Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting - Is it a good idea?

12345679»

Replies

• lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Again like I said we don’t agree so...
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The problem is claiming that IF is superior because of alleged "helps reduce inflammation" and the rest leads to the question "compared to what?" -- any way of eating that is not IF? Very unlikely. Some other ways of eating that are likely not the norm or not the norm among health conscious people? Maybe, but you might do better focusing on other things (like food choice or amount) vs. timing.

Certainly with things like inflammation and microbiome, to pick just a couple, food choice is likely much more significant. From what I've read of the anti aging folk (whom I am skeptical of, but whatever), daily IF is seen as less of an issue than occasional fasting (which means different things, could be weekly 24 hours, could be rarer occasional fasts) plus a beneficial diet (i.e., lower protein, lots of veg, among other things).

So again I think the focus on "eating in a window" as the OneTrueThing is really odd.

• lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    I do a 14/10 IF...I don’t think it really has an impact on my body that differs from when I was not doing this, as I’m still eating the same amount of calories and the same foods. I enjoy eating larger meals in shorter time frames personally.

I think the one benefit to my IF is that having the fast schedule gets me to bed sooner and gets me a better, longer night of sleep, which was a huge issue for me before. And, I just think it’s because my food is on a schedule, so at 9:30 pm when I begin my fast, I’m also thinking bedtime is an hour away. So, I think just forcing a schedule on an eating gets me to force a schedule on my sleeping...

So while I feel more energetic, productive, and healthy when I moved to IF, I think that’s due to having a more regimented schedule and sleeping consistently and more during this time.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/diet-reviews/intermittent-fasting/

Dropout rates ranged from 0-65%. When comparing dropout rates between the fasting groups and continuous calorie restriction groups, no significant differences were found. Overall, the review did not find that intermittent fasting had a low dropout rate, and therefore was not necessarily easier to follow than other weight loss approaches.
    When examining the 12 clinical trials that compared the fasting group with the continuous calorie restriction group, there was no significant difference in weight loss amounts or body composition changes.
    Ten trials that investigated changes in appetite did not show an overall increase in appetite in the intermittent fasting groups despite significant weight loss and decreases in leptin hormone levels (a hormone that suppresses appetite).

A randomized controlled trial that followed 100 obese individuals for one year did not find intermittent fasting to be more effective than daily calorie restriction. [6] For the 6-month weight loss phase, subjects were either placed on an alternating day fast (alternating days of one meal of 25% of baseline calories versus 125% of baseline calories divided over three meals) or daily calorie restriction (75% of baseline calories divided over three meals) following the American Heart Association guidelines. After 6 months, calorie levels were increased by 25% in both groups with a goal of weight maintenance. Participant characteristics of the groups were similar; mostly women and generally healthy. The trial examined weight changes, compliance rates, and cardiovascular risk factors. Their findings when comparing the two groups:

No significant differences in weight loss, weight regain, or body composition (e.g., fat mass, lean mass).
    No significant differences in blood pressure, heart rate, fasting glucose, and fasting insulin. At 12 months, although there were no differences in total cholesterol and triglycerides, the alternate-day fasting group showed significantly increased LDL cholesterol levels. The authors did not comment on a possible cause.
    The dropout rate was higher in the alternate-day fasting group (38%) than in the daily calorie restriction group (29%). Interestingly, those in the fasting group actually ate less food than prescribed on non-fasting days though they ate more food than prescribed on fasting days.

Objective data as opposed to hucksters YouTube videos. Nice work!

BTW, I've seen the video posted above before. A thought that went through my mind while viewing it was, "would you buy a used car from this guy?" But that's just me...

No lol - no judgement though! :D
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    So what might surprise some as coming from me, a positive study for IF - although the study's results were actually negative - as in no difference.

In a study of women following TRF (the literature term for most forms of IF) during resistance training, it was found that there was no difference in hypertrophy outcomes between TRF and non-TRF.
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqz126/5527779

I'm interested to see if there will be any more studies like this. I don't know how well I could do IF during maintenance, but it would be nice to see it isn't worth concerning myself about getting spaced out protein feedings.
  • rlfrausto
    rlfrausto Posts: 23 Member
    It works well for me lost 20 lbs in the last three months, I will keep going........