Meals with less fat ???

shelbycataldo
shelbycataldo Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2019 in Recipes
I’ve never dieted through food before and have no clue where to start. I’m usually never home, or never have time to cook so I’m constantly spending money on food that’s bad for me..
what are good meals with low calories and less fat? (I can only have 30% fat all day) Anything would be helpful!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Many restaurants have nutritional information for their food on their websites. Fast food chains tend to be more consistent in preparation so I'd trust their info a bit more.

Calorie and/or macro counting takes experience and practice to get good at doing. Start exploring and you'll learn as you go.
  • WSwalknLAC9000
    WSwalknLAC9000 Posts: 57 Member
    What are your goals? Is there a reason you are trying to limit your fats?
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    If you eat out a lot then you need to pay closer attention to fat content. It's usually much higher in restaurants. Some fat is necessary in your diet.

You can pick healthier options like salads and add a piece of grilled chicken breast - you'd be surprised how many fast food places can do this if it's an ingredient they offer in other meals. Sometimes I get a plain burger patty on a side salad. Still check the fat content. Use low or nonfat low calorie salad dressing instead of ranch or even instead of mayo and cheese if you get a sandwich. Get no cheese if you can - can't really taste it anyway. Add more lettuce and tomato. Eat a sandwich open face style with a knife and fork. Weird I know but it seems like more food. Say goodbye to fries or maybe limit those to a small serving once a week.

I find salty foods make me hungry faster. Egg McMuffin isn't high calorie but it also doesn't keep me full for more than an hour.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Anything that's mostly vegetables, salad(avoid lots dressing),fruit's (except avacado,coconut) will be low fat but you have to note the cooking method. Avoid anything that's fried especially deep fried. Anything creamy,nutty or with coconut will be higher fat as will processed meats, fish and chicken or vegetarian options are usually best. If calorie info is added, anything under 600calories for a meal will tend to be on the lower fat side as fat has more calories per gram than others. Carbs on their own like rice and pasta and potato are low fat but often have fat added in cooking like frying,added butter etc plus higher calories than veg.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2019
    Have you thought about crock pot recipes? There are several sites devoted to how to spend a few hours on 1 day getting everything into freezer bags for a week or more so all you have to do is toss it in the crock pot in the morning and let it cook while you are out.

Also, I'm not on any specific diet, but I find that just setting my goal for weight loss to calculate my calories/day and logging those calories helps. It helps me make better decisions on how much to eat, and to look for healthier options - I recently discovered Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortillas, only 50 calories each (regular flour are about 140), with 43% daily fiber per tortilla.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Assuming your 30% fat number is coming from the MFP macros, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's laid out a little confusing, but some of the items are better thought of as minimum goals (such as protein, fiber, and fat). Going over the 30% mark isn't a problem, so long as you're hitting your other goals and getting all of the vitamins, minerals, etc. that you need as well. Hope that helps.