New members

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,054 Member
    Welcome Marky1965 (kid...). That sounds like a demanding trek. While not a Christian, I admire the toughness needed to do something like this.
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Farback wrote: »
    Welcome Marky1965 (kid...). That sounds like a demanding trek. While not a Christian, I admire the toughness needed to do something like this.

I am not a Christian either & you don’t need to be to do the trek. It is a very enlightening experience though walking by yourself & with the new people you meet daily.
  • akalostangel
    akalostangel Posts: 7 Member
    I'm Christine. I am 55. My screen says I've lost 19 pounds. In actuality I've lost 35 pounds. I was forced to make major life changes when I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. My fasting blood glucose level was 324 (normal is less than 100) and my A1C was 15 (7 or below is normal). At first I was terrified. My first thoughts were "what am I going to eat? How can I not go hungry?" Then I made a decision that I was going to eat and I was not going to be hungry. And I used Google A LOT! I found some great websites with some delicious, low calorie, low carb recipes and food suggestions. I found this site which helps me keep track and stay within my goals.

I am a wife and a mother of a 26 year old, and I work full time. I have 2 Boston Terriers, Peanut and Goober. Goober is old and not well. I anticipate coming home one day and finding he's taken his last breath.

I like to read and play video games, neither of which provide any physical activity, unfortunately, so I have taken up walking as well.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,813 Member
    I'm Christine. I am 55. My screen says I've lost 19 pounds. In actuality I've lost 35 pounds. I was forced to make major life changes when I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. My fasting blood glucose level was 324 (normal is less than 100) and my A1C was 15 (7 or below is normal). At first I was terrified. My first thoughts were "what am I going to eat? How can I not go hungry?" Then I made a decision that I was going to eat and I was not going to be hungry. And I used Google A LOT! I found some great websites with some delicious, low calorie, low carb recipes and food suggestions. I found this site which helps me keep track and stay within my goals.

I am a wife and a mother of a 26 year old, and I work full time. I have 2 Boston Terriers, Peanut and Goober. Goober is old and not well. I anticipate coming home one day and finding he's taken his last breath.

I like to read and play video games, neither of which provide any physical activity, unfortunately, so I have taken up walking as well.

Welcome aboard, Christine! Exercising is more about quality of life than diet/weight loss. While it is possible to lose weight by exercising without changing diet, it's not easy by a long stretch. Best case scenario is the combination thereof.

Walking is a wonderful exercise...one of my favourites... although, as a Canadian, it is unavailable to me seasonally...
  • walterskh
    walterskh Posts: 19 Member
    Hi...I have been away too long and now 3 grandchildren later...I want to look and feel better.

35402148.png
  • UncleMac
    walterskh wrote: »
    Hi...I have been away too long and now 3 grandchildren later...I want to look and feel better.

35402148.png

Welcome and congrats on the grands!!
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,054 Member
    Welcome, and congrats on the grandkids. I have six, and find them more fun than when I was a young dad. More time, and money to spoil them. My oldest grandson and I are headed to a mountain bike park as soon as we get more than one sunny day in a row,
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Welcome to all our new members
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited July 2019
    New to this group so allow me to introduce myself! Here I am, trying to get back at it...I joined MFP a few years ago and I've been on and off for a while now. I'm living on my own...well with my dog and my cat, so I'll need some folks to keep me on track! Glad to find this group here! I like the idea of having the support of folks around my age that might be going through the same struggles I am, along with having the same life experiences :)
  • Laurac0914
    Laurac0914 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi...just joined this group. I have been using this app for awhile but never connected with a group.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Hi everyone. I just joined this group today. I've been an on-and-off MFP user for several years. I've lost my motivation. Trying to connect with others in the same boat. I really don't like to exercise, but will do so begrudgingly. My hubby and I did The Whole 30 last year - which worked, but the thought of starting such a restrictive diet again has traumatized me. I'd like to lose a minimum of 20 lbs. in a healthy, sensible manner. Can anyone else relate?
  • JJsGirl2014
    JJsGirl2014 Posts: 20 Member
    Good morning everyone! My name is Dee. Just joined the group this morning. I also have lost my motivation. 😔 Haven't been eating as well as I would like. I've made up my mind to get things in order. I'm not getting any younger and I'm not getting leaner nor stronger. I want to lose 50 pounds so I may get off of my diabetic medication, lower my blood pressure and cholesterol. I have to do better and being single, working 12 hour shifts at night has proven to be a challenge to my weight loss efforts. I look forward to being successful in 2019.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,935 Member
    Welcome @Laurac0914, @balancebean, and @JJsGirl2014! I think you'll find this is a supportive group. Stay in touch, and let us know how your journey is going. One person on here pointed me (and everyone else) to another supportive group called "Lose 1 Pound A Week and Keep It Off! 2019."

I think most folks here would advise AGAINST doing a very restrictive diet. I am not familiar with the "Whole 30" diet. I imagine it focuses on "whole" foods like whole grains & fresh vegetables, and minimizes processed foods. That's all fine, and eating nutritious food helps fuel your body. Most folks here will probably suggest it's the calorie deficit that will fuel weight loss, but that just doesn't sell books or special foods. Eat what you want, but use moderation! I like to think of a three-legged stool. Calories are the weight leg. You gain, lose, or maintain based on energy balance. Your choice of what you eat is the nutrition leg. Your body will work better if you feed it high quality foods. The last leg is fitness. Adding exercise is just plain a good idea. It can help with the energy balance, but on its own it builds good health -- both cardio and weight training are good for you. The equation is simple, but doing it ain't.

You'll probably read sometime soon where I will tell someone it's totally fine to go off the rails from time to time. I believe this. It can be good for your head! Just pay attention when you're doing it, then don't feel guilty about it afterwards. Just get back on the main path and continue the journey. Those little side trips open us up to neat experiences, and THAT is what life is all about.

Stick around and share your successes with us!

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Welcome to all our new members. Thank you for your introductions. We are a very friendly group here. We look forward to getting to know you all better as time goes on. :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    Hi I'm 56 retired married with 3 grown up children 4 grandchildren, 2 dog, 2 cat, 6 fish. Trying to lose a stone.
  • UncleMac
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Hi I'm 56 retired married with 3 grown up children 4 grandchildren, 2 dog, 2 cat, 6 fish. Trying to lose a stone.

That's quite a collection! Welcome, one and all... except that stone which can leave anytime!!
  • DJMKT
    DJMKT Posts: 39 Member
    55, trying to lose 63 lbs. Recommitted this week to counting calories and getting control of my stress/emotional eating. Over the past 5 years, have moved across states twice, taken on a new job, and managed thru the challenge of aging parents and grieving their passing.

On the flip side 3 yrs ago I discovered a sport that I love that has helped me stay more active than I might have otherwise, and helped me meet people and make new friends with each of my moves.

Am focusing on incremental goals that will get me to my target weight and fitness goals, starting with losing 10lbs by mid-October, and plan to celebrate on the water paddling my heart out in a Dragonboat race.