Share Your Day

Replies

• dsueteel
    dsueteel Posts: 7 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    Today I'm working a half day then driving six hours (with my 6 y/o daughter) to go see my folks for the weekend. Going to push myself to stay active this weekend and also to stay on track with my eating. Knowing my mother, she won't make either of those goals easy.

Its good that you're already mindful before the weekend even begins. That means you are conscious of what your eating. I know it can be even harder when you have a kid. Stopping for snacks, grandparents always having dessert for them, or stopping for a happy meal is just the easiest thing to do. At least that's how it is with my 6 year old. Plus add in the stress of driving 6 hours, after working hard, AND having a little one with you. Just be positive, and conscious of what you're doing. Also enjoy your weekend with your family! You got this :)
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Today I am up a pound (which does nothing for my hyper-focus on the dumb scale) because of water weight (I know it's not fat). But I hoofed my bum out onto a nature walk with a friend despite the burning ball in the sky that wants to fry me like pancakes on a griddle. (I had to go out decked in a hat and light UV jacket because I'm basically a vampire that will burst into sunburn within a good 10 mins in the sun). :lol:

I call it a win! The best part about being warm today... SWIMMIN' WHEN I GET HOME. Hollaaa! Bonus exercise today. :lol:
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Today has turned into a maintenance day for me, it started with cake for breakfast so that was a bad sign lol. It's quite tough at work at the moment and stress is one of my triggers for over eating. However, I've been in a good deficit all week, with 2 swimming sessions, so there should be no "damage" and according to my fitbit I haven't gone over my burn calories.
    My mechanism to minimise the opportunity to go mad is an early night to read a book so I'm signing off soon and will be back on track tomorrow.
    Have a good weekend everyone.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    I'm very happy to share that we weekend is going great so far. I hit -70 yesterday and dropped another pound and a half as of this morning.

We spent all day yesterday walking around and I wound up burning something crazy like 1800 extra calories from that.

Congrats, have a great weekend
  • corkdorkva
    corkdorkva Posts: 24 Member
    I am starting today renewed after a bad end to last night. Went to a dinner party, banked calories and did extra exercise during the day. Got there and the food was terrible- not in a calorie way, in a yucky tasting way. I ate a little because I was starving and by the time we left, the only thing open was late night sports bars. My husband and I both were about to eat our fists so we gave in and got a pepperoni pizza to share. I had two pieces plus four of his tater tots and a glass of wine. Not a terrible slip, but it was late and I woke up feeling not so hot. I am back on track this morning.
  • Jackie9003
    Well done on sharing the pizza, little things like that do make a difference.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    I decided to switch my slightly higher calorie day and have it today instead of tomorrow. I have been dragging for a few days due to the higher calorie deficit. I have not gotten accustomed to it and I might not. I don't want to feel low all weekend so today I did pizza for lunch. Ate an entire medium thin crust which is my normal on pizza days. Before I ate it I had squash, cauliflower, and an egg white frittata (low cal stuff) to make sure when I finished my pizza I would be good and full and not eyeballing whatever my wife was not going to eat of hers.

The higher calories today + higher than normal carbs should perk me up. The extra calories/energy should translate into more movement since my steps have been lagging for the last 4 days. Basically it should be a wash or close to it which is why I feel comfortable doing this even though the weight goal for the surgery is right around the corner.

Thought I would share my thought process on this in case it helped someone else with energy management which is pretty important during prolonged deficits imo. Learning to balance myself was trial and error obviously but I feel like I have a decent handle on it now.

ETA: To explain I added 500 calories to today in hopes that it will add 400 or so calories more will be in activity since I have lost about that much this week over normal.
  • jjlewey
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I decided to switch my slightly higher calorie day and have it today instead of tomorrow. I have been dragging for a few days due to the higher calorie deficit. I have not gotten accustomed to it and I might not. I don't want to feel low all weekend so today I did pizza for lunch. Ate an entire medium thin crust which is my normal on pizza days. Before I ate it I had squash, cauliflower, and an egg white frittata (low cal stuff) to make sure when I finished my pizza I would be good and full and not eyeballing whatever my wife was not going to eat of hers.

The higher calories today + higher than normal carbs should perk me up. The extra calories/energy should translate into more movement since my steps have been lagging for the last 4 days. Basically it should be a wash or close to it which is why I feel comfortable doing this even though the weight goal for the surgery is right around the corner.

Thought I would share my thought process on this in case it helped someone else with energy management which is pretty important during prolonged deficits imo. Learning to balance myself was trial and error obviously but I feel like I have a decent handle on it now.

