Bike riding

mzmikly
mzmikly Posts: 10 Member
Since Monday I have started using mapmyride (under armor app) to track my bike riding around my area. It has been cool to see that in the last 3 days I have biked 27 miles!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    That's awesome! 🙂
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Well done - you might find Strava a better choice of app though.

There's a monthly and very free form bike challenge thread you might be interested in....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10752325/july-2019-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge/p1
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Well done - you might find Strava a better choice of app though.

There's a monthly and very free form bike challenge thread you might be interested in....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10752325/july-2019-biking-cycling-bicycling-bike-bicycle-unicycle-tricycle-challenge/p1

Strava yes, if you wanna get more serious. Good on ya.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Another vote for Strava.
  • Claire5520
    Claire5520 Posts: 113 Member
    I do a lot of cycling so might be biased, but Strava is where it's at for me. You can plan routes, sign up to challenges - I love it. And there's a MFP Cycling Challenge Group established which you can join (which isn't hugely used, but needs to get more popular!)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    Why Strava over MMR? I've been biking for years, and have always used MMR. What features does Strava have that are better? Many of my riding club's members use Strava... maybe I should ask them why.
  • gaz458
    gaz458 Posts: 23 Member
    Another vote for Strava.

Strava is more social where you follow your friends and they follow you. Keeps you motivated.

It also has "segments" this is where you go for a ride and it will show up what time you got on a section or road or trail and then adds you to a leader board, you can see your friends and the rest of the world's times more motivation to beat your mates or try for a KOM (fasted recorded time).

Alot of the pro riders also use it and you can follow them on the tours see there avg speeds , gradients ECT
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i find strava to be more accurate - i dropped MMR when i did a 30 mile ride one day and it told me i had done 5
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Strava has a lot great features but is low on privacy protection. Any user in your area can see where you are. There are ways to minimize your exposure but can't eliminate it. You need to decide if you're ok with that.
  • gaz458
    gaz458 Posts: 23 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Strava has a lot great features but is low on privacy protection. Any user in your area can see where you are. There are ways to minimize your exposure but can't eliminate it. You need to decide if you're ok with that.

I think the privacy settings are pretty good.

You can make all rides private so no one can see them.

You can make it so only people that follow you can see ( I only accept follow requests if I know them)

The flyby you can disable

Also make a privacy zone around where you live.
  • NorthCascades
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Why Strava over MMR? I've been biking for years, and have always used MMR. What features does Strava have that are better? Many of my riding club's members use Strava... maybe I should ask them why.

Kudos!
  • lorrpb
    gaz458 wrote: »

You can make it so only people that follow you can see ( I only accept follow requests if I know them)

Ok I will take another look.
  • Machka9

Only if you let them see.
  • Machka9

Yep ... I've got a couple privacy zones set and I've made it so that only people that follow me can see what I do ... and I've got all of about 15 people following me.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Congratulations for getting on the bike! It’s great, low impact exercise. I give a thumbs up for STRAVA as well.
  • NorthCascades

You can make a "privacy zone" near where you live, which basically makes any riding you do within X miles of home invisible. So there's a blank spot on the map, it's a circle, and all of your rides start just outside that circle.

If someone really wants to know, and can find many rides you've done, they can figure it out to some degree. It's a lot of work, and I've never heard of an automated tool for this. (I mean if you map the last 100 rides I did together, you'd see this one circle where I never ride, and it's centered on my home.)

I've heard of military base locations being found out through Strava. Never heard of someone having a bike stolen or being harassed this way.

But it's always wise to things about what info you share, and with whom.
  • lorrpb
    edited July 2019

You can make a "privacy zone" near where you live, which basically makes any riding you do within X miles of home invisible. So there's a blank spot on the map, it's a circle, and all of your rides start just outside that circle.

If someone really wants to know, and can find many rides you've done, they can figure it out to some degree. It's a lot of work, and I've never heard of an automated tool for this. (I mean if you map the last 100 rides I did together, you'd see this one circle where I never ride, and it's centered on my home.)

I've heard of military base locations being found out through Strava. Never heard of someone having a bike stolen or being harassed this way.

But it's always wise to things about what info you share, and with whom.

The max privacy zone is only 5/8 mi around your home. Since all my rides begin 15+ miles from home, that’s not too practical for me.
    fxqerijebp6k.jpeg
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member

The max privacy zone is only 5/8 mi around your home. Since all my rides begin 15+ miles from home, that’s not too practical for me.

You can define multiple zones, also does not have to be just your home it can be anywhere.
  • Machka9
    You can set your privacy for your profile page, activities, group activities, and the flybys.

Then you can set up a whole bunch of privacy zones, and they can be set for a radius of 1 km. I've got 2 at the moment.
  • lorrpb
    That's the prob, even if up to 2 km, which I don't see on my phone, you don't have privacy outside of that. Really cumbersome to set that limited of a zone for every 2km you might ride on all your common routes. For a 30k route you'd have to set up 15 zones just to get your data and maintain privacy.