Warm-up sets on weights

Hey guys, do you do any warm up sets while lifting?

Like starting off with smaller weights before going to the main weight for your reps?

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    Yes, I start off with the bar and slowly add weight to work up to the main set.

There are numerous advantages to this approach. One is obviously warming up muscles and priming the CNS for my working sets. Another is doing the lighter reps with good form - this helps to ingrain the good form as muscle memory, and makes it easier to maintain the form on my working set. I strive to everything exactly the same each set, regardless of the weight on the bar.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    It's the only warm I would advice unless you were lifting in a very cold gym in winter months or simular.

I would never recommend warms ups you see suggested by social media "trainers". Things such as foam rolling, stretching, lacrosse ball, band work, etc if you are warming up to lift because they are non specific compared to the lift.

I suggest warming up with the rep scheme to plan on doing for working sets.

So if you are dosed 6×415@ RPE8 for the squat I would suggest this.

Barbell 6-10 reps for 1-3 sets.
    135×6
    225×6
    315×6
    365×6
    415×6 working set(s)

A 315 bench would be along the lines of...
    Barbell 6-10 reps
    95×6
    135×6
    185×6
    225×6
    275×6
    315×6 working set(s)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    It's the only warm I would advice unless you were lifting in a very cold gym in winter months or simular.

I would never recommend warms ups you see suggested by social media "trainers". Things such as foam rolling, stretching, lacrosse ball, band work, etc if you are warming up to lift because they are non specific compared to the lift.

I suggest warming up with the rep scheme to plan on doing for working sets.

So if you are dosed 6×415@ RPE8 for the squat I would suggest this.

Barbell 6-10 reps for 1-3 sets.
    135×6
    225×6
    315×6
    365×6
    415×6 working set(s)

A 315 bench would be along the lines of...
    Barbell 6-10 reps
    95×6
    135×6
    185×6
    225×6
    275×6
    315×6 working set(s)

I do oly lifting so I do a mixture of the stretching, foam rolling and band work, and then lighter weights for the actual lifts I have programmed. It’s partly my age - but there is is no way I can go for a clean and jerk without warming up every part of me! 🤣
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Never did when I was actively lifting and never had any problems as a result.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    My warm up sets are built into my programme, as is my progression and deload.

If I’m coming into the gym cold (winter weather or a pretty stationary day) I’ll do 10 min on the rowing machine.

Cheers, h.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    with Squats , bench & OH press I start with the bar x 10 - then add weight for 3-5 sets untill I get to my training weight . for Deads I start @ 135 and increase from there
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I just do a set of 5 reps with the bar for squats and bench and then get to my working sets. Since my schedule has been off and on lately, my last two workouts I did my normal warmup set, then added weights(5-10lb) for 2-3 more sets before hitting my heavy working sets. No extra warm up sets for ohp or deads, because I'm already warm from squats and bench. I don't spend a lot of time in the gym. My workout consists of around 5-6 main lifts and takes about 40 min to complete.