I was sorely tempted by the chinese buffet today. I miss that place, have not been there in a long time. We went shopping without eating lunch, drove by it. I stayed strong and made some chicken fajitas instead. Gonna need a "pizza day" soon though.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »

I was sorely tempted by the chinese buffet today. I miss that place, have not been there in a long time. We went shopping without eating lunch, drove by it. I stayed strong and made some chicken fajitas instead. Gonna need a "pizza day" soon though.

That is good. It would not be a good idea to suddenly go to a buffet or to give a potentially high calorie craving instant gratification. Those things are better carefully planned. Speaking of which if you were sorely tempted you will need a plan for how to handle the buffet at some point, won't you? Have you ever tried banking calories for a larger treat/treat meal?
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Today was a bad day.
    There’s a big family party on Saturday, I’ve got an outfit which I love! It’s summery, colourful, bold, and a style I would never normally wear but I thought I could now carry off.
    Today I needed to get shoes to go.... I could not find a single pair to suit, in my size, in the whole of the shopping centre!! I ended up buying a pair I liked but don’t really match.
    And then I came home, I’m stressed, tired, I’ve talked myself into thinking I’ll look stupid, tried the whole outfit on and now I hate it. Telling myself I look fat and frumpy, I can’t pull it off and I’m refusing to go to the party.
    So I’m now sat miserable and snapping at everyone and normally I’d comfort eat a pizza but I’m telling myself I can’t because I’m fat and will just get fatter and now I’m crying. All over a pair shoes.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Today was a bad day.
    There’s a big family party on Saturday, I’ve got an outfit which I love! It’s summery, colourful, bold, and a style I would never normally wear but I thought I could now carry off.
    Today I needed to get shoes to go.... I could not find a single pair to suit, in my size, in the whole of the shopping centre!! I ended up buying a pair I liked but don’t really match.
    And then I came home, I’m stressed, tired, I’ve talked myself into thinking I’ll look stupid, tried the whole outfit on and now I hate it. Telling myself I look fat and frumpy, I can’t pull it off and I’m refusing to go to the party.
    So I’m now sat miserable and snapping at everyone and normally I’d comfort eat a pizza but I’m telling myself I can’t because I’m fat and will just get fatter and now I’m crying. All over a pair shoes.

Sounds frustrating. Maybe just wear something else instead of not going?
  • NovusDies
    Today was a bad day.

I am sorry you are having a bad day. That sucks. Find something to punch. Preferably not someone's face. You picked the outfit because you were feeling bold and powerful. That inner warrior doesn't stay down for long.
  • LilSkittles22
    LilSkittles22 Posts: 22 Member
    Today was a bad day.

I'm so sorry you are having a rough day :( This makes me very sad for you. I know you already bought the shoes, so do you have something else in your closet that they will match with? Maybe you will happen upon good shoes that will match your original outfit at a later date. Everyone has crummy days, it's just life unfortunately. Maybe try to put it all out of your mind for the rest of the day (I know way easier said than done), and then start fresh tomorrow trying to find a solution. I would not be so quick to decide not to go. If it's family, I'm sure they won't care what you wear. I'm sure they will just be happy you're there. I'm an emotional eater, so I totally understand the desire to eat a whole pizza and bask in the comfort of food. Can you maybe indulge in a small treat that might meet the comfort need, but will fit into your calories and won't make you feel worse about yourself? I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Just remember, an outfit can help, but it doesn't make you beautiful. You already are beautiful and no outfit can change that.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Today was a bad day.

A whole different situation, but your words could be my words.

I have a pair of pants that I love and got on clearance but they were in the wrong size. So I got the right size in another clearance sale but in the right size. I was so excited! This weekend, I felt pretty good overall. I wore summery stuff and felt like a rockstar. Today, I put on the new pants (they arrived on Friday) and get to work. I feel something weird (these pants have a fun rainbow stripe down the side) and look down. The stripe has come undone.

So now, not only is my weight up (Logically it is because I have a) sunburn and b) ate more yesterday than I normally do) but I've got pants that are falling apart at work and I can't go home and change (the stripe luckily is just sewn to the pants and the pants themselves aren't falling apart). But it brings back memories of when I'd split my pants sitting in a booth. It makes me feel fat and gross and I sat here feeling down for a good bit.

So I totally understand. Feels are irrational and will be feels no matter what. What matters is how you harness them. The biggest lesson I've learned in this whole 7 year "journey" is that it is important to choose.

