If there was ONE thing about maintenance you would share with everyone...

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I am down 30 pounds and 6 months in ‘practice maintenance’.

1 Big Takeaway: Accurate logging is the ONLY way to know if I am eating under, on, or over the calories needed for my particular eating plan. (Lose, maintain, gain - different calories requirements).

My stats: 63yo,F, 5’4”, CW-169 GW-140

At 1/2 pound per week loss plan, MFP allows me 1400 calories a day.

I have slow but steady 30 pounds still to go, and this awareness about accurate logging, and my success with the practice maintenance reinforces my confidence in the long term success of reaching and sticking to my goal weight.

Good luck to us all.
  • nooie19
    nooie19 Posts: 153 Member
    mjglantz wrote: »
    I've been maintaining for over 6 years (4/13) and the best advice is to keep doing what you were doing to lose weight. I still track everything and I exercise everyday. And I weigh a couple of times/week no matter what.

I love this! That’s pretty much my latest “ah-ha”. I recently let my weight creep back up to seven pounds over my maintenance range. But now I’m losing again by re-committing to the same old healthy habits. I’m learning that I need to weigh in at least once a week and log daily.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    edited August 2019
    Male. 65. Down 50 lbs. Maintained for eighteen months. Working on slowly losing another 20.

For me, it's vigilance. I weigh and log daily. Like many here, I have lost and regained weight in the past. I don't get distressed if I indulge for a day or three, but I get back on program as soon as possible. It took a lot of effort to lose that 50 lbs. and I'm not going back there. EVER.
    35 lbs lost. Weigh in at 165lbs now.

Do ya one better (of course), buddy. I log each food separately, not using the meal feature; I force myself to look at what I ate. Maybe once a quarter is when I cheat bigly, I might accidentally forget to log in that day.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Another one jumping on the bandwagon of vigilance. Also maintenance is kind of tiresome because when you are actively trying to lose weight you have the "yippee" moments when the scale or the measurements reduce. Maintenance is just booooring. Fortunately I have got keen on weight training, so I can now concentrate on attritional gains there and it gives me something health-related to aim for.
  • Susan3758
    Susan3758 Posts: 77 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Another one jumping on the bandwagon of vigilance. Also maintenance is kind of tiresome because when you are actively trying to lose weight you have the "yippee" moments when the scale or the measurements reduce. Maintenance is just booooring. Fortunately I have got keen on weight training, so I can now concentrate on attritional gains there and it gives me something health-related to aim for.

Boring is a state of mind, make your maintenance exiting by rejoicing in seeing that the numbers in the scale are mostly steady and within normal range. Be proud of yourself for being resilient, organized, vigilant, and engaged in your health and well being. Great job too concentrating in your weight training!

Yes exactly this.