range so I am caught up and masking no fat loss at the moment.

I don't want my weight loss exceeding 2.75 pounds at the moment which I think is too aggressive but I am preparing for surgery and this is required for 2 more months. My 6 week RoL is a touch over but nothing I feel concerned about. After surgery I will be eating maintenance for a couple of weeks to recover then adjusting my rate of loss down to an appropriate level again.

As you can see though managing my rate of loss this way gives me a clearer picture of what is happening. It looks like I lost nearly 6 pounds this week but that is only because the scale barely moved for the 2 weeks before.

I cant wait to get a little more data so that I can figure out some more of the math specifics. I just dont think I have enough data to get any meaningful information yet.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »

A stone is 20 pounds? I love it, coming up on 1 stone!

It is 14 pounds so you have already lost one.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Numbers Day!

I cant wait to get a little more data so that I can figure out some more of the math specifics. I just dont think I have enough data to get any meaningful information yet.

For men it is 3 weeks although the first week is often "noisy" because of initial water loss. For women it is 6 weeks because of TOM fluctuations.

I added my 6 week because it helps smooth out the deal where my scale barely moves for 2 weeks on a fairly regular basis.

I also track my 4 month rate of loss to compare with my 4 month rate of loss by deficit. This helps me determine if my food logging is in the ballpark.

I can help anyone with any of this as needed. I love data. It really helped me overcome my bad relationship with the bathroom scale.
  • dhiammarath
    At 5'5, my starting weight was 243lbs. Yesterday, I hit 144. (My all-time low at the beginning of June was 143.5). I'm still a pound away from that 100lb badge (grrr! It's hard not to focus on that, truth be told). I'm aiming for 123 (I like round numbers and 120lbs lost sounds better than 118 pounds lost and it's still in the middleish of my healthy range; I have a small frame) but will reassess when I have my next DEXA scan (which should be sometime in the fall -- I get them at a hefty discount from work) as I'm focused more on bf% than just scale weight.

My maintenance range is 123-130 (for now; I'll know for sure when I get there). That's the range I wanna live life in and also based on "my month", I gain between 5-7 pounds whether it's holidays or vacation/birthday month.

So this week... it is possible that I might hit my 100lb mark... I'm still in my "magic week" as I call it, as I lose weight one week a month. XD

I want it so bad. I think it can sense my desperation and is holding out on me!! :lol:

(also a long time ago, to obfuscate the scale's direct impact on me, I converted from pounds to kilograms because the numbers were different enough that I didn't immediately associate a number with a feeling. It helped me, might help someone else!) Which has helped me when I go to the doctor now as they tell me my weight in kilograms. XD