Reframe your experience: You don't have shoes that match perfectly, but maybe instead of trying to find shoes that match, enjoy wearing shoes you love. Having slightly off-matched shoes can actually be funky and fun. Saying things like, "I am going to choose to feel good about this," sometimes can help. When it feels less like things are happening to us, and more that we are choosing to own what's happened and make it our own, then it gives the feeling of power over circumstance.

Words, even when said silent and in our head, have power. They have power to direct the feels. They have power to make us feel powerless. "The shoes might not match and I might be a little less refined, but this dress looks awesome and so I'm going to wear it!"

Instead of "I'm fat." --> "I still have weight to lose, and that's okay, but that doesn't mean that I cannot enjoy this transitional phase. This is not my forever, but I can enjoy my right now."

"I'm gross." --> "My weight doesn't define me! I still have improvements to make, but I'm making improvements, and that's what matters."

"I'll never get there and feel good." --> "This is a long game, and I'm only at the beginning (or middle). I will get to where I'm going but I need to remember to feel good about today! Today, I am proud of myself for not giving into temptation! That will make tomorrow's changes easier to make."

In the end, battling the feels is hard. I struggle with this daily.

"I am not where I want to be." "I will never get to my goal." "The weight will never come off." --> "I might not be where I thought I would be but month over month I lost 2 inches. The weight will come off, and eventually, I will get my goal because I will persevere!" I have to give myself a pep talk each day. It's why I think it's so important to frame your thoughts in positive ways and to really tell yourself at least ONE thing positive that you're proud of yourself for. Weight loss related or not. Because positive thoughts drive positive behavior which drives positive outcomes.

Hug! Good luck.
  • Jackie9003
    Awww @TwinThompson *hugs*
    Have you got a pair of comfortable black or white shoes? Instead of trying to find the perfect match how about going for a trusted favourite pair and buy yourself a new handbag instead?
    If you were happy with your outfit when you bought it then it'll still be gorgeous - it hasn't changed, you've just lost a little bit of confidence.

Go to the party, show off the new you and wait for the compliments to come in.
    Go get 'em!!
    (and yes, don't have pizza)
  • TwinThompson
    TwinThompson Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks everyone. I’ve had a cry and my sister has calmed me down. I’ve decided on two outfits and see which one feels better on the day, and I’ve got shoes to go with each one!
    And I’ve compromised on a pizza fakeaway for tea.
    I hate days like today, I’ve just got to remember I won’t always feel like this xx
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey wrote: »

That is good. It would not be a good idea to suddenly go to a buffet or to give a potentially high calorie craving instant gratification. Those things are better carefully planned. Speaking of which if you were sorely tempted you will need a plan for how to handle the buffet at some point, won't you? Have you ever tried banking calories for a larger treat/treat meal?

I need to plan a buffet trip but the idea of trying to figure out all of those calories is daunting. Probably my next buffet will be on my cruise in September. Most days I am not feeling bad or out of balance with food. I have been eating around 2500 calories on an average day. Which emotionally feels about right, even though much that I have read has said that is probably a little low for my current weight. I think the main pull of the chinese buffet that day was that I hadn't eaten yet that day. I need to make sure to eat before going out.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    After my weekend away (birthday celebrations- booze/hot tub/hiking/no logging) my weight was almost back to my start weight thanks to about 6lbs of water gain. It was a bit of a wake up call, or at least more of a wake up call, I've been watching my weight go back on steadily for months but just haven't done much about it.

So now I am going to follow my own advice and make some small changes a couple at a time.

This week I am focusing on getting back to accurate logging, increasing my NEAT and doing some strength training. I'm leaving off my 5k running plan for a while as it's something I'd like to do but it's not top of my priorities.

@TwinThompson I often have days like that, glad you've managed to bounce back from it.
  • jjlewey
    After my weekend away (birthday celebrations- booze/hot tub/hiking/no logging) my weight was almost back to my start weight thanks to about 6lbs of water gain. It was a bit of a wake up call, or at least more of a wake up call, I've been watching my weight go back on steadily for months but just haven't done much about it.

So now I am going to follow my own advice and make some small changes a couple at a time.

This week I am focusing on getting back to accurate logging, increasing my NEAT and doing some strength training. I'm leaving off my 5k running plan for a while as it's something I'd like to do but it's not top of my priorities.

@TwinThompson I often have days like that, glad you've managed to bounce back from it.

For me accurate logging is one of the most effective tools. Just the act of logging changes what I will decide to eat. I can delude myself or ignore high calories when I dont log. I remember when I first started to log one of my first omg moments was chocolate chip cookies. Before I always had them in the house and would think nothing of grabbing a half dozen and a glass of milk to wash them down. Needless to say, we dont buy chips ahoy anymore lol. The calories are not worth it to me.